News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Purpose of steering column spacers?

Started by 68ChargerJMP, March 20, 2017, 09:40:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

68ChargerJMP

What is the purpose of the little white spacers that go on the mesh part of the steering column? Are they really needed? Thanks.

Bronzedodge

If you are in a head on collision, they are supposed to allow the column to slip as the shaft (plastic pins) and housing (mesh area at lower end) collapse.  Otherwise, it goes through your chest.  Supposedly.  Better than a non-collapsing column.   
Mopar forever!

Lennard

I don't know if they still sell them but I bought mine at the local Dodge dealer a couple years ago.

Kern Dog

They used them even after the cars were fitted with collapsible steering columns.

68ChargerJMP

gtx6970

Actually they are there to  allow the column to flex independently of the dash / firewall 

Mike DC

The columns have to be collapsible both ways.  Both the K-frame pushing back into the firewall, and the driver getting thrown forward & whacking the steering wheel.

68ChargerJMP

Do they just aid in the ability of the column to collapse without getting snagged on the outer column shroud or what? Basically , it looks to just be there to keep the shaft and the outer column separated. Yes?

68ChargerJMP

Never mind, the post near the top states that very thing. Carry on, I'll go back to sleep.