News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RED COIL WIRE BOOT ON SIX BARREL SUPERBIRDS??

Started by Mopar John, March 20, 2017, 11:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

Recently I found a link to an article in HOT ROD magazine written by Mopar expert Frank Badelson.
It was an article on original 440, 440 SIX BARREL and HEMI engine details.
My reading came to a quick halt when I read " ALL 69 1/2 and 70 SIX BARREL engines should have red coil wire boots on the distributor cap end ". WOW!
So the next thing I did was to look through all the attached pictures to see if any showed this red boot?
I did find just one and have attached it to this post.
Does any one out there with a SIX BARREL SUPERBIRD have a red coil wire boot on their car or with an original set of wires?
MJ

odcics2

You need to find a vintage photo to verify...

:Twocents:

Even a black and white photo will have a shade difference in 'color' for you to determine this.

I know hemi cars had the reddish colored boot on them in 1970.
Hopefully, someone has a vintage pic to show ALL HIPO Mopars started out with that reddish boot, because I was told that by a guy that has a long history with MoPars. (lives in VA)   

When did this "red boot" thing start?  What engines?
What year did it finish? (when electronic ignition started perhaps?)   

This is interesting stuff... :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

johntpr

It should have that red boot. you can use SEM Color coat Napa red part # 15273 and spray that boot for a close match.

odcics2

Quote from: johntpr on March 20, 2017, 02:25:10 PM
It should have that red boot. you can use SEM Color coat Napa red part # 15273 and spray that boot for a close match.

What would a real one be worth to a guy that puts his car in concurs shows?
Do they pull the wire to see if it's just painted or real?  :shruggy:

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mopar John on March 20, 2017, 11:13:11 AM
Recently I found a link to an article in HOT ROD magazine written by Mopar expert Frank Badelson.
My reading came to a quick halt when I read " ALL 69 1/2 and 70 SIX BARREL engines should have red coil wire boots on the distributor cap end ". WOW!
So the next thing I did was to look through all the attached pictures to see if any showed this red boot?
Does any one out there with a SIX BARREL SUPERBIRD have a red coil wire boot on their car or with an original set of wires?
MJ

My 6BBL Bird has it....Hemi's should have it as well....my 69 Hemi -X has it. Not sure about other engines. Sometimes you have to pull the boot and look inside to see that it is indeed red.

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 21, 2017, 09:03:43 AM
Quote from: Mopar John on March 20, 2017, 11:13:11 AM
MJ

My 6BBL Bird has it....Hemi's should have it as well....my 69 Hemi -X has it. Not sure about other engines. Sometimes you have to pull the boot and look inside to see that it is indeed red.
Jim,
Could you post some pictures of your 6 BBL and HEMI engines with the red coil wire boots when you get a chance?
Thanks! MJ

Mopar John

So now I had my eye out for a red coil wire boot for the distributor cap.
I came upon some Mopar coil wire boots orange in color for the coil end.
I picked up a few just in case these would come up at some point?
The first picture shows a full display card of these.
The second picture is a close up of one that I bought.
Almost the right color but the step in the middle is way different than the ones for the cap.
MJ

Dave Kanofsky

Any idea why it is different than the rest of the wires?
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

hemi68charger

Ah heck !!!! Now I have to make sure SOMETHING else is correct for my Superbird and Daytona......  :rofl:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

It is only red on the distributor end of the coil wire. I will see if if can get a good pic or two.

Mopar John

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 22, 2017, 11:09:17 AM
It is only red on the distributor end of the coil wire. I will see if if can get a good pic or two.
Thanks Jim!
I would like to see pictures of a real world example!
So once I started looking for a red boot I was looking for pictures and any information I could find.
The bottom line is that there is not much out there.
I did run across a specialty ignition wire manufacturer and bought a couple of his red distributor cap boots.
I have attached a picture of one.
Not bad in color but too long on the wire end.
Still looking!
MJ

odcics2

I believe the color is a reddish/purple, at least when they were new.
Also hear that they ran between 68 to 72 on HiPo engines only.

hemigeno

Mopar John

Thanks for the great picture Gene!
I assume that is a picture of your Daytona by the date code on the wires.
So now I need two of these boots one for the Superbird and another for the Daytona. :brickwall:
MJ

hemigeno

John, I wouldn't lose any sleep over finding one for your Daytona.  Jim McCauley's F5 Daytona (pretty original as you know) has what appears to be a black boot, as do a couple of other fairly original cars I just checked my pics for confirmation... although I admittedly couldn't read the date codes on their plug wires in the photos I checked - so they may have been replaced during a tuneup sometime in those cars' past.

I would not argue the point (at least on a '68-9 model) either way, but it's a cool detail to add if you can scrounge one up - especially for your 'Bird.

Mopar John

Quote from: hemigeno on March 22, 2017, 04:28:25 PM
John, I wouldn't lose any sleep over finding one for your Daytona.  Jim McCauley's F5 Daytona (pretty original as you know) has what appears to be a black boot, as do a couple of other fairly original cars I just checked my pics for confirmation... although I admittedly couldn't read the date codes on their plug wires in the photos I checked - so they may have been replaced during a tuneup sometime in those cars' past.

I would not argue the point (at least on a '68-9 model) either way, but it's a cool detail to add if you can scrounge one up - especially for your 'Bird.

Thanks for the quick follow up Gene!
MJ

Davtona

Quote from: johntpr on March 20, 2017, 02:25:10 PM

That's cheating!  :smilielol: :smilielol:

Quote from: Mopar John on March 22, 2017, 03:36:30 PM
Thanks for the great picture Gene!
I assume that is a picture of your Daytona by the date code on the wires.
So now I need two of these boots one for the Superbird and another for the Daytona. :brickwall:
MJ

Here is a shot of a NOS one I have tucked away for the Hemi car. I don't think the 69 auto's used this boot John. I was under the impression it was a dual point distributor only thing in 69. Which would include 4 speed 440's, Hemis & Six Packs in 69 & 70. If they were used on single point distributors I guess it goes on the Daytona.

A12 Superbee

The A12 boys tell me the red cap was not uniformly on Lynch Road A12's.

May have been a supplier thing and popped up now and again at other plants but not a "this is a six pack car, it must have a red coil plug on it" kinda thing, not at Lynch Road anyway.
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

odcics2

Davtona - What's the date code on the wire in the photo?  

John - Looks like you will have to research YOUR car to see if it had one from the factory. Until you know for sure, maybe just leave it black and end the sleepless nights!     
p.s. I have an under hood photo that shows the #88 at Chelsea testing with a 2 4bbl. street hemi in it! It has street wires on it. (they are black)  IT HAS THE RED BOOT, too!   

Mopar John

Thanks for all the replies and info!
Unfortunately I am now more confused than ever on this red boot detail?
I would be nice if it was used on the late 69 and 70 dual point distributors only.
Could this have been an assembly line item that told the workers a 6 BBL and or a HEMI needed a longer coil wire?
But with yes and no at the same plant it makes this tough!
I hope others continue to read this post and more information comes out.
Like Greg says we need photos of original cars with the red boots even if they are black and white photos.
MJ

maxwellwedge

John, I wouldn't lose any sleep over finding one for your Daytona.  Jim McCauley's F5 Daytona (pretty original as you know) has what appears to be a black boot, as do a couple of other fairly original cars I just checked my pics for confirmation... although I admittedly couldn't read the date codes on their plug wires in the photos I checked - so they may have been replaced during a tuneup sometime in those cars' past.

I thought the same on my Bird - which still has its original wires. But....they do darken... and I could not see that it was red until I pulled it off and looked inside.

hemigeno

Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 23, 2017, 09:08:03 AM

I thought the same on my Bird - which still has its original wires. But....they do darken... and I could not see that it was red until I pulled it off and looked inside.

Yeah, from your earlier comment it seemed like that was a possibility (hence the "appears to be a black boot" qualifier above).  Your 'Bird is probably the best resource to check for a detail like this.   :2thumbs: 

BTW, Happy Birthday Jim!  :cheers: 

Davtona

Quote from: odcics2 on March 23, 2017, 07:33:43 AM
Davtona - What's the date code on the wire in the photo?  

John - Looks like you will have to research YOUR car to see if it had one from the factory. Until you know for sure, maybe just leave it black and end the sleepless nights!     

I'll check the date tonight and post.

How is a person to research such a thing on their car. Once the original wires are gone there is not much to research that I can see. Its not like paint markings and such which are more permanent. Without day one or early on photos I'm not sure how to verify this.

69DAYTONASE

'69 A12 cars didn't have a red boot, period! :slap:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

johntpr