News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Question on dutchman panel on Daytona Clone

Started by farm966, March 18, 2017, 12:40:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farm966

I am starting to cut the rust out of my 70 Charger on its way to being a Daytona clone with a Stinger nose, Dane wing and Vega plug. I have read I should use a third gen dutchman panel but I have a question, does the third gen dutchman go over and extend my existing panel or in place of? It is probably a silly question, if I had a third gen panel in front of me, but it hasn't arrived yet. My current panel is rusty and I didn't know if I need to replace it.
Thanks
David

DAY CLONA

Basically the 3rd Gen filler panel will be going in front  of your existing dutchman panel looking from the back of the car, Your going to add the 3rd gen panel to the Vega panel to create a trunk lip for it, you can either butt weld it to the bottom of the plug, or overlap the plugs edge to the upper edge/skin of the 3rd gen panel and weld it on the radius of the first turn down of the 3rd gen's upper skin. if you want some measurements of an original plug/trunk lid, they are 21 1/2" for the trunk lid measuring along the side of the lid, measure both sides at 21 1/2", make a paper template of the 3rd gen's radius/arch/bow (find center of all items being cut) so that you can transfer it to the top skin of the trunk lid, add approx 3/8" to the 21 1/2" trunk lid dimension so that you can turn down the front lip at 90 degrees like an original, or roll it 180 if you prefer after you install your trunk underside filler panel, regardless of whether your using a Vega plug or an original/repro plug, install the trunk lid first and get it functional, then trim down your 3 rd gen panel to fit the installed trunk lid, take into account the need for proper spacing for a gap between the Vega plug and the trunk lid front edge when all is installed, you'll need to trial fit the trimmed down plug to match the contour of the installed 3rd gen panel and trunk front edge, as well as the side C pillar profile, for a proper window location, you should have approx 12"-12 1/2" from the bottom of the widow opening (center of window), measuring on the top skin, to the trunk lid front gap/edge, you'll need to fab a filler piece for the top of your Vega plug to the top of the Charger roof area

Mike  

farm966

I appreciate the information and I will follow your advice. I have attached a picture of my ducthman panel that has some serious rust. Since this piece will no longer support the back window, do I need to replace it or just cut out the rust and weld in a new piece of metal? Thanks!