News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ramcharger hood operation question

Started by AKcharger, March 12, 2017, 03:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I had no idea this hood would be such a pain in the neck!! OK here's the latest after I replace the bad (NEW) switch the hood isn't working, and it just ain't makin' sense to me...here's what I got

1) Right off the manifold at Idle 18lbs of VAC, if I hook the manifold hose directly to the "open side of the door actuator, it opens right up normally

2) After going through the can, switch, all the hoses and back to the actuator it drops 17lbs and will not open the door, rev it up to 20 lbs and nope still doesn't open

Now I know the basic physics that the hose off the manifold is a big bigger so I have some more volume, but why wouldn't it would the way it's supposed to with the factory hoses???

AKcharger

Well a year and a half is enough time to screw with this, I made it electrically controlled.
- Eliminated Trouble prone Vac Switch
- Replaced with a R/W defogger switch looks identical and fits in dash the same
- Moved the elect. vacuum solenoid to the engine bay. I cut the bottom of the accumulator canister and "hid" it in there
- So now Full vacuum goes to switch when I turn it on it ports vac to the "door open" side when I turn it off the original return string is more than adequate to close the door...works great should have did this to begin with!

alfaitalia

Very neat solution. I'm going to similar a DIY electrical system for my headlight doors.....they will still open slowly as if vacuum powered due to the stepper motors I'm using. Similar problems...just not reliable and that added to lack of parts in the UK meant it was the only way to go for me.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

CDN72SE

Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm still trying to figure out what parts I am missing and how I am going to get it all to work.
1972 Charger SE

AKcharger

Quote from: CDN72SE on October 13, 2017, 12:50:11 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I'm still trying to figure out what parts I am missing and how I am going to get it all to work.

I fixed the other Ramcharger hood thread...trust me just go the electric solenoid route, works, is cheep and will save a LOT of aggravation

CDN72SE

I think I will go your route and I will go back and check your other thread.  :2thumbs:
1972 Charger SE