News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fun math problem

Started by 69 OUR/TEA, February 14, 2017, 02:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

the spacing looks funny for the 1x0 , are they looking for 120,130,140,150,160,170,180,190,200, or 210?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Dino

10 for the first one.

12 for the second if that 1x0 can be placed within brackets. The spacing is weird. If it's all that precedes 0 in brackets then the answer is 1.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

XH29N0G

I cannot count  :slap: 19+10 = 29 and then 30 or 130 to 220 by 10's

Or maybe it protects us. 

Dino

How are you getting to those numbers? I don't see it.

Dino

Ok, XH saw something I didn't! The answer is 30. Thanks for the pm and the explanation.   :cheers:

Dans 68

Quote from: flyinlow on February 14, 2017, 06:32:13 PM

and 12 for the second ,Assuming you keep adding as you drop from one line to the next........what happens when you assume?

Give the man a cigar!   :2thumbs:

(Meaning I agree....)   ;)

...and me!

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

DeltaV

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

Kern Dog

alfaitalia

Quote from: birdsandbees on February 14, 2017, 06:04:57 PM
Since only the last line is solvable..  2

..and Alf, maybe check with your grade 3 teacher on the rules of math.  :pity:

True only the last line is solvable....its still one. 1 plus 1 is two times 0 equals 0 plus one equals one. My teacher would have agreed!!! Nothing wrong with my maths!! You guys just play by different rules over there!!!

Here , I could would only be allowed to do the multiplication part first (or any other part first) if it was in brackets like so;

1+(1x0)+1 =      .....in which case the answer would indeed be 2. No brackets? ....then the answer is 1 ! I believe this would be the way its done in  the vast majority of the world.....but hey I know you guys like to be different!!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

marshallfry01

I failed trigonometry in college 3 times before I finally passed, so I am horrible at math.

My guesses:
First pic is 9
Second pic is 1
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

Dino

There are no addition signs between the rows so it's 1+1+1+1+11+1+1+1+11+(1x0)+1=30

First one is still 10.

Bronzedodge

Quote from: DeltaV on February 14, 2017, 07:34:33 PM
https://youtu.be/6blD-cfko1A

Good clean humor.  Love Ma and Pa Kettle.

At first I missed the two drills in the first problem, hard to make out.
Mopar forever!

alfaitalia

Quote from: Dino on February 15, 2017, 05:44:00 AM
There are no addition signs between the rows so it's 1+1+1+1+11+1+1+1+11+(1x0)+1=30

First one is still 10.

Lol....you cant have the two 1s in eleven on different lines!!....so its one! And the other is 14  :nana:. Its fast becoming apparent that the correct answer will depend on where you are from and which Math rules you apply....but you still should not do the multiply first unless its in brackets.....Oh hell I give up!! :lol:

Dino

Quote from: alfaitalia on February 15, 2017, 08:00:41 AM

First one is still 10.

Lol....you cant have the two 1s in eleven on different lines!!....so its one! And the other is 14  :nana:. Its fast becoming apparent that the correct answer will depend on where you are from and which Math rules you apply....but you still should not do the multiply first unless its in brackets.....Oh hell I give up!! :lol:

That's why the second problem is so tricky because the lines have been cut up, but it's still the correct answer.

And order of operation still dictates multiplication first, and that's pretty much universal. So it's 10.   :lol:

draftingmonkey

The first answer he is asking how many pliers, drills and screwdrivers he needs for his tool box; and the second is posted on a door of a young mans college dorm room. He is saying that he had 5 girls in his room the first day, 5 on the second and on the third he was so drunk he couldn't remember and that is why he is asking.

alfaitalia

Quote from: Dino on February 15, 2017, 08:02:28 AM

First one is still 10.

That's why the second problem is so tricky because the lines have been cut up, but it's still the correct answer.

And order of operation still dictates multiplication first, and that's pretty much universal. So it's 10.   :lol:

Interesting....but we don't use PEMDAS much in Europe we use BODMAS.....where the B stands for brackets. Multiplication and division still come first (well second...after Orders (or powers as they are sometimes known)) but there  they will (nearly) always be in brackets.

Dino

Quote from: alfaitalia on February 15, 2017, 10:36:03 AM
Quote from: Dino on February 15, 2017, 08:02:28 AM

First one is still 10.

Interesting....but we don't use PEMDAS much in Europe we use BODMAS.....where the B stands for brackets. Multiplication and division still come first (well second...after Orders (or powers as they are sometimes known)) but there  they will (nearly) always be in brackets.

I was born in Europe so I get the bracket thing. They use it here as well but not always.

Road Dog

Wrong from the start cuz math is never fun. :lol:
If your wheels ain't spinn'n you ain't got no traction.

John_Kunkel

Yup, one of them there optical conclusions.  ::)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

69 OUR/TEA

First one is still 10.

Dino is correct on both !!!!!! 

10 for the first problem
30 for the second

Dino

XH29N0G gets credit for the second one, not me.   :yesnod:

ws23rt

In the interest of keeping /giving this thread a boost back into view. Someone posted this --I forgot where--cause I'm old.
I like the puzzel part of this one.
BTW --I found the problem/answer and so did -A friend of mine- but neither of us did so in a clean concise way to answer.

Let that be the task here.  Tells us what the deal is clear and simple.

green69rt

If you look at these two figures closely you can see that the big figure( the one that is 13 blocks wide and five tall) is not a right triangle at all.  The two smaller triangles are not proportional to each other so what you are actually comparing are two different objects.    So what looks like a straight line for the hypotenuse is not straight at all but is two sections.  I'll try to make an exaggerated picture and post.

Mathematically, the larger triangular piece(red) has a tangent of 3/8 while the smallest triangle (green) has a tangent of 2/5.  So the smallest angle of both triangles is not equal, therefore the triangle are not similar.

XH29N0G

GreenRT,

Here is what you suggested in case it is a pain.

Now we need to find some more problems.  

I just wonder, and don't know the answer, whether the size of the block has to be the extra space and the missing space between each line, or whether it can be done with just one?  Maybe that should be the next question.

Or maybe it protects us.