News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

FOUND - Woodward Garage #88 Daytona data recorder box, remote buttons

Started by odcics2, February 24, 2017, 12:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

I got a call from Mike Koran of SVI telling me he ran across the box when moving out of his shop. We had talked years ago, when Ron Killen mentioned that Mike might have the stuff, after it was removed from the last car to use it - the MoTown Missile A Body.
Over a few year span, the data box & recorder was in the #88, the Woodward Garage Superbird, Petty's 1971 Road Runner (Nov. 1970 test at Daytona) and the various MoTown Missile E Body and A Body drag cars.  Details will be in an upcoming article in the DSAC Newsletter with more photos of all the associated gear.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

Dave Kanofsky

"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

farm966

So this is an early data logger? I guess you mount it in the back as ballast too??

odcics2

Quote from: farm966 on February 24, 2017, 04:23:14 PM
So this is an early data logger? I guess you mount it in the back as ballast too??

Yes. This is the first on board data recording system used that I know of...   Big, bulky, but it worked.  :coolgleamA:

odcics2

Some comments from Bill Hancock -

"That data recorder box brings back memories. Killen and I installed and used that system a number of times. I was there during the transition from the Lockheed FM recorder to the EMR telemetry system that we used later. Killen and I used to go to Pettys and various shops all over the country and install the recorder and the various sensors so we could test the various vehicles. We tested everything from drag cars to NASCAR stuff and even off road pickup trucks.

We used to joke that we were the only company who had data on the trip from Milan to SVI on Fernlee. The driver would invariable forget to turn off the recorder after the run, so we would load the car after the last run and record all the way back to SVI.

When I got inducted into the Hall of Fame last summer, I showed a copy of the ad that Lockheed ran showing the recorder in the back of the 88. I attached it below. We were the first to perform live data acquisition in a race car. Buick had a similar setup called Oscar, but it was much later, around 1982 I think.

chickendeluxe

I got a lot of inner tubes in a dealer buyout purchase.  Im not sure if I saw Goodyear, but I will now keep my eye out.

PS-  I have ALL sizes.  any idea on a resource to sell about 100 various tubes to?

Chris

odcics2

Quote from: chickendeluxe on March 16, 2017, 09:50:26 PM
I got a lot of inner tubes in a dealer buyout purchase.  Im not sure if I saw Goodyear, but I will now keep my eye out.

PS-  I have ALL sizes.  any idea on a resource to sell about 100 various tubes to?

Chris

PM sent.

Mopar John

Greg,
This is amazing!
To find the one of one original data recorder with photos showing it in your one of one #88 are just unreal!
I hope you find some of those inner tubes to finish off that detail item.
By the way how is the car coming along?
MJ

Charger_Fan

That is really cool, I had no idea they used such a thing back then. I wonder how well it worked?

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

odcics2

Quote from: Mopar John on March 18, 2017, 09:46:58 AM
Greg,
This is amazing!
To find the one of one original data recorder with photos showing it in your one of one #88 are just unreal!
I hope you find some of those inner tubes to finish off that detail item.
By the way how is the car coming along?
MJ

Coming along great. Fixing things done wrong that wasn't known a few years back.  After all the time researching things, still new info is there to be seen.

I always tell Doug S., he is lucky to have a Bird in one piece and almost like it left the track!!   

As you know, details separate the men from the boys.  Only a few appreciate the effort to be 100% correct.   :cheers: