News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Help me beak into my trunk.

Started by flyinlow, March 10, 2017, 06:41:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinlow

Running an errand with the '73 today. After opening the trunk the lock cylinder felt loose. I checked the jam nut and it was loose. I hand tightened it. The key would not pull out of the lock, so I left the trunk key in the cylinder and closed deck without locking it. On the drive home it locked. (should have bungeed the deck with a rag on top of the latch catch)

I am thinking my son might fit thru the back seat if I can in unbolt the spare. 

If I remember , the lock bar sticks thru the latch enough to twist it with pliers from inside?

Daytona R/T SE

Get a long piece of 1/2" square steel bar.

Stick the appropriate size 1/2" drive socket on one end. (Secured with some masking tape )

Clamp a vise grip pliers on the other end.

Remove back seat upper cushion.

Reach through the trunk with the socket end and unbolt the latch.

Lots of sharp sheet metal to have someone crawl past to get to the latch. :Twocents:

XH29N0G

Quote from: flyinlow on March 10, 2017, 06:41:12 PM

I am thinking my son might fit thru the back seat if I can in unbolt the spare. 

Your comment brings back a fuzzy memory of my dad pulling out the back seat to get to the lock in the trunk of either the 1970 charger I have now or the 1960 valliant he had just before it.  I don't remember if he sent one of us through to the trunk.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Kern Dog

I once bought a 74 Duster from a guy...Car sat in a field for years. NO keys. I pulled the rear seat and slid through with a long screwdriver. As I looked UP, I saw a live, active HORNETS nest in one of the rear speakers. I S L O W L Y squeezed out after popping the latch!

flyinlow

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 10, 2017, 06:56:05 PM

Stick the appropriate size 1/2" drive socket on one end. (Secured with some masking tape )

Lots of sharp sheet metal to have someone crawl past to get to the latch. :Twocents:

Great idea, trunk open now.

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: flyinlow on March 11, 2017, 02:17:02 PM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 10, 2017, 06:56:05 PM

Great idea, trunk open now.

:cheers: