News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Rear Defog switch

Started by Hemidog, March 19, 2017, 03:58:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hemidog

On a 68, can I use a 2 speed wiper switch for the rear defog, or are they unique?
It looks similar on the pictures I have seen...

Hemidog

Dans 68

Being that the rear defroster switch was a simple on and off switch, it should work if the 2-speed wiper switch is a physical match to the dash rear defroster switch opening. Have you tried a test fit yet?

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

BLK 68 R/T

Sitting here thinking the emergency flasher switch might work better. Isn't it just a 2 prong switch  :shruggy:

Charger-Bodie

Rear defog switch is two speed. I have a functioning set up in my 68
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Dans 68

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on March 28, 2017, 08:09:08 PM
Rear defog switch is two speed. I have a functioning set up in my 68

Right you are! I went to my '68 to confirm. By the looks of it a 2-speed wiper or headlight switch are the same, and would work.

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

Charger-Bodie

It has 3 spades on the back
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Hemidog

Well, I decided to check it myself. You can indeed use a 2-speed wiper switch to work the rear defog fan :)
The switch has 6 spades, but you can use 3 of them (P-12v, A-Low, F1-Hi).

Now for the bad news, the switch itself does not fit the rear defog hole on the instrument cluster :( The "bolt-pattern" is different, it has 2 holes on 1 side, like the hazard switch).

Does anyone know if the rear defog switch was used on other applications/ other functions, or is it unique, and therefore almost impossible to find?

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Hemidog

The one you've linked to could be easier to modify, but it would cost as much as some other auctions with the correct switch, where the bracket is only on 1 side with 2 holes.