News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger Hood Latch Ideas

Started by venecharger, March 04, 2017, 10:12:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

venecharger

Hi. Since my 69 Charger is missing its original hood latch #2583 206, I wonder if there's another similar one which uses a release cable to equip it. Thanks in advance!   

Dino

3rd gens have a hood release cable so you can modify one of those on your car. E bodies have them as well. I thought about doing that to mine. Maybe later, got enough to do as is.   :eek2:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

venecharger

Quote from: Dino on March 04, 2017, 10:48:16 AM
3rd gens have a hood release cable so you can modify one of those on your car. E bodies have them as well. I thought about doing that to mine. Maybe later, got enough to do as is.   :eek2:

Thanks Dino. Since I haven´t the original latch, I don´t know if they´re similar except for the cable attachment, Do you know if they are and/or they fit the same way? Thx!

Dino

Quote from: venecharger on March 04, 2017, 12:06:09 PM

Thanks Dino. Since I haven´t the original latch, I don´t know if they´re similar except for the cable attachment, Do you know if they are and/or they fit the same way? Thx!

I haven't looked at one for a while but I believe they are similar. I suspect it would be a fairly straightforward modification even if it's not a direct fit. Maybe someone can post a few pictures of their 3rd gen setup or you can try Google images and see what you can come up with.
Keep us posted if you're going that route. That would be a very interesting mod. I don't like the idea that anyone can just open the hood of my car.

venecharger

Quote from: Dino on March 04, 2017, 12:10:43 PM
Quote from: venecharger on March 04, 2017, 12:06:09 PM

I haven't looked at one for a while but I believe they are similar. I suspect it would be a fairly straightforward modification even if it's not a direct fit. Maybe someone can post a few pictures of their 3rd gen setup or you can try Google images and see what you can come up with.
Keep us posted if you're going that route. That would be a very interesting mod. I don't like the idea that anyone can just open the hood of my car.

Of course Dino! Their images look similar, but I can´t say their dimensions are too if they´re not together for comparison. If someone can post a few pictures, it will be of great help. Thanks!

Dino

I looked at the grille frame on my 69 and the nuts for the latch are spaced about 4-1/8" center to center. If someone with a 3rd gen could measure the spacing between the latch holes that would get you started.

venecharger

Quote from: Dino on March 04, 2017, 12:31:23 PM
I looked at the grille frame on my 69 and the nuts for the latch are spaced about 4-1/8" center to center. If someone with a 3rd gen could measure the spacing between the latch holes that would get you started.

Excellent, I´ll start looking for one that matches that space.

Ryan.C

Most late 60's and 70's C-bodies have cable release hood latches as well. Just so you have a larger pool of vehicles to scrounge parts.  :2thumbs:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.