News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Metering valve and prop valve issues

Started by rikubot, February 23, 2017, 10:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Hi dudes

I recently installed a front disc brake kit from Classic Industries on my '69 Charger. I used the all in one metering and proportioning valve and new front brake lines. Hooked all this up to the repop Hemi master and dual diaphragm booster. I had a few issues with leaks pretty much anywhere that could leak. I fixed most of them by tightening the fittings down he-man gorilla tight. This seems to have fixed most of them. Still have a leaky pass side banjo. I was just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or advice to share with these fittings giving them problems. For the banjo, I'm just gonna clean up the area real well and try new crush washers. I've never worked with brake lines before. Thanks in advance.
'69 Charger, 440/727

Dino

Are you running stainless steel lines? They are notorious for leaks.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

rikubot

No, I opted out because they were quite a bit more money. Good to know being cheap helped out for once. I re-used everything but the two front lines and had to replace a fitting and re-flare the rear line.
'69 Charger, 440/727

John_Kunkel

Quote from: rikubot on February 23, 2017, 10:28:42 PM
Still have a leaky pass side banjo.

Be sure the body of the banjo fitting isn't riding up on the raised area around the counterbore where the washer sits.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

rikubot

Quote from: John_Kunkel on February 24, 2017, 01:49:18 PM
Quote from: rikubot on February 23, 2017, 10:28:42 PM
Still have a leaky pass side banjo.

Be sure the body of the banjo fitting isn't riding up on the raised area around the counterbore where the washer sits.

Thanks for the tip. It seems to have good clearance. Gonna try new crush washers and clean the paint off that part of the caliper.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Update: I think I got everything to seal up. Took her out for a drive and the brakes seem to work pretty well. I'll keep an eye on everything. It seems all it took was a couple new washers (I heated them up and dropped them in ice water because I heard that softens them) and snugging up the fittings super tight.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I have a quick question: Will air in the lines cause the valve to throw the dummy light? From what I understand, sir is squishy and might make the little piston thing move to that side and ground out. I'm getting the dummy light sporadically.
'69 Charger, 440/727

c00nhunterjoe

Sounds like air in the system. Did you have someone assist you while bleeding them?

rikubot

I did not. I had a bottle of fluid with a tube going into the bottom of it and had the arc of the tube going up and over the caliper/cylinder. I definitely did not feel confident in this method and it was very messy. I can't usually find someone to help me, but someone suggested I buy one of those pump bleeders. Any thoughts on those? Should I just try harder to get someone's assistance?
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I just remembered to ask if you guys ever had clearance issues with your calipers hitting your front shocks?

Edit: when the car is off the ground with the wheel cranked. Seems there is decent clearance when the suspension is suspending
'69 Charger, 440/727