News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can anyone tell me what part this is?

Started by moparqueen, February 08, 2017, 06:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparqueen

I need to order this part for my 68 charger that I am replacing but the pictures on ebay do not do much justice when searching.. I cant tell if its an inner "REAR" rocker or the outer rocker which must be really really long then im thinking because this piece right here that is rotted is at theear right above the inner quarter and the quarter lays right on top of it.. for anyone that has replaced this part and knows what this is i would gladly appreciate it if you can point out what i need to order and some tips on replacing, i am doing the work myself..

BLK 68 R/T

I'm thinking this one. If the rest of the rocker is good and rust free, no reason to replace it all IMO. Just cut out all the bad and cut what you need off of the new one.
http://www.autometaldirect.com/--p-3436.html

green69rt

This is a major connection between the front and rear of the car so you need to brace and support the car thoroughly so the car doesn't twist or sag.  there is at least one internal brace that you need to save or make a replacement.

Start reading this thread, on page 2 close to the bottom,  and you can see some of the things you may run into.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,54582.25.html

green69rt

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on February 08, 2017, 06:31:12 PM
I'm thinking this one. If the rest of the rocker is good and rust free, no reason to replace it all IMO. Just cut out all the bad and cut what you need off of the new one.
http://www.autometaldirect.com/--p-3436.html

Oops, you're right,  :eek2:

moparqueen

Thank you so much for you both replying to me, i dont have guidance doing this so i really appreciate it :)

To Green69RT, i noticed you supported the car under the torsion bar? im thinking thats where i should place my jackstands then cause right now they are underneath my rockers, im thinking i should brace the door jambs also? and from the inside?

To BLK68R/T thats what i was thinking to? maybe i can get away with just replacing the part thats rotted and patch with a new patch from cutting the new panel? but i do have sand in my rockers because i got it from new mexico, thats the only thing that worries me, that stuff looks orange clay lol

BLK 68 R/T

If you can get all the clay/sand out of the inside of the rocker and the rest of it looks good with just some minor surface rust, they do make rust encapsulating
paint that you spray inside to keep the rust at bay.

Bracing the car will be important if you end up replacing the entire panel. Good support from the underside and front to rear door opening brace on each side and then an x brace between the 2 sides. Take a bunch of measurements after you get it braced, then once you get your old panel out and the new one temporarily installed with sheet metal screws take the measurements again and see if anything changed. If all is good still start welding it in while doing spot checks on measurements periodically throughout the process.

green69rt

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on February 09, 2017, 09:11:24 AM
If you can get all the clay/sand out of the inside of the rocker and the rest of it looks good with just some minor surface rust, they do make rust encapsulating

Bracing the car will be important if you end up replacing the entire panel. Good support from the underside and front to rear door opening brace on each side and then an x brace between the 2 sides. Take a bunch of measurements after you get it braced, then once you get your old panel out and the new one temporarily installed with sheet metal screws take the measurements again and see if anything changed. If all is good still start welding it in while doing spot checks on measurements periodically throughout the process.
:yesnod:

Lennard

alfaitalia

I know several that would give you a punch on the nose for a comment like that Lol! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Lennard

Quote from: alfaitalia on February 11, 2017, 11:27:19 AM
I know several that would give you a punch on the nose for a comment like that Lol! :lol:
I'm glad I don't know any of those stuck up chicks.

alfaitalia

Lol...the point is there are some girls who really know their way around cars and wrenching....one of the best techs at the Audi VW place I worked at was a lady. Implying otherwise might not go down well with her....she was is big girl!!! :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

moparqueen

moparqueen

Am I supposed to leave my doors on? I'm confused because I heard your supposed to leave your doors to fit the gaps for rocker fitment but I wasn't sure if im supposed to brace the inside of the door jamb also???

green69rt

Quote from: moparqueen on February 11, 2017, 07:19:36 PM

Am I supposed to leave my doors on? I'm confused because I heard your supposed to leave your doors to fit the gaps for rocker fitment but I wasn't sure if im supposed to brace the inside of the door jamb also???

You can leave the door on and just weld a piece of angle iron or something similar across the inside of the door opening.  Just take a little care that you clear the door when it closed.  Cut the angle iron away when finished and clean up the weld spots, done.

Oh, and if you have a original body then good luck getting the bottom gap of the door to look reasonable.   Seems like a lot of old Chargers have bottom baps of 1/4" to as much as 1/2"