News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HELP installing Grant Steering Wheel

Started by Canadian1968, February 19, 2017, 09:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

I purchased the Grant 846 Steering wheel. I haven't got the installation kit yet. But I am just looking at the pictures online of the kit. They basically all look identical .

I do not understand how the horn button is going connect to the wheel it self. In the installation instructions, it shows contact ring being bolted the wheel with 3 bolts. But then the button is just supposed to clip on to this ring? And the spring?  Just sit inside the center.   I made the mistake of misreading the information when purchased the wheel and thought that it came with the install kit.

I just want to make sure that I get the right one.  Here is the link to the install doc.

http://www.grantproducts.com/files/instructions/97552-00-01.pdf

BLK 68 R/T

I installed one on my car a few months ago, it will become clear as you look at the parts. I was confused looking at the instructions as well. I also had to get a spacer for my wheel as my fingers would hit the turn signal lever since the dish of the wheel I got was not deep enough. This may or may not be an issue depending on which one you went with. I have the Tuff wheel. Basically, the horn ring bolts to the wheel as described, then the horn contact has little tabs that lock into the horn pad, takes about a 1/3 of a turn to lock it into place. That is where the spring comes into play to hold pressure on the horn pad.
IIRC correctly my install went like this - Wheel spacer, wheel spacer cover, wheel, horn contact, spring, horn pad with outer contact ring. Also my horn pad, the center part that contacts the spring was broken, apparently this is a common problem, but was easily fixed on mine with a soldering iron. I had to melt the plastic tabs back over the insert. Hope this helps.

Canadian1968

sounds like it makes sense  :scratchchin:
the back of the horn button is smooth I just didn't understand how it would snap/ lock into anything.

There was an old aftermarket wheel on there . I am basically just missing the ring and spring. And your correct I will need a spacer as well but I have figured that out and will make one from the adapter the old wheel used .

I will order the kit and see what happens !