News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is there a better gas pedal setup?

Started by doctor4766, February 13, 2017, 08:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctor4766

Hey guys
I've often wondered if there is a way to make my gas pedal a little lighter on the foot, more like a modern car perhaps.
I'm running a 750 Holley and with the return spring having to be heavy enough to return to idle I'm finding it difficult at times to depress the pedal for long periods at a time. You see I get achy feet (particularly my right foot) and it's kind of ruining the whole driving experience for me.
Just a though, but if there's a solution I'd be more than happy to find out.
Gotta love a '69

A383Wing

if you have to have that heavy of a spring...something is wrong, disconnect the cable and see if the car returns to idle with a lighter spring....either your cable is bad, or something is wrong with the carb itself

doctor4766

Quote from: A383Wing on February 13, 2017, 09:16:54 PM
if you have to have that heavy of a spring...something is wrong, disconnect the cable and see if the car returns to idle with a lighter spring....either your cable is bad, or something is wrong with the carb itself
Fairly new carb and reproduction spring that was recommended on here a couple of years ago. Can't remember where it came from though.
I've experimented with lighter springs but this one seems to return to idle best.
I'll try that though, but I've also replaced the cable with a new one in the last couple of years.
I don't remember it ever being any better than it is with the new components.
Gotta love a '69

garner7555

If its automatic then your kickdown linkage could be binding...   
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

doctor4766

Gotta love a '69

garner7555

You could always swap a different gas pedal and cable setup out of another vehicle.     :shruggy:     Choose one with a longer arm from pivot point to gas pedal so that you will have more leverage.
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

JR

I replaced the old worn out roller wheel under the gas pedal with a spare skateboard wheel bearing I had lying around. The pedal felt so smooth afterwards. It helped alot in my case.

Maybe worth a shot?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

68 RT

I second that! Something has to be binding up? Newer cars have no cable hooked to them so they will always feel lighter.

BLK 68 R/T

What intake manifold and throttle cable bracket? Maybe you have to sharp of a bend in it somewhere if something is mis-matched  :shruggy:

doctor4766

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on February 14, 2017, 05:10:39 PM
What intake manifold and throttle cable bracket? Maybe you have to sharp of a bend in it somewhere if something is mis-matched  :shruggy:
Just the factory cast intake with standard bracket, so it should all work right.
I'll have a look at the roller as JR mentioned above, but I was hoping someone was gonna say that the pedals are always heavy on these things and that there was a simple swap out solution.
Thanks guys, I'll have a fiddle and see what I can come up with.
Gotta love a '69

doctor4766

Quote from: 68 RT on February 14, 2017, 12:06:12 PM

I second that! Something has to be binding up? Newer cars have no cable hooked to them so they will always feel lighter.
Haha yeah, I guess we're spoilt these days.
Gotta love a '69

XH29N0G

I don't think I have really noticed mine being a problem to push down.  I have double springs.  I would think if it feels like a problem on your foot that you would not be able to move the carb with your hand outside the engine.  I would keep looking to see if you can figure out why it doesn't want to move.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

doctor4766

Quote from: XH29N0G on February 14, 2017, 06:45:44 PM
I don't think I have really noticed mine being a problem to push down.  I have double springs.  I would think if it feels like a problem on your foot that you would not be able to move the carb with your hand outside the engine.  I would keep looking to see if you can figure out why it doesn't want to move.
Don't get me wrong. It's not super stiff, but it's heavier than I would like.
Gotta love a '69

Dino

I find the throttle in the Charger is a tad heavier than my daily 4 banger, but not by a lot. I can still give it more throttle just by having the weight of my foot on the pedal. I would disconnect the cable from the carb and bracket and see how much resistance you have Maybe it's the throttle arm itself binding. It shouldn't be THAT hard to depress that pedal.

Good to see you gain doc, seems it's been a while since we saw you here.   :cheers:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

doctor4766

Quote from: Dino on February 15, 2017, 06:03:50 PM
I find the throttle in the Charger is a tad heavier than my daily 4 banger, but not by a lot. I can still give it more throttle just by having the weight of my foot on the pedal. I would disconnect the cable from the carb and bracket and see how much resistance you have Maybe it's the throttle arm itself binding. It shouldn't be THAT hard to depress that pedal.

Good to see you gain doc, seems it's been a while since we saw you here.   :cheers:
Yeah it's been a while mate.
Will have to fiddle a bit more, or compare it to a couple of other Chargers we have here when I get the chance.
Cheers
Gotta love a '69

mopar0166

I actually switched to a complete lokar cable setup and I think its very light compared to my old set up. 

68CoronetRT

Quote from: mopar0166 on April 25, 2017, 02:34:08 PM
I actually switched to a complete lokar cable setup and I think its very light compared to my old set up. 

What all did you buy for this setup?

mopar0166

I bought the throttle cable, kick down and mounting bracket, installs in stock pedal.

I had a carb bracket before with a universal throttle cable.  the pedal was much harder.   I guess you could look at which return springs you are using as well.