News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Alternator over charging ???

Started by Highbanked Hauler, March 22, 2017, 07:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

I got stuck on the road last fall and got a rebuilt alternator to get home. I have a blue MP regulator for a 69 and it was charging at 14 volts instantly when I put the alt. in and didn't drop. I started the car for the first time since last fall and it went right to 15.4 volts. As it ran it didn't go below 14.5 and obviously shouldn't be more than 13.5 .. Are these "blue" regulators junk ? I haven't seen an alternator put out that much juice before. At that voltage won't it will shorten the lives of bulbs and the battery ? :o
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Bronzedodge

"Blue" voltage regulator?  You mean the MP 13.5 constant output voltage regulator?  Opinions vary on it's use on the street, or even how it functions.  It's supposed to maintain a minimum of 13.5 output, which can shorten bulb and battery life.  Mopar says race use only.   :Twocents:
Mopar forever!

Dino

I had that same regulator and the same issues. I replaced it with the '70 model and got a 90A alternator. All is well now!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Bronzedodge on March 23, 2017, 05:06:30 AM
"Blue" voltage regulator?  You mean the MP 13.5 constant output voltage regulator?  Opinions vary on it's use on the street, or even how it functions.  It's supposed to maintain a minimum of 13.5 output, which can shorten bulb and battery life.  Mopar says race use only.   :Twocents:

I had the same MP blue regulator from 1992 till  last year and no problems,it ran 13.5 volts forever but it died so I got another MP blue regulator which ran about 14.0 volts but as soon as i changed the alternator I was up over 15 volts.  The 69 has different wiring plugs than a 70.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Dino

Oh right, I forgot. I customized some of my wiring.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.