News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Difficulty in removal and restoration of the A/C Heater box 1970 Charger

Started by Kern Dog, February 17, 2017, 07:26:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I still need to restore my A/C and Heater box in my 70 Charger. The A/C didn't work when I bought the car 17 years ago. Since this has not been a cold weather daily driver, I've never cared much about these functions before.
I'm sure I can figure it out myself but was hoping that someone can tip me off about any snags they encountered with the job. Thanks, Greg

Lennard

I could tell you all about it... but I won't,  because I'm afraid to make a spelling mistake and get ridiculed.  :popcrn:

lukedukem

I'm sure you have seen this thread. It's a sticky
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,87035.0.html

But it is missing most of the pics. Not sure where they went, but other than that I'm not sure anyone has done another thread. Hopefully it might help. Or others can chime in that have done one

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

M5Ivan

I've just removed my a/c heater box, but I'm not restoring it. I bought a Classic Auto Air system to replace it. If you need any help with the box removal I can chime in, but the work under the dash is pretty straight forward.

Kern Dog

Quote from: Lennard on February 17, 2017, 07:58:35 PM
I could tell you all about it... but I won't,  because I'm afraid to make a spelling mistake and get ridiculed.  :popcrn:

Thanks, Lennard. Maybe the post should have stated that all responses are welcome except from you. You still have the strange tendency to follow me around.

Lennard

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 17, 2017, 10:51:55 PM
I could tell you all about it... but I won't,  because I'm afraid to make a spelling mistake and get ridiculed.  :popcrn:

Thanks, Lennard. Maybe the post should have stated that all responses are welcome except from you. You still have the strange tendency to follow me around.

As long as you think it's necessary to complain about / make fun of people's spelling in random topics,  I will give you the attention that you're asking for.

Dino

For fucks sake can you two give it a rest already? You're supposed to be grown men, act like it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

marshallfry01

1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

cdr

I could tell you all about it... but I won't,  because I'm afraid to make a spelling mistake and get ridiculed.  :popcrn:

I was with Lennard when I first saw this post from Kern doggie, I have done two of them, one for mine & one for the 69 Charger that counts kustom built, But I will say this ,,Kern Dog has been a lot more respectful Lately & seems to have eased up on the buffoonery & has been actually contributing to our site, & if i speel somthing rong now he MIGHT let it slidde,   :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Dmichels

Actually very easy The hardest part is removing it from the car and cleaning all the crap out of it. Follow the instructions with the kit and use the FSM Mine came out great. Good luck
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Bronzedodge

I pulled an A/C box from a salvage yard 68 Charger two years ago.  The fresh air duct fell apart in my hand.  Tight access, difficult.  I really wanted a spare.  Other than that, unhooked the heater valve, vac hoses, got all the studs on the firewall side - easy with no engine/trans.  Obviously, you need time and patience so save all the flexible hoses for defrost, fresh air, side discharge ducts on an intact car.

FWIW, I like the factory box design, with fresh air and all it's other features, vs an aftermarket box.
Mopar forever!

alfaitalia

Quote from: cdr on February 19, 2017, 01:46:24 AM

I was with Lennard when I first saw this post from Kern doggie, I have done two of them, one for mine & one for the 69 Charger that counts kustom built, But I will say this ,,Kern Dog has been a lot more respectful Lately & seems to have eased up on the buffoonery & has been actually contributing to our site, & if i speel somthing rong now he MIGHT let it slidde,   :2thumbs:

A site like this needs "characters" like the K dog imo......keeps the site real. If he offends or upsets you..ignore it and move on to the next thread. I'm a regular on Jeep forum and mbworld (Merc site) and it's just the same there.....people who are....erm...direct .....and those who get upset about it. I guess some might say that I'm one of them on JF....but I'm new around here so I hold back ...and hey, I don't want to step on KDs toes! Also he does seem to know his stuff...unlike one or two others! Lol.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Kern Dog

Thanks, guys. Often times it is the outspoken people that get bashed the most. Rarely will you see the quiet and polite members get any bad attention.
I love these old cars and really enjoy working on them. When I am able to help someone with a problem, it validates the time spent with greasy hands, oil in the hair, cuts and scrapes and ruined clothes. I love knowing that some experience that I went through will provide help to another. I have parts here that will never be needed for any of my projects. I keep them because there is a chance that someone else might. In the past, I've tossed out or scrapped stuff I thought I'd never need, only to get a call later asking for the very part. It feels good to be able to be the "hero" sometimes. This want to help trait of mine carries with it a few annoying traits. I am a smart ass, a critic and sometimes I have the tendency to speak and type without thinking of who will get pissed off. Some people that you meet are like me. You take the good with the bad or just avoid the person altogether.

cdr

Quote from: Kern Dog on February 20, 2017, 06:25:01 PM
Thanks, guys. Often times it is the outspoken people that get bashed the most. Rarely will you see the quiet and polite members get any bad attention.
I love these old cars and really enjoy working on them. When I am able to help someone with a problem, it validates the time spent with greasy hands, oil in the hair, cuts and scrapes and ruined clothes. I love knowing that some experience that I went through will provide help to another. I have parts here that will never be needed for any of my projects. I keep them because there is a chance that someone else might. In the past, I've tossed out or scrapped stuff I thought I'd never need, only to get a call later asking for the very part. It feels good to be able to be the "hero" sometimes. This want to help trait of mine carries with it a few annoying traits. I am a smart ass, a critic and sometimes I have the tendency to speak and type without thinking of who will get pissed off. Some people that you meet are like me. You take the good with the bad or just avoid the person altogether.

anyhow, if you need help, send me a PM & I will give you my Phone #, that way I dont have to worry about my spelling & punctuation  . LOL  :)
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Lennard

Quote from: alfaitalia on February 20, 2017, 04:36:53 PM
Quote from: cdr on February 19, 2017, 01:46:24 AM

A site like this needs "characters" like the K dog imo......keeps the site real. If he offends or upsets you..ignore it and move on to the next thread. I'm a regular on Jeep forum and mbworld (Merc site) and it's just the same there.....people who are....erm...direct .....and those who get upset about it. I guess some might say that I'm one of them on JF....but I'm new around here so I hold back ...and hey, I don't want to step on KDs toes! Also he does seem to know his stuff...unlike one or two others! Lol.
So when kids make fun of other kids' shortcomings it's called bullying... but when an adult does it, it's called " keeping it real".
Good night Alfaitalia.

Kern Dog

The limp wristed school system has totally fucked up how kids deal with each other. If a kid gets pushed around and fights back, they both get into trouble. They brand any action as "bullying" because they are spineless assholes afraid of confrontation and lawsuit happy disconnected parents.