News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rack and pinion steering

Started by jww426, February 14, 2017, 10:37:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jww426

My friends,
has anyone put on JUST rack & pinion?
Or is it best to do the whole front clip tubular suspension upgrade?
Thanks!
JWW
JWWIV

Kern Dog

.......OR just rebuilt the stock setup using upgraded heavy duty parts.
The only "bolt-in" rack and pinion setup I've heard of is Unisteer. Reports are that it sucks ass. Bump steer problems, a much wider turning radius and oil pan clearance problems...
Check into Hotchkis suspension and Borgeson steering components. Half the cost of the coilover stuff, factory durability and excellent handling.   :2thumbs:

Draco

Don't do a unisteer rack set up you will hate it. They say it helps with bump steer, nope made it scary to drive. Also cuts turn radius in half. Worked pretty good on autocross, but try to park at the local car show and you have to pull up and back 6 times to get into a spot. I took it off and installed a Borgeson unit and a big differance. Pleasure to drive and park now.

dodgey68

I have a uni-steer rack on at moment, I have just gotten hold of a borgeson steering box (by accident) but I got it now,, what steer pump is, needed, can I use the uni-steer pump, Draco???
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

Draco

Not totally sure, I was going to use mine that came with the kit, but I thought if I decide to sell the unisteer kit I should leave it complete. I think I would give the guy's at Borgeson a call get there feelings on it. You will love the Borgeson box wants you have it on. I called PST and got there C-body tie rod ends they are heavyer.

cdr

If Unisteer just sold a modified lower balljoint, [shorter arm] the bump steer & steering radius would not be a problem, I modified my own, car drives awesome, BUT if I was to do it again I would use the smaller Borg steering box.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Draco

That's cool, how did you modify the ball joints? Did you bend then in more toward the oil pan? The other problem I had was the big tube TTI header would not clear the steering nuckle hose fittings.

cdr

Quote from: Draco on March 05, 2017, 03:54:23 PM
  That's cool, how did you modify the ball joints? Did you bend then in more toward the oil pan? The other problem I had was the big tube TTI header would not clear the steering nuckle hose fittings.

cut off the tapered hole that the out tie rod goes, tig weld that cut off piece on the bottom side of arm that is left, then drill a hole through the tapered hole, drill tie rod for a cotter pin & use a nut off the original tie rod, I had to do some header mods. doing this makes the wheel turn the full distance that it should & changes the bump steer for the better.
I have 3500 miles on it so far, no tire wear, drives great, turns lock to lock 3.25 turns.

you can kind of see here
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127826.msg1590500.html#msg1590500
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

Draco

Nice work, It would be nice that unisteer would have done there homework better and had a lower ball joint casted to work with the set up.

dodgey68

may I ask cdr do you have any more pics of the ball joints and tie rod that you modified, if that is ok

cdr

Quote from: dodgey68 on March 10, 2017, 07:50:11 PM
may I ask cdr do you have any more pics of the ball joints and tie rod that you modified, if that is ok

I cant find any, I will try to get some.

dodgey68

ok I had my car up on the hoist,, I can see that the r&p are not in line with the lca,, I'm not really sure how to rectify, , I would like to see how you fixed the issue,

cdr,, cool ride by the way

cdr

Quote from: dodgey68 on March 12, 2017, 01:00:36 AM
ok I had my car up on the hoist,, I can see that the r&p are not in line with the lca,, I'm not really sure how to rectify, , I would like to see how you fixed the issue,

cdr,, cool ride by the way

Thanks,,I have not forgotten the pictures,will get some for you.

cdr

I need to grind the shape to make it look better, cut off the end, weld it on the underside of the arm & then drill the arm for the tie rod, the tapper is now welded to the bottom.
The shorter arm increases the turning radius, & lowering the outer tie rod corrects most of the bump steer.

HPP

dodgey68

mm ok  ,, thank you,, cdr :cheers:     

dodgey68

sorry to ask cdr may I ask for a few pics,, I'm not really sure I wanna start cutting into the balljoint or steer arm till I'm sure, please