News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Advice on selling my car online

Started by TonyN, February 10, 2017, 08:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyN

Hello all,

I am planning on selling my Charger in the spring. I am thinking of posting on eBay.

I've sold things before on eBay, but nothing of this scope or (likely) complexity.

Does anyone have any 'been there' tips?

I see things like requiring minimum prior purchases, reserve bids...

Worried about people bidding and then disappearing.
Shipping is also a concern, as I am up here in Canada.

Let me know if you have any helpful advice,

Thanks,

Tony

Mytur Binsdirti

Throw it up there and see what happens. Oh, and post a link here so it can be carefully scrutinized.   :lol:

JR

Get ready for dealing with international buyers.

I live in the U.S., and once sold a Vette to a guy in Australia, and listed a Mustang with bidders from France, Germany, and Britan.

But wire transfers make it easy to do, so it's not a big deal. You get money wired to you, they arrange shipping for the car, you'll mail the paperwork separately to wherever they specify.

Very easy. Although some people like to open a separate bank account just for the sale, and then immediately move the money into a different one so the money can't be recalled. (There was a scheme going around a few years ago where people would sell their car, get paid, and then the money would be pulled back out of their account after the car had been picked up.)

But I haven't heard of that happening to anyone in a long time now.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Dino

Question: with Chargers selling like hot cakes, why not just advertise it here? Does anyone looking for a Charger not read the cars for sale section?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

RECHRGD

Quote from: Dino on February 12, 2017, 11:30:01 AM
Question: with Chargers selling like hot cakes, why not just advertise it here? Does anyone looking for a Charger not read the cars for sale section?

It's my understanding that these cars bring much better money across the pond.....
13.53 @ 105.32

crj1968

In my experience trying to sell on here or craigslist is worse than ebay....many first time log in tire kickers show up here.

At least on ebay people have to put some money where their mouth is.  If it falls through ebay will let you relist for free. I've sold 3 cars and a few motorcycles on ebay and have never had an issue.  All of them sold within a 10 day auction, for what I wanted or more....

You can set up your auction to not accept bids from people with no or bad feedback.
Buyer pays you, arranges their own shipping and you're done.....not complex at all.

chargerboy69

I look here 10 times a day along with the other Mopar/B-body sites.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford

Dino

I know they bring more overseas and it's just as easy to sell them to someone overseas. My point was that there should be plenty potential buyers looking right here for a car. It'll save you to pay a fee. Isn't it worth a shot?

alfaitalia

I kept trawling the classifieds on here when I was looking to buy and I looked on here most days....I would have bought "overseas" and imported to UK....but found one locally.....it was more than I would have paid for one from the US but I could actually see it rather than relying on a description...and that was worth something. I would prob not import now....the dollar is too strong against the pound (week pound) at the moment and shipping and import tax adds quite a bit to the purchase price. It would still work out a fair bit cheaper than sourcing one in Europe though.......and much more choice!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

crj1968

Quote from: Dino on February 12, 2017, 08:14:55 PM
I know they bring more overseas and it's just as easy to sell them to someone overseas. My point was that there should be plenty potential buyers looking right here for a car. It'll save you to pay a fee. Isn't it worth a shot?

I hear ya- but I've found that a lot of the tire kickers on here (and other forums) are from overseas.

The good thing about ebay is people can't pretend to be serious buyers.  Bid or or move on.....

Dino

Quote from: crj1968 on February 14, 2017, 03:48:30 AM
Quote from: Dino on February 12, 2017, 08:14:55 PM

I hear ya- but I've found that a lot of the tire kickers on here (and other forums) are from overseas.

The good thing about ebay is people can't pretend to be serious buyers.  Bid or or move on.....

That makes sense.   :yesnod:

tcs69rt

I advertised a Chopper on ebay a few years ago. I got 2 emails of my bike for sale on Craigslist in Kentucky for 10 grand and Tennessee for $6000.  :smilielol:  Hope no scammers advertise your car as they did my bike.  :cheers:
"Life ain't easy when you rode the short bus."

TonyN

Hey everyone, thanks for all of the great replies. Lots of good advice and thinking points here.

Tony