News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ran into lead when installing patch panel

Started by DW, February 25, 2017, 07:32:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DW

Hi guys,

I am trying to fix some rusted out areas around the back window of my son's 65 Coronet.  Made all of the patch panels, and cut out the first section that I was replacing and went to weld the patch in.  Hit the trigger and all I heard was this soft hiss and the metal puddled up (not the kind of puddle you want).  This was the original metal, not the patch.  After checking it out a little more I realized that that section of the body was lead.  It's a pretty thick layer.

So now I'm not sure what to do.  The lead is only a small section, about 2-3 inches, between my thumb and finger in the pic below, on one end.  The rest is all steel so the patch will be anchored well.  Is there anything I can do to attach the patch panel to the lead there?  I've read some other posts where people recommend removing the lead and welding in steel to replace it.  I don't really want to do that.  I don't know how far it goes and they don't make many pre-made panels for this car.  I'm OK at making small patches, but I'm not that good.  Maybe I can open the gap a little bit and fill it with an epoxy?
1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.

hemi-hampton

The lead looks like it's in the usual spot where the factory would lead the 1/4 panel seam at dutchman panel area. What I usually do is is light up a little blue hand held propane torch & melt it out of there. You can't weld on the lead, so remove it. After you put your patch in you can use a all metal body filler over the seam where factory leaded it. even put it over your welded patch if you want. Just my opinion, I'm sure others will vary.  :shruggy: :Twocents: LEON.

Dino

Get rid of the lead. After you weld your patch in you can do as Leon said. You can also look at the other side and see if you can hammer the seam up a bit so you don't need so much filler. I definitely wouldn't use any epoxy or anything.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

DW

1968 Dodge Coronet R/T.  Original 440/727.  B5 Blue with White Interior.  1964 Plymouth Belvedere 383/4-speed.  65 Coronet 4-Dr with poly stroker.

DW

Got it out.  Started welding in the patches.  God, I suck at welding sheet metal.  ::)

GMP440

How did the welding project come out?  Any pics of the stages of work you did?

Highbanked Hauler

Hey  DW welding just takes  PRACTICE and clean metal and experience will make good welds.. :2thumbs:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser