News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Should I expend in a 742 third member or in a Dana 60 whole axle?

Started by lucascosta21, March 20, 2017, 08:35:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucascosta21

the smaller stem is not what USUALLY breaks, the ring gear teeth is what gives up. gear deflection !!
[/quote]

My doubt remains. If I look for a manufacturer which build a ring and pinion with a special forged steel (more resistant material), for example. Would my 741 support my 440 4-spd?

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: lucascosta21 on March 28, 2017, 07:39:48 PM
the smaller stem is not what USUALLY breaks, the ring gear teeth is what gives up. gear deflection !!

My doubt remains. If I look for a manufacturer which build a ring and pinion with a special forged steel (more resistant material), for example. Would my 741 support my 440 4-spd?

[/quote]

Yes, if it isnt run on sticky tires....

lucascosta21

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 28, 2017, 08:03:20 PM
Quote from: lucascosta21 on March 28, 2017, 07:39:48 PM

Yes, if it isnt run on sticky tires....
[/quote]

It's a 275x60 in the rear and 255 in the front

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Kern Dog

It is not just a matter of the size of the tire but also the tread compound.
If you plan to beat on the car, why not default to what the factory did? If you leave the line easy and just hammer on it from a roll, you will probably be fine with the 8 3/4" setup.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 28, 2017, 11:41:49 PM
It is not just a matter of the size of the tire but also the tread compound.
If you plan to beat on the car, why not default to what the factory did? If you leave the line easy and just hammer on it from a roll, you will probably be fine with the 8 3/4" setup.

Yup, and then whats the point of a 4 speed if you are going to baby it?  :drive: