News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Aero history

Started by taxspeaker, February 08, 2017, 09:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

Would you consider a ford talledega a necessary piece in an aero car collection? I know nothing about them but there is a white one for sale on hemmings. If i sold my 65 barracuda i could afford it, i just dont know their vslue or history. Then a 69 c500 in white i would have all 4 of the aero cars if talledega is part of the group.

bannedbird

Better save up for the 5th aero car  ;)
- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

Aero426

Without the Talladega, there would be no Daytona or Superbird.

held1823

you'll need both of the dearborn aero cars to make a full house.

luckily for you, while colors choices were very sparse, white is one of them on both versions
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

A383Wing

Quote from: Aero426 on February 08, 2017, 09:25:20 PM
Without the Talladega, there would be no Daytona or Superbird.

:2thumbs:

taxspeaker

Ok youve got me what is the 5th car? Cyclone?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: taxspeaker on February 08, 2017, 09:15:47 PM
Would you consider a ford talledega a necessary piece in an aero car collection? I know nothing about them but there is a white one for sale on hemmings. If i sold my 65 barracuda i could afford it, i just dont know their vslue or history. Then a 69 c500 in white i would have all 4 of the aero cars if talledega is part of the group.

You might want to consider adding one of these, to have an ultimate Aero collection...call me when you want one built  :icon_smile_big:

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 09, 2017, 05:35:35 AM

You might want to consider adding one of these, to have an ultimate Aero collection...call me when you want one built  :icon_smile_big:

I understand the metal work but what do you do about a bumper ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

WINGMAN

The bumper is of a Pinto. :nana:
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

500Jon

Maybe some 71 cars too?
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on February 09, 2017, 09:40:01 AM

I understand the metal work but what do you do about a bumper ?

No different than fabricating any other part of the car

DAY CLONA

Quote from: WINGMAN on February 09, 2017, 11:25:44 AM
 The bumper is of a Pinto. :nana:

Pinto or Maverick?, possibility?...wouldn't be the first time an auto manufacture raids it's parts bin for readily available parts, all the manufactures do it

None the less a cool car, be it the Mercury or Ford versions

DAY CLONA

500Jon

King Cobra,

Aero before styling?
Looks more like a rear engined Italian supercar than a nascar!

Not for me its Daytona all the way... :2thumbs:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

alfaitalia

Gotta agree......not pretty at all.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

odcics2

Quote from: DAY CLONA on February 09, 2017, 12:19:39 PM
Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on February 09, 2017, 09:40:01 AM

Mike - You ever going to make a replica of the radical "aero" front end and bubble-back window 1971 B Body? (either Dodge or Plymouth version)
For those that don't know, the 'aero' versions started to drop the front over the wheel, continuing to front edge. It involver new fenders, hood and rad support.  The back glass ended well into the trunk lid. Too much $$ for re-tooling to even think about, but did lower the drag numbers!    

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

Quote from: 500Jon on February 10, 2017, 11:54:29 AM
King Cobra,

Aero before styling?

Actually, it is more a case of styling before aero.     That is one reason why it was slower than the Talladega.   

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on February 10, 2017, 03:01:26 PM
Quote from: 500Jon on February 10, 2017, 11:54:29 AM
King Cobra,

Aero before styling?

Actually, it is more a case of styling before aero.     That is one reason why it was slower than the Talladega.   

Ford was adamant that NO HIGH FLYING WING would appear on the Ford.  Hence, severe oversteer in the corners during tests of the race version.

A383Wing

I heard way too much front downforce also on the King cars

odcics2

Quote from: A383Wing on February 10, 2017, 06:02:49 PM
I heard way too much front downforce also on the King cars
That's what I said...  :cheers:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on February 10, 2017, 01:30:12 PM

Mike - You ever going to make a replica of the radical "aero" front end and bubble-back window 1971 B Body? (either Dodge or Plymouth version)
For those that don't know, the 'aero' versions started to drop the front over the wheel, continuing to front edge. It involver new fenders, hood and rad support.  The back glass ended well into the trunk lid. Too much $$ for re-tooling to even think about, but did lower the drag numbers!    

Greg, personally for myself No, but if commissioned by a customer, I'd have no issues with the fabrication end of the deal, the looks that would be generated however, it's slightly ungainly IMHO

DAY CLONA

The front end is keeping with "tradition" though

DAY CLONA

One thing most don't notice is the complete lack of any fender scoops on the 1971 3/8 scale aero test models, no mention, no intention for their use at all, which I found strange

However when I was fabricating the 71 Tona and Bird I knew there was no intention of using fender scoops after reading the Gseries wind tunnel test posted from 1970, but I felt the cars needed them, in keeping with "tradition" of the 69 and 70 models appearance, and not having them would bring into focus either awkward looks or questions as to WHY they're not present, not one person has ever commented on the "fact" that the 71's have fender scoops where there should be none?

Mike

odcics2

I believe there is a black and white drawing of a side view with the 'aero' front that has a "non-standard" cone on it, in the G series aero study.
IIRC, the front starts to drop over the wheels, or maybe the illusion is because the base of the front glass is stretched forward, "cab forward Intrepid" style.

In any event, the wing is too tall, from a styling perspective.  That looks odd!

In the top photo, the front starts to droop over the wheels, IMO.