News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fiber glass vs. Metal

Started by Nat, February 04, 2017, 01:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nat

Hey guys!

So the body of my charger has some rust. The mechanic I brought the car too suggested to go fiber glass for the pros of being lightweight, rust-free, and cheaper then replacing with metal parts. I enjoy the pros of fiber glass but I do want to stay as original as I can.

So my question to you guys and gals with years of experience on me.. Which one would you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

alfaitalia

Depends where it is...hood, trunk lid, doors...fibre is fine imo. Fenders, roof, front or rear valance ...it needs to be steel imo. Anywhere that affects the structural rigidity or crash safety of the body should be steel. Advantages of fibre glass or more technically correct GRP (glass reinforced plastic)...light weight, cheap, easy to repair and reshape. Disadvantages....weak, flexible which can lead to paint crazes and cracks without a good plasticisor (spelling?) And my personal hate, a horrible rippley finish...no matter how long you spend on prep it will never be as flat and glossy as steel. Carbon is a good but expensive alternative...as long as it's proper pre-preg, autoclave cured carbon and not cheap wet laid Chinese rubbish. Having sad that I might have to get fibre for my hood....not sure I can bring myself to cut up a good steel hood...and carbon is out of budget...over here at least.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Troy

Most fiberglass parts on the market for these cars have very poor fit and finish. So, using them will depend on how nice you'd like the car to look and/or the amount of time and effort you're willing to spend to make them look decent. Yes, they are lighter. Are you going racing?

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

70 sublime

If you ever want to try and sell your creation down the road make sure you factor in you paid less to get fiberglass parts than metal ones
I think the difference in the price between getting metal or fiberglass at this stage of the game you will have a lot less valuable car than the difference in the cost of metal parts now

If it is a money thing and you just want to drive it as your car go for it  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green