News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona Kit

Started by Ryan.C, March 15, 2017, 02:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan.C

http://www.ebay.com/itm/69-DODGE-CHARGER-DAYTONA-CONVERSION-KIT-/282008534929

Any feedback on this kit? Is it a quality kit? If you have used it would you use it again? Is the plug steel? Is the wing Aluminum or fiberglass?
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

71_Charger_R/T

Someone else will probably have first hand experience, but, to me,  it looks to ALL be glass with the exception of some of the bracketry.  :Twocents:

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

birdsandbees

NOTE THEIR LISTING!!! You DO NOT get everything in the picture!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

held1823

They are Ted Janak parts. Not his premium stuff, but likely still better than most other "brands" out there
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

A383Wing

that is Janak's kit.....most all is 'glass....I bought his kit back in the mid 90's....very poor quality, had to massage every part he sent me....some even arrived damaged and he would not take care of it at all

and yea, you don't get everything in the picture....rear plug and lexan rear window are not included

superbirdrag

I have his superbird kit from the 90's on my satellite, no problems, I think everyone who buys it expects it to fit perfect, mine never but it wasn't a problem to make it, I am just a backyard mech,I have learned body work as I have to.
The Daytona kit , I just ordered it. They are his cheaper line. His better quality line , I was priced at $8800. I can't afford it. I guess I will find out what he calls lower quality.
It does not come with some of the parts and I expect to have to make the parts fit. I am not putting the rear window plug in yet. When I do I will probably go metal ,that will come when I restore the whole car. It does have the wing and all the nose pieces. You will need the wing washers and the supports, plus the metal bumper brkts.
I don't know what stinger parts are like. My friend used showcars parts and I know my bird parts were better, that was all ten years ago. If you check with me in a month I should have his parts.

XS29L9B2

no probleme with my daytona kit  :popcrn: very good man and very good communication
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

70 sublime

Quote from: superbirdrag on March 16, 2017, 12:58:58 AM
I have his superbird kit from the 90's on my satellite, no problems, I think everyone who buys it expects it to fit perfect, mine never but it wasn't a problem to make it, I am just a backyard mech,I have learned body work as I have to.
The Daytona kit , I just ordered it. They are his cheaper line. His better quality line , I was priced at $8800. I can't afford it. I guess I will find out what he calls lower quality.
It does not come with some of the parts and I expect to have to make the parts fit. I am not putting the rear window plug in yet. When I do I will probably go metal ,that will come when I restore the whole car. It does have the wing and all the nose pieces. You will need the wing washers and the supports, plus the metal bumper brkts.
I don't know what stinger parts are like. My friend used showcars parts and I know my bird parts were better, that was all ten years ago. If you check with me in a month I should have his parts.

Still trying to decide what I am going to do for a nose cone

Was the $8800 Canadian or US funds ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

farm966

I used Show Cars for my Superbird clone, what a big mistake that was. I have Stinger parts for the Daytona clone that I am working on with a Dane wing. I will say the Stinger parts are better quality than Show Cars in my opinion, a lot easier to deal with and honest. I waited over 6 months for the Show Cars stuff, pratically had the threaten to fly north of the border to come get my stuff as I sent most of the money up front (I know, dumb move, but I got a story that he needed cash to finish my parts and I was much younger and dumber). When I recevied the parts, it looked like the cardboard box had been sat on the floor and just rolled several times to get the plastic around it instead of rolling the plastic around the box. Every part had to be reworked by my body man so what money I thought I was saving actually turned into a loss. Lesson learned.

dave14

Ive got show cars bird parts and i absolutely( dont )recomend them Im not sure if it will take a bodyman or magician to make them work Rob is a theif and doesnt care about quality will not refund a dime and sells parts made by others as his own ...... like the glastek bird hood  I saw that was damaged  from shipping  that he repaired then shipped again....

My first bird nose top edge was shaped to fit a charger ! Imagine my surprise trying to mock that up on coronet fenders ... Ive also had 3 wings from him and the last one isnt good either but I gave up  getting anything good from their . Show cars is about 120 km away from me and Ive seen Rob many times over these issues and short of kicking his ass you still arent going to get anything decent there
,once he has your $$$ and he gives you something you really have no recourse with him in making it right hes a real favourite with the better business buraux

A383Wing

yea, stay far away from Show Cars parts......

ernie

I have used janaks parts in the past his higher quality stuff is well made and fits well it all looks good and works good when properly assembled, properly finished painted etc Danes wing is very nice of course but wasn't available as it is today when I was building my cars, the last car I did was very high quality car I use all Janak parts except for steel z brackets and stainless a pillar mounding byberic johnson mike Goethe also did my steel headlamp buckets sold for almost 100k so nice car

Ryan.C

Thanks for all the replies guys :2thumbs:

Sounds like the way to go is to use Janek's higher end parts and use a "danes" wing. What is a danes wing?

held1823

Quote from: superbirdrag on March 16, 2017, 12:58:58 AM

His better quality line , I was priced at $8800. I can't afford it. I guess I will find out what he calls lower quality.
It does not come with some of the parts and I expect to have to make the parts fit. I am not putting the rear window plug in yet.  It does have the wing and all the nose pieces. You will need the wing washers and the supports, plus the metal bumper brkts.

assuming you bought pretty much what is in the $2400 ebay package?

The kit in this auction consist of the following parts:

Nose cone, trim ring, front spoiler, basic headlight kit, Z brackets, latch tray, lower valence, fender scoops, and the wing.

can you share if the price is any better off of ebay?

any chance you have the price sheets for the items, or does he price them depending on what and how much is bought? mainly curious what makes the better stuff worth over 3x as much. i need all of the front end pieces, but not the wing.

mike,  i'd be VERY interested in prices on all of the front end stuff from you.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

farm966

Quote from: Ryan.C on March 16, 2017, 09:01:34 PM

Sounds like the way to go is to use Janek's higher end parts and use a "danes" wing. What is a danes wing?

Dane is the gentleman's name that sells an aluminum wing for Daytona's. I beleive his screen name on this site is Daytona Guy, if you search for him on this forum and send him a message he will get back with you. Great guy, great product.

Ryan.C

Quote from: farm966 on March 17, 2017, 07:33:21 AM
Quote from: Ryan.C on March 16, 2017, 09:01:34 PM

Dane is the gentleman's name that sells an aluminum wing for Daytona's. I beleive his screen name on this site is Daytona Guy, if you search for him on this forum and send him a message he will get back with you. Great guy, great product.

Thanks for the info!

superbirdrag

The price is in u.s. Dollars . $8800 is arround the 13 grand Canadian mark. The eBay kit  does not include the metal bumper brkts, the rear window plug ,the wing washers , the wing braces. I had  my own metal bumper brackets made by a machinist almost exact to superbird.

P.s you can get the electric motor for the headlights  off a 1980s car like a lebaron

superbirdrag

I don't have a price sheet . The kit is the same price as eBay. I got the grill screen ,the wing washer and the wing bracket added for $390 extra. He will give you all the prices if you call.

superbirdrag

My order was received march 3/17 . So if he is on time the parts should be ready to ship the 24th, in five days.

superbirdrag

Today April 8th i received my Daytona parts from Janak. Looks like its missing a few parts , not sure why, waiting for his reply to my email. The parts are his econo line . They seem a little thinner than the higher line bird parts i bought in 2000. The finish on them is definitely not as nice. But at half the price I have no complaints yet.

superbirdrag

Does anyone have the measurement on how to cut and bend the charger front fenders for my Daytona build ?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: superbirdrag on April 10, 2017, 03:16:25 PM
Does anyone have the measurement on how to cut and bend the charger front fenders for my Daytona build ?

If you already have the front valance from Janak for the Daytona, use that as your template, your going to follow the natural curve of the lower section of the 70 Charger fender minus the lower dog leg, leave a healthy 1" so you can dolly over to create a continuous flange on the bottom of the fender, if you make a template of the curve needed, you can make 2 plates of thick steel/aluminum, place one behind the fender lip to be formed, and the other on the outer skin, you then clamp thru the side marker light and wheel opening of the fender with a few clamps and squeeze the metal templates together, exposing just the flange that needs to be rolled over 90 degrees, use a body hammer and hammer over the edge, the clamped templated pieces act as a dolly and mini metal brake at the same time giving you a sharp professional curved edge to match the valance mounting flange you templated off of ....

Fold on the RED line, CUT on the blue line

DAY CLONA

So when your done it looks like this...........Your only modding the area between the red vertical lines, see how it follows the fender's natural lower front contour, use the valance to create a template

Mike