News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Anti theft relay

Started by rtsb, February 05, 2017, 06:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtsb

I"m installing a relay for a no start switch. I'm having a hard time understanding the ignition part .The instructions say to find the the ignition starter wire along or coming from the steering column . This is the wire providing power from the ignition switch to the starter.
The relay has 4 wires one wire says to connect to the ignition side  the other wire says  to connect to the starter side.

On the wiring diagram start is yellow, black is acc, dark blue is ign 1,brown is ign 2.
What one do I connect to the ignition side ?
I tapped in to the starter wire  that goes to the starter relay already for the starter side and connected it to the relay.

Gold Rush

It is a bit unclear exactly what you are doing.  I know what your end goal is but it seems to me you are missing a switch somewhere or is it built in to the relay?

The object is to interrupt B+ coming from the ignition switch before it is sent forward to the start relay or ignition.  Usually these are separate functions.  The B+ for started relay only is present with ignition switch in the start position while the power to the ignition itself must be there during start and run.

Once you've decided which function you are going to interrupt it depends on the hardware you are installing.  If the relay you are using is a typical four pin auto style, two pins are for the relay coil and the other two for the contacts.  But again if you do not have a separate switch and the relay does not have one built in then you are short the control.  Give us more info and I think we can get it worked out..   :think:
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

rtsb

It's a 4 wire relay here are some pics of it. One relay wire goes to the negative side of the switch I'm assuming it's the off position so I grounded the the on side to the frame. Then I connected the black wire from the relay to the starter solenoid wire. And now I'm trying to figure out what wire to connect to on the ignition for it to work. I've tried posting pics but it keeps telling me I'm timedoing out.

Gold Rush

looks like you have a toggle switch there.  PM Sent....
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

RECHRGD

I just hid a toggle switch under the dash and wired it into the neutral safety switch circuit.  No relay required......
13.53 @ 105.32