News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

66 Charger 383...Need advice on MSD distributor

Started by dpreynolds, February 09, 2017, 07:24:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpreynolds

I have no idea what is decent and what is not worth looking at, but my 383 currently has electronic ignition and the distributor needs replaced. I was advised to go with MSD, but don't know anything more than that when looking them up.  Does anyone have advice so I can get a decent one for $400 or less?
Thanks

Dave

dpreynolds00@comcast.net
Dave Reynolds
719-649-0046

A383Wing

why not just go with another electronic distributor instead of a $400 MSD system??

dpreynolds

I wanted to upgrade and only replace out once. It was advice that i go with MSD. Doesn't have to be $400, but I don't know anything about that component, so just looking for advice on that. If I was to go MSD, what would some reasonable options be...?

Dave Reynolds
719-649-0046

A383Wing

Complete MSD system is going to be $400 +....and that does not include the tach adaptor....and if I'm not mistaken, your 66 tach will not ever work with MSD

also, if your MSD system fails, where are you gonna get replacement parts? It not like these are sold on every auto parts corner

I have stock Chrysler Electronic ignition in both my 66's, works just fine

dpreynolds

I'll have a look at stock units and see what I can find.  Thanks!
Dave Reynolds
719-649-0046

XH29N0G

I am using an MSD system and it works fine, but I concur with what has been written above.  I also know there are discussions about firecore systems on the forum you could look up.  I bought a coil from Ron (firefighter3931) one of the moderators.  He knows a lot and is a supplier for firecore.  You might want to send a message to him to ask.  My guess is if a stock unit will work and be more cost effective for what you want/need, he will also advise for that.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

ODZKing

Quote from: A383Wing on February 09, 2017, 07:47:49 PM
Complete MSD system is going to be $400 +....and that does not include the tach adaptor....and if I'm not mistaken, your 66 tach will not ever work with MSD

also, if your MSD system fails, where are you gonna get replacement parts? It not like these are sold on every auto parts corner

:iagree:
I know many folks who have an MSD system love it but I didn't like the one I had and took it off my 73 (400HP).
Unless you plan to race the Chrysler EI system works fine and IF there is an issue, you can walk into a parts store and get a replacement part.
You can buy pieces or the entire set up. Info on my site here: http://www.retrorarities.com/EIconversion.htm

dpreynolds

I didn't see anything with the mechanical advance.  Did I miss it?
Quote from: ODZKing on February 10, 2017, 11:06:26 AM
Quote from: A383Wing on February 09, 2017, 07:47:49 PM

:iagree:
I know many folks who have an MSD system love it but I didn't like the one I had and took it off my 73 (400HP).
Unless you plan to race the Chrysler EI system works fine and IF there is an issue, you can walk into a parts store and get a replacement part.
You can buy pieces or the entire set up. Info on my site here: http://www.retrorarities.com/EIconversion.htm
Dave Reynolds
719-649-0046

dpreynolds

I appreciate everyone's help again. I think I found something that's NOT MSD and not 400 bucks, that will work with the tach also.
Thanks again!
Dave Reynolds
719-649-0046

c00nhunterjoe

The main problem with the factory style distributors is the advance. Without serious modification, you cannot get enough initial timing in a mild motor without having too much total timing.