News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

General question about HP of a stock 400 4bbl 73 charger

Started by rollo1504, March 15, 2017, 10:00:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollo1504

Hey guys!

As some of you already noticed I am trying to get my new baby fired up for the first time (see stupid questions in other sections)....

I am questioning myself how much HP my baby actually would have.... as I am still a newbie to this business I would like to ask you guys how my HP my baby would have more or less with following setup as soon as everything works as it should (fuel pressure, carb adjusted, vacuum proper)

I have a 73 charger not tuned as far as I know

400 big block
4 bbl holley 4160 carb list number 1850-9 (Secondary Vacuum)
Weiland intake manifold
Standard mechanical fuel pump

I really don't know if the car has 100 HP or 300 HP or 150 HP?

Just interested in knowing it....

Thanks for your answers

Cheers

Roland

c00nhunterjoe

New, about 250 flywheel hp. Today, probably closer to 200 depending on the age and who has been inside it over the years. Depending o  your plans, the 400 block is a great candidate for a mild stroker. It has the largest stock bore of any chrysler.

flyinlow

A whopping 260 HP at 4600 rpm !  Net figure as used 1972 and after.  A buddy had a '72 with a 400 Magnum (40 years ago). We killed the EGR valve and bumped the timing up. It went something like 15.7 / 86 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Did decent burn outs on Kelly G60-15 Supercharger tires.  O.K. enough reliving my youth.

Do some tuning , add a good sounding exhaust and start driving. it won't be that fast ,but the "cool" factor of an older Charger is hard to beat.

rollo1504

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 15, 2017, 11:27:21 AM
New, about 250 flywheel hp. Today, probably closer to 200 depending on the age and who has been inside it over the years. Depending o  your plans, the 400 block is a great candidate for a mild stroker. It has the largest stock bore of any chrysler.

I was thinking about this to do it later but sounds good....

How many HP is a "mild" stroker?

rollo1504

Quote from: flyinlow on March 15, 2017, 01:14:27 PM
A whopping 260 HP at 4600 rpm !  Net figure as used 1972 and after.  A buddy had a '72 with a 400 Magnum (40 years ago). We killed the EGR valve and bumped the timing up. It went something like 15.7 / 86 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Did decent burn outs on Kelly G60-15 Supercharger tires.  O.K. enough reliving my youth.

Do some tuning , add a good sounding exhaust and start driving. it won't be that fast ,but the "cool" factor of an older Charger is hard to beat.

A good Sounding exhaust will be added for sure  :2thumbs: and I will do some tuning also for sure but first I want to start to drive around ... Just gathering information for the future  :D

By the way... What is the "EGR valve"?

Roland

rollo1504

Could find out by myself what the EGR valve is...

Thanks though

;D :angel:

XH29N0G

Quote from: rollo1504 on March 15, 2017, 01:33:25 PM

I was thinking about this to do it later but sounds good....

How many HP is a "mild" stroker?

Look at proven engine combos.  The key is not the numbers and actually torque is more what you will sense than HP. 

A lot can be done without changing the stroke.  (If you want to see what you can do, you should ask for specific parameters (can do this, etc... or will cost only this much....) and people here can advise.  They also may suggest things other than the engine.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

flyinlow

Exhaust gas recirculation valve. It opens under certain conditions and ports exhaust gases into the intake manifold. This would dilute the intake charge , reducing peak combustion temperatures  which can reduce the engines oxide of nitrogen emissions.  The valve would be bolted to the intake manifold with a vacuum line running from diaphragm on the valve to a port on the carb.

I don't know if your aftermarket intake has one.

BSB67

New, about 250 flywheel hp. Today, probably closer to 200 depending on the age and who has been inside it over the years.

This.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

BSB67

Quote from: flyinlow on March 15, 2017, 01:14:27 PM
It went something like 15.7 / 86 mph in the 1/4 mile.

86 mph in a B Body is something like 185 net actual hp, probably 220 to 240 gross corrected hp (typical engine dyno numbers), depending on the atmospheric conditions.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

Kern Dog