News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 cuda convertible rockers

Started by superbirdtom, February 24, 2017, 06:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

superbirdtom

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference between the rocker skin thickness between a convert or a hardtop 70 cuda?  or what else was done to make the body on the convertible stronger?  I am going to take on me and my brothers rusty crusty cuda  but do not want to put in subframe connectors, has anyone done anything like form custom rocker skins that are much thicker than originals.  any input would be appreciated.

Dino

I can't tell you what they did to these cars but on the average convertible the reinforcements are done to the frame itself, inner rockers and such. The outer rocker is just the skin and should never be relied on to carry forces like that. Unless much of the car has already been lost, you should be able to see how the frame was built and what gauge steel was used. Just copy that and you're good to go.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Mike DC

IIRC the old Mopar converts had a thick extra piece inside the rocker box running the length of it.  Same rocker skins.  And they had the "torque box" plating which the 4spd R/T cars usually got too.  

When you imagine a convertible unibody with the doors removed, you get a sense of how critical the rocker boxes become to the structure.  Some of that extra metal in the rockers was probably done for the sake of literally adding more raw pounds of steel holding the front & rear halves together.

Stiffness and strength are two different things.  If you're building a hardtop car then you mainly want gains in stiffness.  That is more in the torque boxing.  

superbirdtom

to Dc and Dino.     I just wonder since i have to replace the floor and the torsion bar crossbrace and possibly the torsion box piece. maybe the rocker skin. I was wondering if besides the torsion boxes the piece your talking about running fore and aft that is sandwiched between the floor and the rocker panels was thicker than a hardtop?   theirs so many little things on a convertible that are different and every little thing adds strength in some way. so possible I could just double up that piece or just fab up a complete new one that is twice as thick.  This car is a real heap but its a true 383 cuda convert. and I think is worth restoring just want to make sure its actually stronger.  I did see someone weld a steel tube inside a rocker on a convertible road runner.

Thank you for the input!

Dino

I honestly don't know which parts are thicker gauge compared to hardtops. I'd go as thick as you can fit in there. The information should be out there though but alas I don't have it.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

superbirdtom

hey Dino. Of course I should have done research. I came across photos of very stout steel reinforcements that ma mopar put into every convertible rocker. I am horrible at posting pics but this answers my question for sure. as without them all the convertibles would be sagging terribly.  I will attempt to attach them on my next post.  Thanks!

MoPaR 312

I have some inner rocker braces laying around somewhere. I'll see if I can snap a picture of them tomorrow.

BrianShaughnessy

Put in the subframe connectors.... seriously!   Unless this is a #s matching hemi car and you're into it for 6 figures and are just doing this for future B-J auction.

I recommend them to everybody...  whichever kind you want... just do something.   Time and rust are not kind to our cars.    You'll be able to enjoy the car so much more with them.
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on February 26, 2017, 10:08:01 AM
Put in the subframe connectors.... seriously!   Unless this is a #s matching hemi car and you're into it for 6 figures and are just doing this for future B-J auction.

I recommend them to everybody...  whichever kind you want... just do something.   Time and rust are not kind to our cars.    You'll be able to enjoy the car so much more with them.

Agreed, the E body verts really need all the frame stiffening they can get, even with subframe connectors the vert will still flex some, I'd recommend the thru floor full boxed versions welded into place. I'd also recommend the subframes be welded in as the car is supported off it's suspension and allowed to arch it's back so to speak, so that when it's on it suspension the unibody is already "loaded" in an expanded arched mode to resist the sag that often is present in verts, esp the front cowl area

Here's some vert E body pics of the vert reinforcements found in the rockers, they're approx 1/4" thick

Mike DC

IIRC those things are like 40 lbs apiece.  

That's what I was getting at earlier - Chrysler was adding a lot of raw metal between the front & rear halves of the car.  

I doubt those things would even offer very much stiffness on their own.  They do add more strength (good in a wreck) but they don't bridge or cover any new areas to make the body more rigid.      

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on February 26, 2017, 11:12:19 PM

IIRC those things are like 40 lbs apiece.  

That's what I was getting at earlier - Chrysler was adding a lot of raw metal between the front & rear halves of the car.  

I doubt those things would even offer very much stiffness on their own.  They do add more strength (good in a wreck) but they don't bridge or cover any new areas to make the body more rigid.      

25 lbs each, and agreed, the support they offer is minimal at best if any from my experience

Mike DC

Quote25 lbs each, and agreed, the support they offer is minimal at best if any from my experience

Only 25 lbs?  I'm surprised it isn't more, being as thick as they are.