News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Green car haters

Started by BDF, February 09, 2017, 10:16:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeesRT

I'll have to dig the picture out, but I have a picture of another F6 car from 1996 in Chico, CA

VegasCharger

Nice retro pics Lee. :2thumbs:

Damn those are some deep dish Cragars, both front & rear.

Do you remember the rim sizes? Back spacings? Tire sizes?

:cheers:

LeesRT

I don't remember the wheels spacing (I'll need to measure them), but the tire sizes were LR50-15 and GR50-14.  This is what the car currently has and will have when done rebuilding the car.  Wheels are shot, so I will be replacing them.

VegasCharger

Quote from: LeesRT on March 26, 2017, 07:33:11 PM
I don't remember the wheels spacing (I'll need to measure them), but the tire sizes were LR50-15 and GR50-14.  This is what the car currently has and will have when done rebuilding the car.  Wheels are shot, so I will be replacing them.

Cool thanks.  :2thumbs:

So you'll be having 14" up front and 15" in the rear with new Cragars of the same dimensions?

:cheers:

LeesRT

That's the plan.  14" up front, 15" in the rear.  Wheel style may change.  I haven't decided yet.

qwick68

Quote from: 69 OUR/TEA on February 12, 2017, 05:26:55 PM
An old magazine ,  this guy was a green hater , changed a Hemi Charger from green to red .
I have that magazine!
68 Charger LL-1 Turquoise

alfaitalia

I think hate is a very strong word. I do not like green much myself and would not buy a car (new or classic) in green..........but i would not use the word "hate" just for a colour! However If I was lucky enough to own an original hemi....it would stay original colour no matter what!! LOL!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

BDF

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 27, 2017, 09:50:42 AM
I think hate is a very strong word. I do not like green much myself and would not buy a car (new or classic) in green..........but i would not use the word "hate" just for a colour! However If I was lucky enough to own an original hemi....it would stay original colour no matter what!! LOL!
While lurking on this site I picked up on quite a few 'ugly-fugly' type comments concerning green cars, hence the title of post.
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 27, 2017, 03:17:47 PM
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,114768.msg1467227.html#msg1467227

I still miss this car. It will always be one of my top favorites.
Beautiful GREEN CAR there!

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Dino on February 12, 2017, 08:32:19 PM
I could stand to have my car back in its original F8 with white top, but that green interior has got to go!

I'm with you Dino.  The green guts have to go.  :eek2: :eek2:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

69DAYTONASE

Had a green 72 satellite once the wife and I restored. Before it hit the road it was dark blue with a black interior! We both hated the color green that much! :popcrn:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

DAY CLONA

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 27, 2017, 09:50:42 AM

If you grew up back in the day (US) when cars, clothing, home appliances, furniture, etc were either green, brown or gold...then you started to truly HATE those turd colours, by the late 60's (really late) wild colours started to appear on the scene, by 1970 everything was getting "groovey", wild colours, mod prints on clothing, furniture, even the automobile, there was a colour explosion, it probably lasted no later than the late 70's, then it returned back to the drabness, but among motorheads anything that was green, esp dark green was considered vile, brown or gold could be tolerated, but a paint change was always on the list of things to do after driveline mods, green cars always seemed to get a black or grey primer spraybomb job right out of the gate  

Charger_Fan

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 30, 2017, 09:33:16 AM
but among motorheads anything that was green, esp dark green was considered vile, brown or gold could be tolerated, but a paint change was always on the list of things to do after driveline mods, green cars always seemed to get a black or grey primer spraybomb job right out of the gate  
True, I knew many owners of green cars that got spray bombed rather quickly once they were acquired. Also, many green cars were parted out. I called it "parts car green". :icon_smile_big: This is one I parted out in 1994. Kind of a bummer looking back, because it would have been a fairly easy restoration today.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Baldwinvette77

How much did something like that cost back then?

crj1968

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on March 30, 2017, 10:54:11 AM

Well I passed on a B5 70 R/T in 1986 for $1500 because the trans was blown...if that gives you any idea.

I also passed on a white superbird around the same time at @ $7500, of course that was a lot of money for a teenager at the time...plus it has 413 in it and I thought that was weird.   :P

fizz

I was there, painting cars, and if a car was green, gold, yellow, tan, or brown it was in line for a color change. part of that was those colors faded to ugly. If it red, blue or black it got left alone. Then we painted everything red, black or blue until the mid 80s and it seemed everything got painted maroon, brandywine, or bright blues or some shade of turquoise after that. I had a dark green 70 charger, never changed color, it is true I would have preferred another color, but it was good shape and that money supported performance parts. Where I was from, the fast guys didn't worry about color, but the monte carlo, grand prix, and other non performance 70s car owners did. Now, I traded a blue 73 318 charger straight across for my green 70 r/t in 76. To us, after 71-72 everything was a grandma car. Now some of you maybe wouldn't have traded the blue 318 73 for the green 70 r/t, because you hate green so much. But the green 70 was at least a muscle car. Now, I never got much grief about the color of my car from the other hot rod/muscle car guys, and didn't care much what the grandma car guys thought.

Charger_Fan

IIRC, I paid $400 for that car just as you see it. It was a 383 500, the previous owner pulled the engine & trans to put into a truck. I wish I would have kept more of the black interior, but I was running out of storage space.

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

Baldwinvette77

i was born in the wrong era  :lol: ......  :rotz:

crj1968

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on March 30, 2017, 03:00:52 PM
i was born in the wrong era  :lol: ......  :rotz:

Well maybe, but you would have been just like us born earlier with the same type of stories. It's all relative, I suppose.

Think of the cars right now that you are passing on.....what will they be worth in 50 years?  :scratchchin:

LeesRT

Pictures of an F6, 1969 Charger R/T from about 1996.  It was for sale in Chico, CA at a collector car place.  At a quick glance, I thought it was mine until I noticed the missing stripes.

LeesRT

More of the same car.

TPR

I'm a big fan of F8 with a combo such as below:
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

fizz

BDF

Quote from: LeesRT on March 30, 2017, 07:43:14 PM
Pictures of an F6, 1969 Charger R/T from about 1996.  It was for sale in Chico, CA at a collector car place.  At a quick glance, I thought it was mine until I noticed the missing stripes.
Cool car!
I'd like to put the dual snorkle air-cleaner back on mine  :coolgleamA:

DAY CLONA

Back in the day, late 70's early 80's most 68-70 Charger parts cars were either "just get it out of my yard" free, or anything under $300-$400 bucks for a running car, yes even R/T's, I remember missing out on a F8 69 HEMI Charger with a blown motor, nice car in 1977 for $800, but again that was a lot of money in 77

I picked up a few freebies, usually it was the Dad or the Wife getting rid of the kids/husbands "junk", other than a few free ones the cheapest Charger was a 70 500 B5/B5 383 auto for $40, guy just wanted what he paid for the 4 "new" tires (which were all flat from YEARS of sitting) had a nice NOS passenger fender on it, most I ever paid was $500 for a 70 440 4speed R/T, I was mostly into E bodies, of which I parted approx 300-350 Cuda/Challengers from the late 70's thru the late 90's, a couple of dozen Chargers, RR's, SATs, etc, etc, mostly B and E's, A bodies if they were sunroof or 340 cars,...the days of finding them in the back/front yard of every other house are long gone, but GOD! a lot of them were Green!  :icon_smile_big:

Mike