News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Charger body measurements

Started by FrnkNsteen, March 09, 2017, 07:59:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrnkNsteen

Does anyone have or know where to find XYZ measurements for the Gen II bodies. My issue is I had a body guy start on redoing the body on my '69 SE. Well, for whatever reason, he cut off basically all the exterior body from the doors back, and only got the trunk floor and one outer wheelhouse in before he let me know that he wouldn't be able to continue because he and his wife were splitting up (He was doing it at his home shop).

I now have a new body guy working on trying to put everything back together, and understandably he is having difficulties because he wasn't the one who tore it apart. He mentioned how helpful it would be to have factory build specs for the bodies, or at least something that someone has put together when lining up the body panels.

So I'm turning to the Charger experts! Please let me know if you know of anything that will give body measurements that would help make sure we are getting everything lined up correctly, no matter how basic!

Thanks guys!
1969 Charger SE (Just starting the restoration)
1967 Barracuda Notchback

FrnkNsteen

After thought,..... Guess I should have posted this in the Paint & Body section.

Moderators,... feel free to move it if you want. I apologize!
1967 Barracuda Notchback

green69rt

Lennard

Don't know if this is what you mean?

FrnkNsteen

Thanks Green!

He said he bought the CD version of the 1969 service manual, but said he didn't see the information he was looking for. I have the paperback version at home. I will go look through it tonight and see if what he is looking for is in there.

Thank Lennard,.... I found something similar to what you posted and he said that might help. I will try to upload a couple I found online in case anyone else reading this needs them. I am at work though, so I am limited to how I can attach them (Photobucket gets blocked)
1967 Barracuda Notchback

FrnkNsteen

1967 Barracuda Notchback

Lennard

FrnkNsteen

Here is about what it looked like when the original guy bailed. Only progress after this picture was he started to put the floor pan in.
1967 Barracuda Notchback

Dino

Oh that's not bad. It won't take much to figure out the alignment on that.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

green69rt

Quote from: FrnkNsteen on March 09, 2017, 01:48:23 PM
Thanks Green!

He said he bought the CD version of the 1969 service manual, but said he didn't see the information he was looking for. I have the paperback version at home. I will go look through it tonight and see if what he is looking for is in there.

Thank Lennard,.... I found something similar to what you posted and he said that might help. I will try to upload a couple I found online in case anyone else reading this needs them. I am at work though, so I am limited to how I can attach them (Photobucket gets blocked)

Two things about the top view of the car.

1.  Car is 1/4 longer on one side vs the other???  Wonder why.
2. Dimensions are accurate to thousandths of an inch!   I was happy if I kept it to +/- 1/8".

FrnkNsteen

Yeah, I don't really understand the top view myself, or how they took the measurements. Just something I found online when searching for "Charger Body Measurements". It was on an Oregon General Lee blog page. Don't know what the rules are here about posting links to other sites or I'd post it.

I may be missing something, but I don't see where you say one side is ¼" longer, other than the arrows saying one side is 1/8" towards the nose and the other is 1/8" off towards the tail. But when you look at the angular measurements, there is only about a .125" difference between the measurements. Makes me think they were off by about 1/16" if you think that the trunk lid being off by 1/16" would cause an increase in measurement in one direction and a decrease in the other, adding up to a 1/8" difference between the two.

What I'm curious about on that drawings is the +/- tolerance written over the trunk. I'm assuming that is the variation or confidence in how he was measuring it. I browsed through the blog and didn't really see any explanation of this drawing other than him saying it looked like he had to move the quarters a little.

I don't know that he was measuring to three decimal places, or more likely that it is just the numerical representation of the fractions he got when measuring because it's easier to write.

.125 = 1/8"
.25 = 1/4"
.375 = 3/8"
.562(actually .5625") = 9/16"
.875 = 7/8"
.937(actually .9375") = 15/16"

See what I mean?
1967 Barracuda Notchback

green69rt

Quote from: FrnkNsteen on March 10, 2017, 01:50:10 PM
Yeah, I don't really understand the top view myself, or how they took the measurements. Just something I found online when searching for "Charger Body Measurements". It was on an Oregon General Lee blog page. Don't know what the rules are here about posting links to other sites or I'd post it.

I may be missing something, but I don't see where you say one side is ¼" longer, other than the arrows saying one side is 1/8" towards the nose and the other is 1/8" off towards the tail. But when you look at the angular measurements, there is only about a .125" difference between the measurements. Makes me think they were off by about 1/16" if you think that the trunk lid being off by 1/16" would cause an increase in measurement in one direction and a decrease in the other, adding up to a 1/8" difference between the two.

What I'm curious about on that drawings is the +/- tolerance written over the trunk. I'm assuming that is the variation or confidence in how he was measuring it. I browsed through the blog and didn't really see any explanation of this drawing other than him saying it looked like he had to move the quarters a little.

I don't know that he was measuring to three decimal places, or more likely that it is just the numerical representation of the fractions he got when measuring because it's easier to write.

.125 = 1/8"
.25 = 1/4"
.375 = 3/8"
.562(actually .5625") = 9/16"
.875 = 7/8"
.937(actually .9375") = 15/16"

See what I mean?

Yes, I see now.  I was just going by the arrows with 1/8" comments.  Still some of the comments don't make a lot of sense but it is the only such drawing that I've ever seen.