News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

QUESTIONS AND ADVICES FOR 70´CHARGER RT

Started by jluisfelipe, March 15, 2017, 12:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jluisfelipe

Hello friends, I´m starting to restore my manual 70´Charger RT  :icon_smile_big: and I will begin with the body work, but before doing that, I will buy suspension, brakes, wheels and tires, so I can check everything fits before painting...
I will buy:
* Frame connectors and mini tub kit
* Hotchkis TVS suspension system for a better road behaviour, here´s the link: http://www.hotchkis.net/product/1970-mopar-b-body-hotchkis-tvs-total-vehicle-system-hotchkis-sport-suspension/
* Wheels will be 15" Torq Thrust II (probably 275/60/15 rear and 245/60/15 front)

I also want to improve brakes, so questions are...what brakes do you suggest me (they must fit with the wheels size)? Do you think I should purchase any other product? Do you agree with my "recipe"? Any advice will be very helpfull!

Kern Dog

It looks pretty good to me, Felipe.
The Hotchkis stuff is great and well designed. It takes what the Dodge already has and makes it better.  These cars handle pretty good with a stock type suspension with the right upgrades to heavy duty parts.
Even a simple front disc/rear drum setup is a great improvement over 4 wheel drums. There are 11" front disc kits out there for around $450 and most are complete with everything except brake fluid.

darbgnik

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 15, 2017, 01:39:26 PM
It looks pretty good to me, Felipe.
The Hotchkis stuff is great and well designed. It takes what the Dodge already has and makes it better.  These cars handle pretty good with a stock type suspension with the right upgrades to heavy duty parts.
Even a simple front disc/rear drum setup is a great improvement over 4 wheel drums. There are 11" front disc kits out there for around $450 and most are complete with everything except brake fluid.

Agreed. If you're just after consistent repeatable stopping, not trying to make the car a road course warrior, front 11" discs  will do the trick. There are factory style conversions, as well as pieced together out of modern equipment kits(Dr. Diff comes to mind) available. Just decide what you want it to look like when it's done.
Brad

1970 Charger 500. Born a 318, AC, console auto, now 440/727
Build thread:  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127291.0.html

jluisfelipe

Thanks for your reply. Dr. Diff looks very good. Any other brand you could recommend me? I would like something in the middle range of Brembo and stock. Very good stop, but must respect classic look and fit with the 15" wheels.

invincibleextremes

In the middle range of brembo and stock?  Your wheel choices are severely limiting your brakes.  Stock is literally all you can do.  A lot of guys have been going with my conversion brackets but they are using 17 inch or bigger wheels.
There's some good factory 11 inch style disc brake setups out there that will work OK though.