News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oil pooling on top of valley pan

Started by XH29N0G, March 18, 2017, 09:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XH29N0G

I just noticed that I have oil pooling on top of the valley pan (B).  I am trying to figure out where it is coming from.  I put a little periscope camera under the manifold and thought I saw evidence for drips coming from the back part where the valley pan seals at the end, but also from the middle part of one side of the intake.  It does not seem to make sense that I should have a leak coming from the middle of the intake manifold.  I was planning to focus on either end, but thought I would post a quick question to see if I may be missing something.

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

RallyeMike

Any way you slice it, the way to fix it is to remove the intake and reseal the valley pan. So as Nike says, just do it  :2thumbs:
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

XH29N0G

Or maybe it protects us. 

c00nhunterjoe

And if its not already, replace it with the egr block off pan

Kern Dog

Use a Fel Pro 1214 for 383/400 or a 1215 for 413/440. They have the crossover blocked off.
The oil may be coming from the intake bolts. They have to be coated with a sealant since they thread into holes that pass right into the lifter valley area. Blow by, oil splashing.....it looks for places to escape.

Sixtyeight

Hi,

I once had a needle point little hole in the middle of the valley pan that created the same problem...

Jeroen.

Charger Registration of the Netherlands / www.charger.nl
1968 R/T Charger
1969 Base Charger

XH29N0G

Thanks everyone,  Another quick question.  I should have mentioned that I have Edelbrock heads.  I don't recall if any of the bolts on those made it through to oil passages.  If someone knows that they do or don't, I would appreciate the information.

Or maybe it protects us. 

John_Kunkel

Quote from: Sixtyeight on March 19, 2017, 06:33:39 AM
I once had a needle point little hole in the middle of the valley pan that created the same problem...

Yep, not uncommon to see tiny cracks in the reinforcing ribs in the valley pan....especially if you're building any crankcase pressure.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

BSB67

Quote from: XH29N0G on March 19, 2017, 07:03:13 AM
Thanks everyone,  Another quick question.  I should have mentioned that I have Edelbrock heads.  I don't recall if any of the bolts on those made it through to oil passages.  If someone knows that they do or don't, I would appreciate the information.

no. but they are most or all through holes.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

A383Wing

I thought the intake holes on the Eddy heads were all blind holes?