News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

KingDustin's 1971 Charger Build

Started by kingdustin, February 21, 2017, 11:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kingdustin

Quote from: Dino on February 23, 2017, 02:25:58 PM
Not saying the plan isn't solid, but while waiting on the body to be done why not find yourself the engine and trans that you want? There's loads of them out there. I personally wouldn't spend a dime on the 318 unless you want to go back to stock, but it doesn't sound like you do. Park the 318 or sell it along with the 904 and build yourself a serious drive train. That's just my  :Twocents:

That might be a better idea. I don't want to go back to stock, I thought about keeping the stock motor and selling it with the car, if I ever decide to sell it down the line but I dunno. I've looked around locally and found a 440 but haven't had much luck on the trans side. I haven't done much research on this yet, so I'll definitely start now, but if I find a 727 trans from a big block car, what all will I need to swap it in?

Dino

Quote from: kingdustin on February 23, 2017, 03:01:47 PM
Not saying the plan isn't solid, but while waiting on the body to be done why not find yourself the engine and trans that you want? There's loads of them out there. I personally wouldn't spend a dime on the 318 unless you want to go back to stock, but it doesn't sound like you do. Park the 318 or sell it along with the 904 and build yourself a serious drive train. That's just my  :Twocents:

That might be a better idea. I don't want to go back to stock, I thought about keeping the stock motor and selling it with the car, if I ever decide to sell it down the line but I dunno. I've looked around locally and found a 440 but haven't had much luck on the trans side. I haven't done much research on this yet, so I'll definitely start now, but if I find a 727 trans from a big block car, what all will I need to swap it in?

I'm not sure to be honest. The K frames used to be the same for sb and bb but I think that changed down the line somewhere and I'm not sure where. I'm wondering if you need the 727 crossmember as well. Someone will chime in who knows all that though and all these parts are easily found. Place a wanted ad on the board here and you'll find what you need. I'm close to Detroit so I constantly trip over 440s and 727s. Maybe someone close to you may have one for sale so it's always good to ask here. Craigslist works well too.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Dino on February 23, 2017, 03:43:13 PM
Quote from: kingdustin on February 23, 2017, 03:01:47 PM

I'm not sure to be honest. The K frames used to be the same for sb and bb but I think that changed down the line somewhere and I'm not sure where. I'm wondering if you need the 727 crossmember as well. Someone will chime in who knows all that though and all these parts are easily found. Place a wanted ad on the board here and you'll find what you need. I'm close to Detroit so I constantly trip over 440s and 727s. Maybe someone close to you may have one for sale so it's always good to ask here. Craigslist works well too.

All 68-72 Chargers will accept any engine without any modifications.  Your free to choose 318 on up to a 440.

kingdustin

That is good to know, thanks!  :cheers:

kingdustin

Looks like I'll be picking up the 727 bb trans this weekend and the 440, hopefully next.  :2thumbs: Now to research what other parts I'll need to complete the swap.

400sforever

Good looking 71!. Ive got a 74 charger with a 400 block stroked to a 512 ci and its a serious street monster. ive also got a 440 in a 73 charger drag car, but it is also very streetable. Both engines make 600 hp. They both cost me around $8,000 each, just starting with bare blocks. Well worth every penny! how wild of a driveline are you wanting to build? I have manual valve bodies in my 727s and they are totally awesome. If you don't mind shifting your automatic manually, I think you would love it
1974 dodge charger se 512 cubic inches, 3.91 suregrip

kingdustin

Thanks! That is pretty awesome, I'd love to build a big power one eventually, but nothing too wild right now. I'm really hoping to drive it this summer. It will take a lot of work, including finishing our shop, but I think it can be done. The 440 I'm picking up is partially built and I'll probably just rebuild the 727, just to get it all in there and moving. Then this winter we're going to try and do a lot of the body work.

charge69

Welcome here, Kingdustin.

Great starting point for a custom build. I'm diggin' those Cragar mags also although I might be a little biased.  Happy you found a BB 727 and a 440 engine as you can make it as streetable or track-worthy as you would like. All you have to do is rub enough money on it !  

Keep at it and keep posting pics here as we all like pics !

kingdustin

Thanks! It's going to be a fun father/son project. My dad has always wanted a Charger, and at the price I couldn't pass this one up. I'm parting out my WRX to fund this so hopefully we'll have a decent starting point budget wise. I'll definitely keep this updated withe new pics and status updates as we go. This weekend's goal is to build a loft in the shop, move all the extra parts I have up there and start organizing the shop. If I get some extra time, I might start stripping it down a little bit.

ACUDANUT

Father Son Project ?  You and your son ? or you and your dad ? :scratchchin:

kingdustin

Haha, my dad and I  :2thumbs: My daughter might help a little, but she is a tad bit young still. She does like to sit in it though  :lol:

Nacho-RT74

Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 26, 2017, 12:25:56 PM
K member to SB and BB changed in 73

Yep, and I did not include those years. Hope all is well amigo.

400sforever

I put a 400 in a 74 that was a 318 car and just had to change motor mounts is all
1974 dodge charger se 512 cubic inches, 3.91 suregrip

Nacho-RT74

Quote from: 400sforever on February 26, 2017, 04:31:23 PM
I put a 400 in a 74 that was a 318 car and just had to change motor mounts is all

Locally in Vzla lot of ppl makes it, but shumacher services sell the engine mount adaptor to this change for some reason...

I think if using regular BB mounts On an SB Kmember, will compromise the driveline alignment.

Quote from: ACUDANUT on February 26, 2017, 01:38:13 PM
Quote from: Nacho-RT74 on February 26, 2017, 12:25:56 PM
K member to SB and BB changed in 73

Yep, and I did not include those years. Hope all is well amigo.

LOL
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

moparnation74

Welcome as well!

Great project and keep us posted...

Your daughters shirt in front of the car is priceless :2thumbs:

kingdustin

I picked it out for a reason that day  :lol:  :icon_smile_big:

Picked up the transmission this weekend, looks pretty clean actually but I'll rebuild it while it's out. The guy I picked it up from got it from a swap meet awhile back and he never installed it. Any recommendations on rebuild kits? I've looked at a couple that seem to be pretty similar in specs and prices.

And to update on all progress, I picked up a sand blaster and parts washer this weekend, but we didn't get the loft built in the shop yet. We're hoping to get that built on Wednesday so I can start moving parts up there and unpacking the new tools. Once it gets nice out, we'll start stripping the car and roll it out to sand blast everything. I'm hoping to fix the bad stuff ourselves and then I may actually be able to trade my partially parted out WRX for some body work and a paint job.  :icon_smile_big:

71_Charger_R/T

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting a nice platform to start with! Just a word of caution....... When you say you are going to sandblast. I wouldn't sandblast any exterior body panels that you are going to keep. Sandblasting can warp panels pretty easily! I would resort to using a different media, preferably soda. If you do sandblast, keep a healthy distance from the surface. It will help reduce the chance of warpage.
:Twocents:

Keep the updates coming! I love to see people bring these third gens back!   :popcrn:

kingdustin

Quote from: 71_Charger_R/T on February 28, 2017, 04:52:54 PM
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting a nice platform to start with! Just a word of caution....... When you say you are going to sandblast. I wouldn't sandblast any exterior body panels that you are going to keep. Sandblasting can warp panels pretty easily! I would resort to using a different media, preferably soda. If you do sandblast, keep a healthy distance from the surface. It will help reduce the chance of warpage.
:Twocents:

Keep the updates coming! I love to see people bring these third gens back!   :popcrn:

That's definitely good to know! We looked at soda blasting too, might have to pick one of those up. No big updates with the Charger, we built the frame for a room in the back of the shop, that will give us more room to organize stuff. Hopefully if it gets nice this weekend we'll roll  the car back out and clean the shop some more. Once that's done we'll be able to start tearing it down. I did pick up a couple books on building the 727 and 440, so at least I have something to do when I'm not out at the shop  :icon_smile_big:

kingdustin

Haven't had a whole lot of updates recently, been focusing on getting the shop finished, electricity and lights ran, etc. Then we'll be able to get organized and get to work.

I did pick up a 440 from a 76 motorhome and an edelbrock carb.

lukedukem

I like that storage room, looks very organized.  :2thumbs:

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

kingdustin

Quote from: lukedukem on March 21, 2017, 10:25:33 AM
I like that storage room, looks very organized.  :2thumbs:

Luke

Thanks! It's getting there. Now we've got the rest of the shop to do   :lol:

Quote from: alfaitalia on March 21, 2017, 12:01:54 PM
Is that moss on the 440!!!

And no haha, it does look it though. It was leaking oil so it's covered in oil/dust. He did have  it tarped but it was sitting outside. I plan on tearing it down and with any luck, just cleaning and replacing the gaskets. It was running when it was pulled a couple years ago so I'm hoping the internals are decent enough to drive for a little this summer.

Kern Dog

Are you actually Royalty or did you name yourself like King Ezekiel in The Walking Dead?  :smilielol:
The K member that you have is actually the same from 1970-72. These are the same for the 318-383-400-440. There was a different K member for the slant six and yet another for the HEMI. Why the hell did they do this? It makes no sense to me at all. They should have stamped out a single K member for all engines and just made the bolt on metal brackets specific to each engine type. Nobody called me to consult on that decision though. I think this began in the mid 60s and even if they had called, I was busy nursing on my mother and trying to learn to speak.
Regarding the topic of  "Keeping the 318 in case I sell"....I used to instantly respond to any numbers matching slant six, 318 references as WHO cares about originality with a 318 car sort of tone. Personally I still feel that way but some people do not. Some people either glom onto that lexicon thinking it makes them sound like a "player" in the classic car world OR they really find it special to have an original engine regardless of the performance.
Me? I yanked the original 318 from my Charger to swap in a 440 in 2001. I sold the engine with zero regrets. To me, the car is worth more with a performance engine than it is with a 318. There are exceptions and this may be an opinion that isn't shared by many: A LOW mileage car in excellent condition, AKA a Survivor will likely always garner more money and attention if kept original.