News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Radiator storage

Started by mopar4don, March 16, 2017, 09:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopar4don

I just purchased an original 26" radiator that came out of a 69 Charger, and I was wondering how to store it until it will get installed into my resto?
(It could be a few years)
Would it be best to run a hose from inlet to outlet (better chance that air would escape with this method) and then fill it with a 50/50 antifreeze mix.

If I don't fill it with antifreeze will the air and what ever corrosion has started make it worse?

Thanks

68 RT

I just store them dry, cover up openings so mice cant get in. If the core has corrosion in it I would get it cleaned or re cored before using it.

matrout76

cut pieces of cardboard that fit inside the tanks and lay flat against the fins on both sides. Then i'd wrap some shrink-wrap around it to hold them in place.

Then, set all of this in a cardboard box and tape it closed.  You might be able to get a bike box from walmart and cut it down to size.

Thats how my radiator is stored :2thumbs:

mopar4don

Thanks guys, I was just a bit concerned about the air getting to it an corroding the internals

CDN72SE

Quote from: matrout76 on March 16, 2017, 12:53:37 PM
cut pieces of cardboard that fit inside the tanks and lay flat against the fins on both sides. Then i'd wrap some shrink-wrap around it to hold them in place.

Then, set all of this in a cardboard box and tape it closed.  You might be able to get a bike box from walmart and cut it down to size.

Thats how my radiator is stored :2thumbs:

That's a good tip, mines been getting banged around all the time.
1972 Charger SE

justcruisin

If it's a second hand radiator that looks good but of un-known history I would definitely have it cleaned and pressure tested immediately prior to install. Covering and blocking the inlet/outlet in the mean time is good advice. Keeping it full of coolant is also a good idea, used radiators can crust up when left dry if they haven't been looked after with proper coolant and scheduled changes. But if you have it cleaned prior to fitting, dry should be fine.