News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

rear glass ?

Started by Highbanked Hauler, March 04, 2017, 10:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

Since our cars rear windows are made of unobtainium has anyone's ins. companies had questions about that fact ?  I am thinking about putting a 1/8 thick lexan sheet under the moldings on top of the glass more or less to see if it will conform to the shape of the glass and whatever protection it would offer. :hah: :smilielol:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

WINGMAN

AMD has repo back glass $2500.00 I think. You will not find it listed to there web sight you will need to call. My buddy (panhead) bought one last year. The resin that they are not listed on there web sight there is a fitment issue, the glass is just a bit larger but not by much. We set it in place and it fit well . :Twocents: (Wingman)  Jay.
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

Mopar Nut

On Chop Cut Rebuilt show where they are rebuilding a Daytona, AMD shows a back glass.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Mopar Nut on March 04, 2017, 04:12:14 PM
On Chop Cut Rebuilt show where they are rebuilding a Daytona, AMD shows a back glass.

AMD released the Tona' and Bird glass/trim  separately and in a package deal, however some buyers have complained about the Tona trim fitment issues, and Tona glass fitment issues, AMD has pulled the Tona glass off their site/offering, just the trim shows availability at $899, I haven't heard any feedback on the Bird stuff...yet, the stuff is too expensive to have fitment issues at $2200-$2500

These cable/TV car build shows can edit out anything (or feed you a line of crap) they don't want you to see/know when it comes time to "building" the vehicles shown or show casing their products DAMHIK

Mopar Nut

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 04, 2017, 04:25:07 PM
Quote from: Mopar Nut on March 04, 2017, 04:12:14 PM

AMD released the Tona' and Bird glass/trim  separately and in a package deal, however some buyers have complained about the Tona trim fitment issues, and Tona glass fitment issues, AMD has pulled the Tona glass off their site/offering, just the trim shows availability at $899, I haven't heard any feedback on the Bird stuff...yet, the stuff is too expensive to have fitment issues at $2200-$2500

These cable/TV car build shows can edit out anything (or feed you a line of crap) they don't want you to see/know when it comes time to "building" the vehicles shown or show casing their products DAMHIK
:iagree: They should fit like a glove.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

WINGMAN

Yes like the OJ glove. :icon_smile_big:
69 Daytona XX29L9B409032 , 02 Ram Cummins,

taxspeaker

We are putting the amd rear window in our bird in 2 weeks, will post fitment issues.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: taxspeaker on March 05, 2017, 08:23:48 AM
We are putting the amd rear window in our bird in 2 weeks, will post fitment issues.

Any updates on this, curious...

taxspeaker

Not in yet, working on finishing up engine bay, then glass.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: taxspeaker on April 06, 2017, 06:59:41 PM
Not in yet, working on finishing up engine bay, then glass.

OK Thanks, I'm sure others are as curious as I am on fitment, hopefully everything goes good for you!

Mike

taxspeaker

OK I talked with Mark at Magnum Restorations last night about this window in my car. In placing the new AMD glass on top  of the old original glass (which is all scratched/chipped/aged) all physical sizes, contours, ends and thickness appear the same and of high quality. The window has the Chrysler pentastar logo in the center at the bottom, but not the date code. Other than that very minor issue it looks identical in all aspects. Installation will be next week, but for the cost of the window it better be exact!

Bob

DAY CLONA

Quote from: taxspeaker on April 13, 2017, 09:59:02 AM
OK I talked with Mark at Magnum Restorations last night about this window in my car. In placing the new AMD glass on top  of the old original glass (which is all scratched/chipped/aged) all physical sizes, contours, ends and thickness appear the same and of high quality. The window has the Chrysler pentastar logo in the center at the bottom, but not the date code. Other than that very minor issue it looks identical in all aspects. Installation will be next week, but for the cost of the window it better be exact!

Bob

Hmmmmm,... I sent Mark some of my repro parts for a Superbird a few weeks ago, wonder if it's for your bird?

Mike

odcics2

Ok, so Bird is ok...  :2thumbs:

What about 500/Daytona rear glass?    :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: odcics2 on April 13, 2017, 11:38:09 AM
Ok, so Bird is ok...  :2thumbs:

What about 500/Daytona rear glass?    :shruggy:

Fitment issues, as well as the trim, glass currently on hold by AMD...I suspect they are probably 100% inspecting remaining stock at this time

The trim is available, but only the 3 bottom pieces fit with no issues, upper's crap

Mike

rickroadrunner

Regarding the date coding, AMD on  their website says they  have correct date coding for Superbird, but you mentioned it only had the pentastar logo.
Have AMD changed their glass etching recently so is exactly the same as original?
Also, what size butyl rubber is required for fitment? Thanks

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: rickroadrunner on August 24, 2017, 08:39:52 AM
Regarding the date coding, AMD on  their website says they  have correct date coding for Superbird, but you mentioned it only had the pentastar logo.
Have AMD changed their glass etching recently so is exactly the same as original?
Also, what size butyl rubber is required for fitment? Thanks

Don't think I have used anything but 3/8 in. forever.. :Twocents:
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

wingcar

So with all the talk about Daytona/500 rear glass.....what would an NOS rear Daytona window cost?

*(Like the one I've had in my garage for years.....maybe it's time to let go...)
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

taxspeaker

There is one for a Daytona now at Hemmings.com for $315,000 but you would need to remove it from the car :smilielol:

Stevearino

I don't think the original question of this thread was answered. Placing 1/8 Lexan on top would probably end up trapping condensation between the two panels and if there are any minerals trapped in there they could etch your glass under those circumstances. Also unless it is a molded piece of lexan it would probably not conform well. You might end up messing up the moldings and clips adding that extra layer also.  :Twocents: To add protection we have tear offs that we apply to the windshields of our race cars that you can apply. They are very clear. I think most window tinting outfits can get this stuff. Pro Tint in Kannapolis does our windshields and sometimes they have 4 tear offs on there and you can see through all of them perfectly.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Stevearino on August 25, 2017, 05:45:52 PM
I don't think the original question of this thread was answered. Placing 1/8 Lexan on top would probably end up trapping condensation between the two panels and if there are any minerals trapped in there they could etch your glass under those circumstances. Also unless it is a molded piece of lexan it would probably not conform well. You might end up messing up the moldings and clips adding that extra layer also.  :Twocents: To add protection we have tear offs that we apply to the windshields of our race cars that you can apply. They are very clear. I think most window tinting outfits can get this stuff. Pro Tint in Kannapolis does our windshields and sometimes they have 4 tear offs on there and you can see through all of them perfectly.

:lol: :lol: Thanks Steve, I wondered about tear offs. Does Pro Tint come to the shop and do a stack of windshields at a time or or after the glass is on the car ? I was thinking of using tear offs to see how long they would last..
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser