News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Phillips H4 LED

Started by flyinlow, March 08, 2017, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

I have Hella headlight housings with Sylvania Silver Star  H4 and H1 bulbs now. The light is much better than stock and the low beam cut off does not blind the on coming traffic. Headlights are relayed.

If I install Phillips H4 LED's will they work correctly with those housings ? The depth into the housing where the light is produced appears to be the same. Any recommendations?

68CoronetRT

I'm doing this exact swap this week on my car.

It might be blinding a little to oncoming traffic with the reflector housings, but I've read that it isnt that bad for the gains you get from the LED.

flyinlow

Thanks, let me know what you think once installed.   :popcrn:

68CoronetRT

45(or maybe 55) watt halogen vs 20 watt 6k LED. Car is off, so might be a little dim on the halogen side. I like it. Some of friends are haters because its not "period correct" but I dont care. The Hella lenses throw a very nice pattern!

Kern Dog

Since LEDs draw a fraction of the current as traditional headlights, it seems you could skip the relays. I tried installing relays in my 70 Charger and it resulted in some strange reactions from the headlight doors. I ended up replacing the engine harness and the headlight harness. I figure with new wiring, headlights like these are a simple upgrade.

JR

How are these led h4s working at night?

I've got led fog lamps, and they are really bright and intense and make the car more visible during the day, but they don't project the light very far at all at night.

Can you post some nighttime shots?
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

68CoronetRT

I will post some night time shots tonight/tomorrow. I got them in and haven't road tested yet.

I'm also running the Hella conversion lenses, so that should help with projection.

68CoronetRT

OK. Have a slight issue with the pass side plastic clip that the little screws goes through. BUT, I was able to get them decently adjusted. Here are some pics. Anyone know where I can get those clips? I need 2.

20-30ft from the wall.

Driving low beams.

Driving High Beams with the 55watt yellow bulbs.

garner7555

That looks good to me.     :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

68 RT

Looks good! Thanks for the pics!

JR

Wow, those look great. That is a lot of light.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

alfaitalia

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on April 05, 2017, 11:23:47 PM
OK. Have a slight issue with the pass side plastic clip that the little screws goes through. BUT, I was able to get them decently adjusted. Here are some pics. Anyone know where I can get those clips? I need 2.

20-30ft from the wall.

Driving low beams.

Driving High Beams with the 55watt yellow bulbs.

I will be surprised if you are not dazzling the other drivers....you need bespoke LED reflectors really.....those blobs of light that have bled over the cutoff line should not be there (they look bad/worse on the comparison shot against the wall in the garage - notice how there is next to none over the cutoff on the halogen side)....and would not be with reflectors designed for the job....if they exist for a Charger. LEDs give off light in a very different pattern to halogens or HIDs and as such each type of bulb needs a different type of reflector (or projector in the case of some LED bulbs and all HIDs.). Having said that I have seen light patterns with a lot worse (more) bleed over than those.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

mopar0166

when you get a chance can you post a link to the bulbs or conversion kit used id like to look into more thanks