News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Comunicating with Martains game

Started by flyinlow, February 20, 2017, 05:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

So the Earths rotation speed at 40* N. latitude ( average latitude of Dodge Charger forum members I am guessing ?) is about 690 MPH. The Earths orbital speed around the Sun is about 70,000 MPH

How much younger do I get to be for these speeds?

JB400

ws23rt

If I was driving at about 1000mph on the equator from west to east. would I almost be standing still?

alfaitalia

Quote from: DeltaV on March 02, 2017, 09:13:14 PM

One year before I can retire...IF I am lucky.

Not many here work past 65...only those that want/have too. I'm aiming to retire around 60 (10 years to go!) and play with cars and bikes till I'm planted as long my pensions/investment go ok....and your new leader does not start something that kills us all well before then...LOL. Don't reply to that part of this post or thread will be locked for being political by the post Nazis! Why don't we have a political post section.....do on the other three car forums I'm on...always great fun!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

alfaitalia

Quote from: ws23rt on March 02, 2017, 11:23:33 PM
If I was driving at about 1000mph on the equator from west to east. would I almost be standing still?

No....even if you matched the Earths speed to be stationary in relation to the planets spin, the planet itself chugs along at about 67,000mpg around the sun (a year for one lap obviously). Then the Solar system is nipping along at about 515,000mph (but even at that speed will take about 230 million years just to do one lap of the Milky way !!!) then there the Milky way itself (our galaxy) which is travelling though the universe is a fairly impressive 1.3 million mph. So no you are certainly not standing still!!

Those sizes and speeds take some getting your head around.....To quote the late, great Douglas Adams    "Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts
compared to space."

XH29N0G

81.0000000000, 81.00000008565  

The issue of time and velocity and celestial rotations and orbits has shown me something I do not understand. Maybe one of you physics folks can explain this to me.  

For time to be measured, we need to have paths that intersect in space and time. Therefore, if two people travel from point A to point B, is the one that stays younger, the one who travels the farthest (fastest is implied by the same time) to get to point B?  

PS.  515,000 is some impressive miles per gallon.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

alfaitalia

Quote from: XH29N0G on March 03, 2017, 06:37:13 AM

The issue of time and velocity and celestial rotations and orbits has shown me something I do not understand. Maybe one of you physics folks can explain this to me.  

For time to be measured, we need to have paths that intersect in space and time. Therefore, if two people travel from point A to point B, is the one that stays younger, the one who travels the farthest (fastest is implied by the same time) to get to point B?  

PS.  515,000 is some impressive miles per gallon.

Oops...typo...corrected it!

ws23rt

Quote from: XH29N0G on March 03, 2017, 06:37:13 AM

PS.  515,000 is some impressive miles per gallon.

Which one stays younger is "relative" ;)  it depends on the/who's point of view.  
The paths of the two travelers need not intersect. But a starting point for reference is needed.
The one that gets to point B first will "appear" to be younger from the slower travelers view point. (until they arrive).

82.0000000000 :nana:

ws23rt

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 03, 2017, 06:34:19 AM

No....even if you matched the Earths speed to be stationary in relation to the planets spin, the planet itself chugs along at about 67,000mpg around the sun (a year for one lap obviously). Then the Solar system is nipping along at about 515,000mph (but even at that speed will take about 230 million years just to do one lap of the Milky way !!!) then there the Milky way itself (our galaxy) which is travelling though the universe is a fairly impressive 1.3 million mph. So no you are certainly not standing still!!

Those sizes and speeds take some getting your head around.....To quote the late, great Douglas Adams    "Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts
compared to space."

I like the quote from - Douglas Adams- :2thumbs: --- And as big as it is (what we can see these days is in fact microscopic compared to what was recently found.
Not long ago researchers focused a long (exposure) view on an apparently empty place in the sky with the latest equipment.
What came into view was a sea of what look like stars.  They are indeed galaxys and in numbers like the stars we find so numerous.
And don't forget that -that view- was a tiny spot in the sky.

XH29N0G

SO your saying that even if I can't move fast enough to get some of the benefit of relativity, that I will look younger if I keep moving. 

Are you sure it isn't just that as we get older, we have a harder time focusing on a moving target?   :rofl:

Or maybe it protects us. 

JB400

This one is supposed to be 86.  How hard can it be to count to 100?

ws23rt

Quote from: JB400 on March 03, 2017, 06:18:28 PM

Thanks--the truth is in the rules about this game ::)
BTW this might stir our pot some. ;)
https://www.reference.com/science/light-always-travel-light-speed-4d1f27374f6d4b37?qo=cdpArticles

XH29N0G

88 Thanks too.

I was in student thesis proposal presentations today and the last one ended his talk with "I hope my hypothesis comes true" 

Don't we all.

Or maybe it protects us. 

JB400

89  Not a problem. :cheers:  Just didn't want to get the train derailed, or the ship off course and hit an iceberg.

The whole point of going fast is to stall time while those around you age.

XH29N0G

90  Just tinkered a bit with the Charger - Even without driving it super fast, I feel younger.   :lol:

Or maybe it protects us. 

flyinlow

Quote from: JB400 on March 03, 2017, 06:18:28 PM

Not hard for most of us. I picked 100 or fifty round trips like medium length phone conversation might be. The time used up by logging on and posting at your convenience would fill in for the time radio waves take to get from planet to planet. It looks like it will take about two weeks to make 50 round trip communications. This would work for Earth to Uranus , but not Earth to Pluto or farther.

flyinlow

Quote from: XH29N0G on March 03, 2017, 08:51:10 PM
90  Just tinkered a bit with the Charger - Even without driving it super fast, I feel younger.   :lol:

I have found my Chargers to be time machines too.

flyinlow

Going east to west would work better.  Hence the phrase "Go west young man"   By about 60* latitude an airliner going west can keep up with the Sun  (Earths rotation) Closer to the poles you can make time go backwards , jumping from time zone to time zone faster than the earth spins.

DeltaV

Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

ws23rt

Time seems to be slowing down as we approach the number 100 :scratchchin:   Hold on --it may be a black hole we are being led into. :slap:

JB400

98  Wanna find out what's on the other side :scratchchin:  It might turn out to be a wormhole instead and we end up back at the beginning.

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

ws23rt

Quote from: flyinlow on February 20, 2017, 05:38:56 PM
While most of you are on the planet earth, how long does it take to talk to someone elsewhere.

I will start, the next poster types the next number and posts, etc. This simulates time delays to the moon or mars.

How long does it take to get to 100?

It looks like "ground hog day" to me from here :lol:  BTW how long did this take in earth time --or in dog years-? :cheers: