News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RED COIL WIRE BOOT ON SIX BARREL SUPERBIRDS??

Started by Mopar John, March 20, 2017, 11:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Wingwalker

I'm sure my 69 S/P Bee had a red boot!

Yeh deffo, it was red all over... :smilielol: (Boot is trunk in UK) :scratchchin:

The level of detail you Guys/Gals strive to achieve is mind boggling indeed! :2thumbs:
Full engine color exhaust manifolds look AWFUL though.
Much prefer them in grey...
Fixed headlights 500's are the FIRST Aero's, and the rarest!

odcics2

Most of the paint on the manifolds burns off.  :Twocents:

A12 Superbee

Quote from: johntpr on March 23, 2017, 09:43:13 AM
Quote from: 69DAYTONASE on March 23, 2017, 09:38:51 AM
'69 A12 cars didn't have a red boot, period! :slap:

I disagree

Well mate, you would be wrong. I've asked the question of the A12 guru's and there are no examples or evidence of the red booted coil plug being used at Lynch Road on the A-12's.

Moving right along.... :cheers:
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

Davtona

Quote from: Davtona on March 23, 2017, 09:34:09 AM

Quote from: odcics2 on March 23, 2017, 07:33:43 AM
Davtona - What's the date code on the wire in the photo?  

John - Looks like you will have to research YOUR car to see if it had one from the factory. Until you know for sure, maybe just leave it black and end the sleepless nights!     

I'll check the date tonight and post.

How is a person to research such a thing on their car. Once the original wires are gone there is not much to research that I can see. Its not like paint markings and such which are more permanent. Without day one or early on photos I'm not sure how to verify this.

Ok here is a shot of the wire with the date code. I never paid any attention to the wire's date code until you asked. But it appears to go way back as the early vintage lettering on the package would indicate. There is a original A12 car a few miles from me. Been stored for a long time. I may have to swing by this weekend and see what color boot is on it.  :scratchchin:

Anyway back to my previous question:

How is a person to research such a thing on their car. Once the original wires are gone there is not much to research that I can see. Its not like paint markings and such which are more permanent. Without day one or early on photos I'm not sure how to verify this.  :shruggy:

A12 Superbee

The only way it can be researched in the absence of factory data, with color photo's and survivor cars.

No red boots on survivor A12's, inc cars that are still in the hands of their original owners.

Best to focus now on 1970 and see if a trend can be identified.
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

maxwellwedge

A12 Pic from magazine article....this is a really good shot.......you can even see the yellow script and the date 1 Q-69..............while this engine is  slightly modified......much originality can be seen........coil......red dist lead end......choke and  gold bolts holding it.......blue ballast res to coil wire, s-clip on vacuum hose etc.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: A12 Superbee on March 23, 2017, 06:05:17 PM
Quote from: johntpr on March 23, 2017, 09:43:13 AM
Quote from: 69DAYTONASE on March 23, 2017, 09:38:51 AM
'69 A12 cars didn't have a red boot, period! :slap:

I disagree

Well mate, you would be wrong. I've asked the question of the A12 guru's and there are no examples or evidence of the red booted coil plug being used at Lynch Road on the A-12's.

Moving right along.... :cheers:

Who would these A12 Guru's be? I learned a long time ago to never paint myself in a corner concerning these old cars. No one has seen them all and variations exist based on vendors, parts availability etc.

maxwellwedge

Quote from: hemigeno on March 23, 2017, 09:27:32 AM
Quote from: maxwellwedge on March 23, 2017, 09:08:03 AM
Quote from: hemigeno on March 22, 2017, 04:28:25 PM
John, I wouldn't lose any sleep over finding one for your Daytona.  Jim McCauley's F5 Daytona (pretty original as you know) has what appears to be a black boot, as do a couple of other fairly original cars I just checked my pics for confirmation... although I admittedly couldn't read the date codes on their plug wires in the photos I checked - so they may have been replaced during a tuneup sometime in those cars' past.

I would not argue the point (at least on a '68-9 model) either way, but it's a cool detail to add if you can scrounge one up - especially for your 'Bird.

:Twocents:

I thought the same on my Bird - which still has its original wires. But....they do darken... and I could not see that it was red until I pulled it off and looked inside.

Yeah, from your earlier comment it seemed like that was a possibility (hence the "appears to be a black boot" qualifier above).  Your 'Bird is probably the best resource to check for a detail like this.   :2thumbs: 

BTW, Happy Birthday Jim!  :cheers: 

Thanks Geno!.....as I say every year....Not a lot smarter but another year old - Lol.

johntpr

Thanks for the back up Maxwellwedge. I was about to post the same photo.

odcics2

Hmmm, bent fuel tube also...
Everyone to the garage and bend yours to match it!   :coolgleamA:

Nice to see vintage proof.  :2thumbs:

maxwellwedge

10,000 mile 340 4spd dual point....Duster 340

odcics2

Davtona

Here we go more to fuel the fire boys.  :lol:  In the picture of the 69 parts book shown it lists the wire I have previously pictured (#2095775) as being for a 440 HP with a Prestolite distributor (4 speed cars) in all b bodies essentially. That pretty well covers the A12 cars also I would say. It also lists a Chrysler built distributor coil wire (single point) as a different part number #2095772. Interesting that all C bodies used the same wire as the 440 4 speed cars. Does anyone have a NOS #2095772 cable? I'd love to see the color of the boot on that one. I'm of the belief that single point / auto cars did not use the red boot.  :Twocents:

FJ5WING

Im not sure of anything since I didnt start documenting anything nearly early enough. The race car cant be considerd a good source, with the swapped out parts and additional parts its just not a good example.

Im willing to go with the 69's would also have the red coil wire but mostly just enjoying this thread.
wingless now, but still around.

Mopar John

Quote from: Davtona on March 24, 2017, 02:39:42 PM

Here we go more to fuel the fire boys.  :lol:  In the picture of the 69 parts book shown it lists the wire I have previously pictured (#2095775) as being for a 440 HP with a Prestolite distributor (4 speed cars) in all b bodies essentially. That pretty well covers the A12 cars also I would say. It also lists a Chrysler built distributor coil wire (single point) as a different part number #2095772. Interesting that all C bodies used the same wire as the 440 4 speed cars. Does anyone have a NOS #2095772 cable? I’d love to see the color of the boot on that one. I'm of the belief that single point / auto cars did not use the red boot.  :Twocents:

Dave,
First off thanks for the pictures and information!
But I have to disagree with part number 2095775 covering the A12 cars.
The reason being is that a 440 4BBL coil wire won't reach the coil all the way at the back of the intake on a 6BBL car!
I am curious if the parts book your using had any supplements for the late production 6BBL cars?
I went out to the shop and my 1969 coil wire parts book page looks the same as yours.
But when I got out my 1970/1971 book there is a new part number for the coil wire on 6BBL cars!
The part number is 2095777 and I wonder when it was issued?
I have attached a picture of my 1970/1971 coil wire parts book page.
MJ

held1823

what time frame gap existed between the a12 cars and the 1970 models?

i imagine the 1970 parts were already in production and perhaps sourced for the a12 models

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Davtona

Quote from: Mopar John on March 24, 2017, 06:17:57 PM

The reason being is that a 440 4BBL coil wire won't reach the coil all the way at the back of the intake on a 6BBL car!

Whoa I missed it on that one. :misbehaving:  Yes John good point. No my 69 book has no supplements. And my 70 book is same as yours. Ok we need a #2095777 wire so we can see what color the boot is.  :lol:   Interesting the 70 single 4 bbl engine uses the same number as the 69 440 with a single point dist.

62 Max

Quote from: Davtona on March 24, 2017, 07:28:27 PM
Quote from: Mopar John on March 24, 2017, 06:17:57 PM

Whoa I missed it on that one. :misbehaving:  Yes John good point. No my 69 book has no supplements. And my 70 book is same as yours. Ok we need a #2095777 wire so we can see what color the boot is.  :lol:   Interesting the 70 single 4 bbl engine uses the same number as the 69 440 with a single point dist.

Well for what it's worth,that is the same number coil wire that was on this and I still have one somewhere,I tend to keep things I don't need.

DoubleDlover

jesus christ... Next we are going to start taking dna tests to check the air in the fricking tires to see if it can be carbon dated to 1969.. LOL  god o mighty LOL   ok.. Now i will keep my eye open for red damm boots...

odcics2

Quote from: DoubleDlover on March 27, 2017, 03:16:53 AM
jesus christ... Next we are going to start taking dna tests to check the air in the fricking tires to see if it can be carbon dated to 1969.. LOL  god o mighty LOL   ok.. Now i will keep my eye open for red damm boots...

and these, too!   :yesnod:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,128087.0.html

:cheers:

Wingwalker

Hi DD and other Folks.

Yep I was feeling rather queasy when stripping down my C500.
An untouched 48 year old, super-rare Mopar.

Looking at all the original pieces and wondering 'how will I find' replacements, especially the RUBBERY BITS!
Think I saw an original C500/Daytona trunk seal for $500. :scratchchin:
Replacement radiator $1200... :eek2:
FM radio $1000... :eek2:

Then there is the Oilpump cover, at least they is only $50...

My Moparmate bought a real clever Book on original MOPAR FASTENERS!
Can I say BIBLE... :popcrn:

WW :patriot: :engel016:

maxwellwedge

Be careful of that book.....not 100% correct

Mopar John

I now have a NOS MOPAR coil wire distributor end red boot in my possession! WOW!
I had to buy a whole set of wires to get the boot but as rare as they are I felt is was worth it.
My first picture shows the NOS wire set with the red boot.
The second picture is a close up of the red boot only.
I still would like to see some pictures of original 6BBL Superbirds with them before I install it.
MJ

Wingwalker

NOS 69 Red Boot isn't doing it for me John!

How about this one??? :slap:

ww :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_dissapprove: