News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Trunk Closure

Started by 6PakBee, March 05, 2017, 05:22:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6PakBee

Did anyone ever start making a steel Daytona trunk closure strip again?

Daytona R/T SE

Gene Gregory still had several last time I checked.

Gene:

618-488-7941

618-420-1901-cell

6PakBee

I don't mean to be crass or insensitive but I thought Mr. Gregory passed away.  Am I confusing him with another?  My apologies to both if I am.

held1823

that was Jack McGaughey, who passed away August 31, 2012

certainly did not seem that long ago
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi68charger

Quote from: 6PakBee on March 05, 2017, 06:46:00 PM
I don't mean to be crass or insensitive but I thought Mr. Gregory passed away.  Am I confusing him with another?  My apologies to both if I am.

Gene apparently is "selling" the rights or something to that effect the presses he uses? Spoke with him a few months ago about noses.... He had a limited supply left. Not sure about plugs......

T
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: hemi68charger on March 06, 2017, 01:16:56 PM
I don't mean to be crass or insensitive but I thought Mr. Gregory passed away.  Am I confusing him with another?  My apologies to both if I am.

Gene apparently is "selling" the rights or something to that effect the presses he uses? Spoke with him a few months ago about noses.... He had a limited supply left. Not sure about plugs......

T

When I talked to him he said he was getting rid of all his e body stuff and was going to keep making the wing car parts. I've seen both a new Superbird nosecone and a new Daytona nose cone of his in the last two weeks...he is still making them.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 06, 2017, 02:34:54 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on March 06, 2017, 01:16:56 PM
I don't mean to be crass or insensitive but I thought Mr. Gregory passed away.  Am I confusing him with another?  My apologies to both if I am.

T

When I talked to him he said he was getting rid of all his e body stuff and was going to keep making the wing car parts. I've seen both a new Superbird nosecone and a new Daytona nose cone of his in the last two weeks...he is still making them.

That's good news........  :cheers:
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

6PakBee

Talked to Gene today and ordered a closure strip.  Thanks for the help.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: 6PakBee on March 06, 2017, 07:45:39 PM
Talked to Gene today and ordered a closure strip.  Thanks for the help.

:cheers:

hemi68charger

Troy

held1823

happen to know what the daytona cone cost? i don't want to waste his time if it's beyond what i have available to spend
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Daytona R/T SE

His prices vary according to his mood, the phases of the moon, ambient temperature and his current surplus or lack of cash. But generally speaking he gets about $7000-$8000 for a nosecone,  which for some reason, he has powder coated black.  :shruggy:

The black powder coating really accentuates the flaws in the nose cones.

The waves, dents, obvious hammer marks.  ::)

I'd advise inspecting the nose cone in person before laying down the cash. :Twocents:

held1823

thanks. he has priced himself out of my comfort zone for his work. i'm not quite ready to settle for a glass cone, but that may become my only option for now

if anyone else is doing them in metal, they should message me with details on their product.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: held1823 on March 10, 2017, 07:02:13 PM
thanks. he has priced himself out of my comfort zone for his work

I agree.

If I were going to get one of his nose cones, I would ask to buy the unassembled panels before the welding or powder coating.

I believe some "fitting" will be required.  :Twocents:

I'd much rather assemble and weld something like this myself.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 10, 2017, 07:08:15 PM
Quote from: held1823 on March 10, 2017, 07:02:13 PM
thanks. he has priced himself out of my comfort zone for his work

I agree.

If I were going to get one of his nose cones, I would ask to buy the unassembled panels before the welding or powder coating.

I believe some "fitting" will be required.  :Twocents:

I'd much rather assemble and weld something like this myself.

Gene has sold them like this in the past and they generally run $4500 to $5500, as mentioned this is perhaps the best way to have the cone fit YOUR car, rather than having to undo welds, or re-hammer flanges, etc

But you have to catch Gene at the right time, as he batch runs the nosecone parts, as he has to lease die storage and set-up/press time with an independent contractor, it was erratic in the past, and with his "recent" retiring things may be better or worse 

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

DAY CLONA

Quote from: rob-dirt on March 16, 2017, 11:17:57 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stamped-Superbird-Daytona-Nosecone-MOPAR-/132122065307?hash=item1ec316b99b:g:9j8AAOSwSlBYwvdR

look,s like their 5 k powder coat is that a good idea  ? ? ?

I suspect Gene meant to say E coated, not powdercoated, his "current" price is actually well within line for what your getting, his prices can fluctuate between $5K up to $10K for Daytona/Bird noses, many reasons as to why, but nothing to do with the product...IMHO your not going to find a better repro steel nose on the current market

Mike

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 17, 2017, 04:40:09 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Stamped-Superbird-Daytona-Nosecone-MOPAR-/132122065307?hash=item1ec316b99b:g:9j8AAOSwSlBYwvdR

I suspect Gene meant to say E coated, not powdercoated, his "current" price is actually well within line for what your getting, his prices can fluctuate between $5K up to $10K for Daytona/Bird noses, many reasons as to why, but nothing to do with the product...IMHO your not going to find a better repro steel nose on the current market

Mike

Mike,

They are in fact, powder coated. :Twocents:

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 17, 2017, 04:07:38 PM

Mike

Mike,

Yikes!, I thought Gene or his Daughter had probably meant E coated in the ad, why in the hell would he have a body part powdercoated? that's a mess to remove, I can never figure Gene's "madness" sometimes, I wish someone would take over his nosecone business on a larger scale like AMD, all the R&D is been done for decades, he just needs a large scale  investor to take over..

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: DAY CLONA on March 17, 2017, 09:41:35 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 17, 2017, 04:07:38 PM

Mike

Mike,

Yikes!, I thought Gene or his Daughter had probably meant E coated in the ad, why in the hell would he have a body part powdercoated? that's a mess to remove

Yeah, I don't understand the powder coat thing either.   :shruggy: