News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

2nd Bullitt Mustang found??

Started by Dreamcar, March 02, 2017, 12:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcar

The DOH made me love 69 Chargers, but Bullitt made me love dark green 68 Mustangs. Two Mustangs were used for filming Bullitt, and the one that was believed to have been destroyed may have just been found in Mexico...If it's true, I'd love to see how much it comes up as at auction. The fact that next year is the 50th anniversary makes be think it could be fake too. We'll see. Now if only the person hoarding the other Bullitt would allow it to be seen.

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/02/bullitt-mustang-mexico-find/?hcid=hp-tile-large3

"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

1969 Charger, 383, Q5/V1W, A35, H51, N88,  numbers match (under restoration)

tan top

:scratchchin: :pigsfly:  got an idea it might be the same deal as that black was yellow 68 charger a few years back
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Aero426

Two surviving Bullitt Mustangs cuts their value by about 50 percent.     If you could prove that McQueen farted in the seat in a particular car,  that would help. 

Mike DC

That story smells like BS.  Typical 'found' car story. 

The car has been worked on many times over the years but for some reason just certain modifications are still untouched.  There isn't anything showing the body damage that the movie car got, from both the jumps and the banging.  I suppose all that damage was FLAWLESSLY undone, but the big hole in the wheelwell for the camera crew's power generator was left as-is?  Riiiiight.

----------------------

I could imagine the '68 Charger survivor being real.  It's easy to drill some holes in a body, but a lot of that car's history was putting it in exactly the right place & time.  If the car's paperwork isn't faked then it would be either the real car, or else an identical-looking car that was on that dealership lot a few yards away from it when the film crew showed up. 

No telling about the paperwork though.  I would judge that case based on the credibility of the guy who found it.  He was an older guy.  He should already have a track record of honesty or dishonesty.

Dreamcar

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 02, 2017, 03:29:31 PM

That story smells like BS.  Typical 'found' car story. 

The car has been worked on many times over the years but for some reason just certain modifications are still untouched.  There isn't anything showing the body damage that the movie car got, from both the jumps and the banging.  I suppose all that damage was FLAWLESSLY undone, but the big hole in the wheelwell for the camera crew's power generator was left as-is?  Riiiiight.

----------------------

I could imagine the '68 Charger survivor being real.  It's easy to drill some holes in a body, but a lot of that car's history was putting it in exactly the right place & time.  If the car's paperwork isn't faked then it would be either the real car, or else an identical-looking car that was on that dealership lot a few yards away from it when the film crew showed up. 

No telling about the paperwork though.  I would judge that case based on the credibility of the guy who found it.  He was an older guy.  He should already have a track record of honesty or dishonesty.

I agree it may be BS, but if you read through the forum posts, there's still some damage that could make it plausible.
"And another thing, when I gun the motor, I want people to think the world is coming to an end." - Homer Simpson

Dreamcar

Thanks Baldwin. The only thing that makes me suspicious still is the fact they find the car 49 years after the movie release, which gives them a year to restore it for the 50th anniversary.

If it real, I wonder how the owner of the other car feels now that his is not the only surviving car! He should have let that one go years ago.

Baldwinvette77

i think its strange that anyone would have bothered to take it, i mean it was the late 60's, its not like fastback mustangs were rare, why buy a beat up 68 when you could buy a decent 67?
and didn't they weld a sling to the front of the stunt car to launch the charger into the gas station? also wasn't this mustang a base model and not a GT?

if this is truly the car, im glad it survived, its just strange.

Mike DC

I can't imagine the stunt Charger ever surviving though.  Too bad.  That thing got crashed & burned pretty badly.   

JR

The article states that it was almost turned into an Eleanor clone before the owner realized what it was, but I'm surprised people are still building 2000 version Eleanor clones today.

It's been almost 20 years, aren't those things boring now?

Everytime I see one, I can't help but think of it as extremely dated. Like the N'Sync/Frosted Tips/baggy jeans era of pop culture moulded into a car.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Dreamcar

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on March 06, 2017, 10:21:59 PM
i think its strange that anyone would have bothered to take it, i mean it was the late 60's, its not like fastback mustangs were rare, why buy a beat up 68 when you could buy a decent 67?
and didn't they weld a sling to the front of the stunt car to launch the charger into the gas station? also wasn't this mustang a base model and not a GT?

if this is truly the car, im glad it survived, its just strange.

I've read a few articles and stuff over the years and I think I remember reading that the one that stayed in the US is the one that launched the Charger. I could seriously be wrong though. I have an old Mustang Monthly article about that particular car that I should dig up.

Dreamcar

Quote from: JR on March 07, 2017, 02:47:12 AM
The article states that it was almost turned into an Eleanor clone before the owner realized what it was, but I'm surprised people are still building 2000 version Eleanor clones today.

It's been almost 20 years, aren't those things boring now?

Everytime I see one, I can't help but think of it as extremely dated. Like the N'Sync/Frosted Tips/baggy jeans era of pop culture moulded into a car.

It's probably a childhood thing...builders are now 30+ and starting to be able to afford their childhood fantasy car. People are still having GLs built too.

Mike DC

QuoteIt's probably a childhood thing...builders are now 30+ and starting to be able to afford their childhood fantasy car. People are still having GLs built too.

General Lees, Eleanors, Fast & Furious, Bullitt clones, etc.  Same story always plays out.  The show comes out and is popular with kids.  Longtime people in the car hobby will bitch about how they wrecked some cars during filming, and how it's a waste of cars that does nothing for the hobby or future.  

Then years later they act totally surprised when lots of clones start appearing.  Coincidentally the clone 'fad' always matches the time when the show's fans have gotten old enough to have disposable income.

---------------

We should all be thanking the 2000 Eleanor for a lot.  

The 2000 Eleanor led directly to the Mustang's 2005 restyle.  In fact the production Mustangs became pretty shameless imitations of it with certain option packages.  

The 1967/68 fastback being THE right classic Mustang to copy . . . that entire idea only showed up after the 'Gone' remake.   Before then it had been an open question about which old Mustang to copy, or even to combine elements of all of them.   Right when Ford needed it, the new Eleanor was a single look that everyone agreed was a move in the right direction.

The 2005 Mustang restyle was a big success.  That single-handedly produced the 2008 Challenger, the retro touches on the modern Chargers, the new retro Camaros, etc.  

crj1968

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on March 07, 2017, 09:42:48 AM
The 2005 Mustang restyle was a big success.  That single-handedly produced the 2008 Challenger, the retro touches on the modern Chargers, the new retro Camaros, etc.  

Ford also blew everyone's mind with the GT(40) at the same time.....good stuff....and we are now launched into the new pony- muscle car era.

But 40-50K for a new muscle car is in direct competition with a modernized 60-70's car.. it's an interesting thing to see going on.

JR

You're right Mike, theres no denying the influence of Chip Foose's version of Eleanor.

I suppose I'm simply tired of looking at them. Much like red 57 Chevys, 65 Mustang coupes, or General Lee clones, I've seen enough of them to be happy never seeing another.

Kern Dog

Ever see a red 70 Chevelle at a car show?

marshallfry01

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 08, 2017, 03:14:33 AM
Ever see a red 70 Chevelle at a car show?

Usually about half a dozen or so  :eek2:
1969 Charger 383/auto
1969 Charger R/T 440/auto (waiting to be restored)
1972 Chevelle SS clone 383 sbc
1959 Chevy Apache short bed stepside
1968 Charger (glorified parts car)
Yes, I know I have too many cars. My wife reminds me daily.

JR

Considering 5-10% of the turnout at any car show are red 70 Chevelles with black stripes and Magnum 500 wheels, I imagine the owners HAVE to get in the wrong car by accident quite a lot. :icon_smile_big:

Mike DC

Chevelle guys probably say the same thing about black 2nd-gen Chargers.  Or GLs.

charge69

I, too, get really tired of "LS Whatever" Chevelles in red with black stripes at every car auction these days. Do collectors just pass them around? Z28 Camaros and GT Mustangs seem to be everywhere these days also .

I have seen pics of the supposedly new-found Bullit Mustang and, if that is it, that  car has had a hard life down there.

Not likely to see many R6 red MOPARS at auction either.  Just about every red MOPAR is R4 or "Bright Red" although you do see a lot of different colored MOPARS.