News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

got my new stealth head's ordered today!!

Started by 69wannabe, March 14, 2017, 08:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69wannabe

I have been contemplating on doing a head swap on my 493 ci stroker big block for awhile and finally pulled the trigger on them. Got the regular stealth head's ordered and am having them sent to LaRoy engine's so they can do the prep on them and make them good so I won't have any problem's with them. Spoke with Jim on the phone today and got the address to send them to and he is a super nice guy to deal with. Going to pull the engine soon and I figured it will be a good time to upgrade the old 346's up to a good set of aluminum heads. Hopefully gonna get rid of a pesky rear main seal leak too.....

Midnight_Rider

Good luck with the heads and the leak fix.

Hopefully you will post back here with updates? I'm sure there are others out here like myself who are trying to decide between ported Stealths and other options that would be curious to see how things turn out. Although, even though I'm new to Mopars, I've already figured out you've got someone with a great rep working on your heads, so I'm sure you'll be happy with the results.

justcruisin

I think the ported/unported stealth/sidewinder/edelbrock vs TF240's would be an interesting debate. Application/price.

PRH

Quote from: justcruisin on March 15, 2017, 02:07:11 PM
I think the ported/unported stealth/sidewinder/edelbrock vs TF240's would be an interesting debate. Application/price.

If you're starting from scratch, are looking for say........ 550hp+, and were planning on spending $1500-2000 for heads....... Then I feel the TF's are going to be at the top of the list.

If you're updating an existing build and are replacing the OE heads, and already have arp head bolts, pushrods, etc, and are looking for no more than 575-600hp........ Then one of the other options may make more sense.
And if the target hp is even lower, like 525-550hp, then the cheaper heads start to look more attractive.
Another thing might be that the 78cc chamber of the TF head doesn't work out for an existing build, which can also lead you to look at one of the other options.

The way I see it is, you have to be under about $1600 "all in" with one of the other options for them to even be a consideration(for a new build with a 550hp+ target), so that doesn't allow for much tweaking and porting of something like an rpm before the scales start tipping towards the TF heads.

Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

Eldovert

I think you will be happy with Jim.
Pays to have someone that has a clue to go over those heads.
Jim's son is an ace "porter" and has done numerous sets of stealths.
TF's are nice but the stealths are the only heads that look stock when painted..if that is important to you.
Cheers,Pat

69wannabe

I am basically adding to a previous build, I like the stealth heads because of the the spark plugs are straight and not angled and they can be painted to look like iron heads. I'm not looking for 700 hp here just like to get around 550 hp or so out of it. Been planning on this for awhile and lately we have been very busy at work putting in alot of overtime so I figured now is the time to splurge since I can afford it for a change and getting my taxes back helped out too.  ;D

69wannabe

Quote from: Eldovert on March 15, 2017, 05:41:20 PM
I think you will be happy with Jim.
Pays to have someone that has a clue to go over those heads.
Jim's son is an ace "porter" and has done numerous sets of stealths.
TF's are nice but the stealths are the only heads that look stock when painted..if that is important to you.
Cheers,Pat

I had asked Bob (challenger 340) about doing some heads and I didn't realize he is not in the states so he recommended Jim. Jim sent me some flow numbers and gave me a good quote for a "street prep" job and that's exactly what I was looking for. I know these guys with a great reputation stay covered up and I am very glad he told me to send them on to them. He said to give him a month or so on them and that's fine with me cause it's been cold as crap here for the last few days and looking to be that way for the next week or so and I don't operate too good in the cold!! It's kinda hard to find someone these days that know's the mopar heads and will do a good job on them like Jim and Bob. There isn't anybody around here that does any custom head work that I know of besides just normal head and block work. Just reading some of the failure's of the heads it is just smart to let the professional's fix them up right the first time.

justcruisin

I already have the eddys - OOTB on a current engine - zero deck SRP/K1 448ci. I don't live in the US and the prices I have been quoted for port and valve work make the TF/s attractive when I can offset the costs by passing the current heads and bolts on. I have an adjustable set up now but would like to upgrade to a solid cam and maybe a better rocker. The only thing is as Dwayne said the 78cc's is a concern and would put me at 10.8 static.

69wannabe

Quote from: justcruisin on March 15, 2017, 07:28:57 PM
I already have the eddys - OOTB on a current engine - zero deck SRP/K1 448ci. I don't live in the US and the prices I have been quoted for port and valve work make the TF/s attractive when I can offset the costs by passing the current heads and bolts on. I have an adjustable set up now but would like to upgrade to a solid cam and maybe a better rocker. The only thing is as Dwayne said the 78cc's is a concern and would put me at 10.8 static.

78cc's would put me up there close to 11 to 1 I think so my best bet was staying with the stealths so my compression will be right at 10 to 1.

BSB67

Quote from: 69wannabe on March 15, 2017, 09:13:27 PM
Quote from: justcruisin on March 15, 2017, 07:28:57 PM

78cc's would put me up there close to 11 to 1 I think so my best bet was staying with the stealths so my compression will be right at 10 to 1.

The Stealths are advertised at 80 cc, the TF at 78cc.  2 cc will not change your CR a full point.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Midnight_Rider

http://www.csgnetwork.com/compcalc.html

Check this out. Maybe there are better compression ratio calculators out there, if so I'm sure someone will point you in a better direction. But this should give you an idea, assuming you know the values to input.

comet_666

I got 580 HP / 667 TQ out of my un-ported eddys.   :Twocents:

BSB67

Quote from: Midnight_Rider on March 16, 2017, 10:17:32 AM

Check this out. Maybe there are better compression ratio calculators out there, if so I'm sure someone will point you in a better direction. But this should give you an idea, assuming you know the values to input.

Using your calculator, I came up with 0.2 difference.  So, if you have 10.0:1 with Stealths, you'll have 10.2:1 with TF

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

69wannabe

Quote from: BSB67 on March 16, 2017, 06:57:22 PM
Quote from: Midnight_Rider on March 16, 2017, 10:17:32 AM

Jim said most of the stealth heads are about 82 or 83 cc and not the actual 80 cc that is advertised. He said he can dink them to make them all even and to make them all about 84 cc which would make my compression right at 10 to 1 according to the piston's.  The TF's look to be a good set and if I was trying to get all I could get from this engine that would be the route to go but i'm just wanting an improvement over my cast iron heads. Not drag racing here just cruising and have always wanted to say I have aluminum heads on my engine. Should be in the 550 hp range and that's all I was aiming for when I built this engine and I feel like the 346's are holing my hp numbers back a little bit so these well prepped stealth's should flow much better that the old one's and run cooler and maybe I can pull my timing up a couple more degrees too!!

Using your calculator, I came up with 0.2 difference.  So, if you have 10.0:1 with Stealths, you'll have 10.2:1 with TF

justcruisin

.1 per cc is what I get - my engine is 10.2 with the 84cc eddy's - dropping on the TF's I would go to 10.8 (roughly).  Maybe to high for pump fuel with a street friendly cam.

BSB67

Quote from: justcruisin on March 16, 2017, 11:32:24 PM
.1 per cc is what I get

This is a pretty good rule of thumb in this compression ratio range.  The Stealths seem to usually come in at 82.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

bee1971

How do the Stealth Heads compare with these - Pricing is about the same with free shipping at Summit

75cc version

Looking to install one or the other on my 383 Magnum using stock factory components like rockers/valve covers etc

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/cylinder-heads/chrysler/e-street-bb.shtml

BSB67

I would got with the smaller combustion chamber as I suspect that your CR is not good.  Everything else is about a toss-up

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

69wannabe

Quote from: BSB67 on March 17, 2017, 04:53:24 PM
I would got with the smaller combustion chamber as I suspect that your CR is not good.  Everything else is about a toss-up
Pistons are rated at 10 to 1 with an 84 cc chamber. As long as i'm in the upper 9's should be plenty. Either way it will be better that the 88cc's that are on there now and they work really good

BSB67

For me, if I'm already spending the money, why leave power on the table?  Getting 10:1 in a 383 can be a challenge.  Be sure to go with actual measurements verses "ratings".  383s need all the help they can get.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 69wannabe on March 17, 2017, 08:43:21 PM
Quote from: BSB67 on March 17, 2017, 04:53:24 PM
Pistons are rated at 10 to 1 with an 84 cc chamber. As long as i'm in the upper 9's should be plenty. Either way it will be better that the 88cc's that are on there now and they work really good

What is the part number of the piston

bee1971

Quote from: BSB67 on March 18, 2017, 07:17:12 AM
For me, if I'm already spending the money, why leave power on the table?  Getting 10:1 in a 383 can be a challenge.  Be sure to go with actual measurements verses "ratings".  383s need all the help they can get.

I think there is some confusion from the original poster about you answering my thread

And then you answering my question about the Edelbrock Heads and 75 cc chamber versus the Stealth Heads with my 383 Magnum

My bad

PRH

A std bore 383 with a zero deck piston that has no valve reliefs, a .040 gasket and 75cc heads is just over 10:1.

IMO, the Ede 75cc E-steet is the head to use on a 383 if you're trying to get any compression without buying custom pistons.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

69wannabe

Quote from: BSB67 on March 18, 2017, 07:17:12 AM
For me, if I'm already spending the money, why leave power on the table?  Getting 10:1 in a 383 can be a challenge.  Be sure to go with actual measurements verses "ratings".  383s need all the help they can get.

I'm running a 493 RB stroker engine. I'm not sure where 383 came from on this thread. The part number of the diamond pistons are 52415 and according to my sheet they have a -13cc dish. Lots of the 440 source dish pistons are -17cc dish. The reason I didn't go with flattop piston is because I didn't want 11 to 1 in a driver. Jim said I should be at 10 to 1 with the piston's and when he get's done with the heads.

BSB67

Quote from: bee1971 on March 17, 2017, 10:06:36 AM
How do the Stealth Heads compare with these - Pricing is about the same with free shipping at Summit

75cc version

Looking to install one or the other on my 383 Magnum using stock factory components like rockers/valve covers etc

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/mc/cylinder-heads/chrysler/e-street-bb.shtml

11.68 @ 120.2 mph