News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

where can I get a 68 Charger 383-4 power steering pump?

Started by triple_green, March 09, 2017, 09:14:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

May 68 build date, side bracket/bolts.

Thanks!

Mark
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

BLK 68 R/T

Bronzedodge

I have heard from a few mechanic friends that the quality of A1 Cardone is hit and miss.  Maybe NAPA? 

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/PNB381054
Mopar forever!

paironines

Are rebuild kits available for those pumps? I think i have a couple but im sure need rebuilt.

triple_green

apparently there is a nation-wide shortage of this part. Both NAPA and Summit have none. I am going to have to pay $250 on ebay or Y1...argh!!

tsmithae

I have one that came off my '70, I honestly don't k ow much about differences but can get you pictures and more info if you like. Worked when removed and I wasn't aware of any leaks.
Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

will

Steer and gear rebuilt mine. Maybe give them a call. 3 week turn around.

triple_green

Thanks guys! I just ordered one from Classic Industries (Year One). I was able to get 20%, but still very pricey.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks!
mark

triple_green

everything lined up except the shaft was 5/8" and the pulley my system uses is 11/16"...bummer!!

VegasCharger

Quote from: triple_green on March 15, 2017, 10:33:22 AM
Thanks guys! I just ordered one from Classic Industries (Year One). I was able to get 20%, but still very pricey.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks!
mark

That sucks that it was a different size.  :brickwall:

Did you get it from Classic Industries or Year One?

triple_green

Classic Industries... I thought they were the same.

triple_green

I still have been unable to find anything that works. We tried an adapter bracket we bought off ebay with two other pumps and wont fit. ANy ideas or know where I could find one? It is the TRW pump in the picture below. Thanks!

darbgnik

My car came with, and still has one of those federal pumps in it, as the drivetrain came out of a 67. I knew the Saginaw boxes were more common, but didn't realize these Federals were hard to get.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

Dragon Slayer

Federal and TRW are not the same.  And the TRW pump came in several sizes depending on body type.  Read a 67 or 68 service manual and it will fill you in, or go to moparts restoration and find my post.

The pulley shaft type between TRW and Federal are different as you found out.

In 69 they consolidated and you had 3 pressure variations of the FED 1.06 type and the .94 Saginaw type.  The TRW was no longer used.

You can adapt either to your application, but if your going for concourse rebuild your TRW.  If you do not have a TRW and need one, I may have one, but it would need rebuilding.

So what are you after?  

triple_green

Thanks for the info. My desire was to keep the TRW pump and have it rebuilt, but my mechanic said there was more wrong that just the seals and didn't think it could be rebuild effectively.

We called steerandgear 6 months ago and they said they didn't have any rebuilds and could not rebuild mine.

ANy help would be appreciated.  Also some where in this process the shop lost the reservoir cap too. So I'll need one of them.

Dragon Slayer

See what I can do.  The cap shown is a Federal cap which fits.  The TRW did not have ear on the cap from what I have seen.  That Napa post look like a TRW pump. 

hemi68charger

Quote from: triple_green on January 15, 2018, 09:37:28 PM
Thanks for the info. My desire was to keep the TRW pump and have it rebuilt, but my mechanic said there was more wrong that just the seals and didn't think it could be rebuild effectively.

We called steerandgear 6 months ago and they said they didn't have any rebuilds and could not rebuild mine.

ANy help would be appreciated.  Also some where in this process the shop lost the reservoir cap too. So I'll need one of them.

There is a shop here in Houston that rebuilds power steering gearbox and power steering pumps.. He rebuild the box for my 426 Hemi which is the Federal type.. I think it was about $125...

http://adcopower.net/

Give them a call and see if you can ship your pump there (usually quick turnaround ). I have never waited more than 2 to 4 days....  If they can't, you can ship to me and I'll take it there....

Let me know..
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

triple_green

Dragon Slayer

Here is a Trw Pump I pulled off shelf. Rotates freely, no rust inside can, or on internal assembly.  Can has a dent, and a chip on casting at bottom.  Pulley that was on pump.  Had Big Block Bracket on it.  If interest PM me and I can put you in touch with owner.  There were some other, that would need to be cleaned up and inspected.  This one was pretty clean to start. 

will

Is your pump the single bolt or two bolt pump? I have the two bolt set up. I sent everything to them when I had them rebuild my pump, I took it apart originally and had a devil of a time putting it back together. Runs flawless now that they rebuilt it. I tried different avenues like buying two different pumps and trying to make them work. After spending stupid money sending them my pump was the best money spent. I know it's pricey, but mine doesn't leak and runs fine.

triple_green

update and a thanks to all you helped me  here. I called the place Troy suggested and they say they can rebuild my pump, so that is an option.

I have connected with a local guy (thru Moparts) that has several and is willing to sell me one with seal kit done and repainted. I am going to go with him for new but he needed a week or two to finish then up.

I really want to get this resolved before spring/summer, I need to be able to get out on Pacific Raceways for that "parade lap" and not worry about my power steering binding up.

thanks again!

Mark

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?