News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

If you were buying a NON numbers 68 Charger ??

Started by Highbanked Hauler, March 17, 2017, 09:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

in  rebuilt condition  which would you rather have, a 4 spd or an automatic ?  Its going to be a 360 and I have most of the parts to do either an 833  or a 904 with a manual valve body.. My intention is to finish the car and drive it for a couple of years then probably sell it..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Chad L. Magee

If it was originally a 4-speed in a 1968 Charger, then it was either an RT or one of the rare 383 combos (383-4 bbl., 4-speed 259 were made, 383-2bbl., 4-speed 74 were made).  Either one is worth more than an similar engine, automatic transmission version Charger, even if it is not numbers matching...

Now, if you are talking an automatic Charger that has been converted to a 4-speed vs. one that was left as an automatic, that is a good question.  I would suggest that the 4-speed would have more potential buyers.  That is because there are many who want to make a Bullitt Charger RT clone with the 4-speed.  (Real original Black Charger RTs with 4-speeds are quite rare to find, as I am sure that you know.)  However, there are some car buyers who will only drive automatics, many of them in the younger generations.  They simply were not taught how to drive a manual stick shift.  It may get to the point that the only 4-speeds that people will see will be in museums one day....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

alfaitalia

..complete opposite to this country where all the youngster drive stick ....and they mostly think autos are for the old or lazy!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

303 Mopar

I converted mine from an auto column to a 4 speed.  Completely changed the thrill of driving my car.  4 speed all the way!   :cheers:
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

Troy

If you were just selling then 4-speed all the way. If you want to drive it then how much do you like driving a 4-speed? All but one of mine is a factory 4-speed or converted so that explains my choice. I can tell you that if I were a buyer, I'd certainly pay a lot more for a big block 4-speed than I would a 360/904.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Lighthorseman

I'd say that what matters is what YOU enjoy the most.  Build it for YOU....not what you think the next owner might want.

...and I'm with 303Mopar and Troy.  I'm converting my column auto to a pistol-grip 4-speed.

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Troy on March 17, 2017, 11:55:22 AM
If you were just selling then 4-speed all the way. If you want to drive it then how much do you like driving a 4-speed? All but one of mine is a factory 4-speed or converted so that explains my choice. I can tell you that if I were a buyer, I'd certainly pay a lot more for a big block 4-speed than I would a 360/904.

Troy

My 500 is a 4 spd. car and I personally have put 87,000 on it so a 4 spd. is not problem for me. My 68 WAS going to be a 500 replica with a race gas or alcohol 440 for running track laps BUT the rust factor was way worse than I thought which brings me to the rebuild part and I have all the necessary stuff to put it back as a 68 with a good running 360 so its either get a flex plate or a weighted flywheel...
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

Troy

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on March 17, 2017, 01:32:39 PM
Quote from: Troy on March 17, 2017, 11:55:22 AM

Troy

My 500 is a 4 spd. car and I personally have put 87,000 on it so a 4 spd. is not problem for me. My 68 WAS going to be a 500 replica with a race gas or alcohol 440 for running track laps BUT the rust factor was way worse than I thought which brings me to the rebuild part and I have all the necessary stuff to put it back as a 68 with a good running 360 so its either get a flex plate or a weighted flywheel...
Then 4-speed. Fun now and more cash when you sell!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Mike DC

Quote..complete opposite to this country where all the youngster drive stick ....and they mostly think autos are for the old or lazy!

It's not that we don't like manuals on fun roads.  But we spend most of our miles in this:

START / STOP / START / STOP / START / STOP / START / STOP / START / STOP / START / STOP

dual fours

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on March 17, 2017, 09:57:25 AM
However, there are some car buyers who will only drive automatics, many of them in the younger generations.  They simply were not taught how to drive a manual stick shift.  
If the younger generation had to shift gears, maybe they would not be using there hands/thumbs as much for Texting while driving :slap:.  
It this stage of my life I'd go with a 4 speed for fun.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: dual fours on March 17, 2017, 03:44:11 PM
Quote from: Chad L. Magee on March 17, 2017, 09:57:25 AM
However, there are some car buyers who will only drive automatics, many of them in the younger generations.  They simply were not taught how to drive a manual stick shift.  
If the younger generation had to shift gears, maybe they would not be using there hands/thumbs as much for Texting while driving :slap:.  
It this stage of my life I'd go with a 4 speed for fun.

I am surprised that automakers have not started advertising more push button transmission options for the texting generation drivers.  Or even a version controlled by your phone...
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Kern Dog

I am capable of driving anything...Cars, trucks, forklifts, tractors...Never drove a big Rig though.
I am well able to drive manual trans equipped vehicles, I just don't like them as much.

lloyd3

A stick allows one to fully utilize the torque of a big block. Depending on how you define "fun" you can make lots of noise and smoke if you're so inclined.