News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help me plan a driveline

Started by Midnight_Rider, February 28, 2017, 12:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

No Offense intended here,
but in my experience with Cleveland builds around the power levels indicated by your parts description(And I've seen, Dyno'd and built plenty of them),
it won't take very much comparatively in the way of even a .030" over 440 Engine ? to put a smile on your face you couldn't wipe off with a 2 X 4. 

Torque is what moves you and what you "feel" in the seat of your pants, and again here no offense intended..... but your Cleveland was not even in the same league, nor with HP @ rpm on that Cam.
Again my apologies here....
NOT trying to slag your past efforts in the Mustang, I'm sure it was a very fun Car, and obviously a BEAUTIFULLY done head turner :2thumbs:
Just say'in.... you can expect a different animal altogether.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: Challenger340 on March 06, 2017, 12:45:00 PM
No Offense intended here,
but in my experience with Cleveland builds around the power levels indicated by your parts description(And I've seen, Dyno'd and built plenty of them),
it won't take very much comparatively in the way of even a .030" over 440 Engine ? to put a smile on your face you couldn't wipe off with a 2 X 4. 

Torque is what moves you and what you "feel" in the seat of your pants, and again here no offense intended..... but your Cleveland was not even in the same league, nor with HP @ rpm on that Cam.
Again my apologies here....
NOT trying to slag your past efforts in the Mustang, I'm sure it was a very fun Car, and obviously a BEAUTIFULLY done head turner :2thumbs:
Just say'in.... you can expect a different animal altogether.

No apologies needed, nor offense taken at all. I just wasn't sure how much difference the added weight of a 72 B body over the Mustang woud make, in soaking up the extra power of a 440? In a frame of reference of the type of builds you were talking about in the "lowly 440" thread.

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 06, 2017, 07:02:43 AM
What is the reasoning for wanting to not use one?

I'd like to get out of the periodic lash check/adjustments.

Challenger340

Quote from: Midnight_Rider on March 06, 2017, 03:54:56 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 06, 2017, 07:02:43 AM
What is the reasoning for wanting to not use one?

I'd like to get out of the periodic lash check/adjustments.

Being primarily Comp oriented at our Shop, we are NOT really fans of "Hydraulic" anything, Flat Tappet nor Roller ?
That said,
I think the "lowly 440" thread does illustrate just what "can" be accomplished using an off the shelf Hydraulic Flat Tappet Cam(that does NOT require any periodic adjustment), with just good Machining and Build technique applied ?

Not blowing our own horn so much as just pointing out,(IMO), we made as much or more power on .030" and .060" over 440's, using small'ish F.T. Cams, within a very usable rpm range, as many similarily illustrated Stroker combinations ?
and,
while the pricing may ultimately get close to what the Stroker costs due to the added Head prep and FULL Block Machining Pkg. ?
I can report back from Customer feedback after a few years on the "lowly 440's.... and make NO mistake here,  these guys whoop on 'em like a Red-Headed Stepchild....
* They NEVER miss a beat
* ALL are extremely reliable
* NO Tics, Noises, Drips, Leaks, Farts, or issues to report whatsoever, ALL are extremely happy.

My point being,
you can make power with anything if you know how ?
and,
The biggest mistake we see on a daily basis, is that people just going out buying "parts" is no guarantee of power, nor reliability, without buying the "expertise" to make it work !

It's gotten so sad in our Geographical area ?
we could damn near be full time "Janitors" just fixing the messes.
So Nowadays,
if we didn't build it originally ? we don't let it in the door... NO EXCEPTIONS !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Midnight_Rider

Quote from: Midnight_Rider on March 05, 2017, 10:14:57 AM
I already have a 440 waiting in the wings, so no debating B/RB unless the block fails to pass muster.

Getting pretty close to the point where I can have the block checked and find out if it's a go... got the floorpans in and the car itself is off to get new quarters, so I started tearing the motor home 440 down.

alfaitalia

I used to have one of those engine block supports!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!