News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

RED COIL WIRE BOOT ON SIX BARREL SUPERBIRDS??

Started by Mopar John, March 20, 2017, 11:13:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

70Sbird

Quote from: Wingwalker on March 31, 2017, 01:46:41 PM
NOS 69 Red Boot isn't doing it for me John!

How about this one??? :slap:

ww :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_dissapprove:

That's a pretty Schmexy boot right there....... :drool5:

Scott Faulkner

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mopar John

Quote from: Wingwalker on March 31, 2017, 01:46:41 PM
NOS 69 Red Boot isn't doing it for me John!

How about this one??? :slap:

ww :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_dissapprove: :icon_smile_dissapprove:
Wingwalker,
I like that boot better also!
MJ

Arnie Cunningham

Hey All,
I scanned through the whole thread and may have missed it but does this unique boot have anything to do with the unique distributor cap that the 6 pack cars had?  The taller center terminal?

Distributor (6 pack auto) 2875 982 uses cap 2585 000
Distributor (6 pack manual) 3438 314 uses cap 2585 000
Distributor (4 barrel HP) 3438 222 uses cap 2444 507

Weird cap, weird wire, coincidence?
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

odcics2

I don't think so. One of the examples posted is a 340.

62 Max

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on March 31, 2017, 09:26:34 PM
Hey All,
I scanned through the whole thread and may have missed it but does this unique boot have anything to do with the unique distributor cap that the 6 pack cars had?  The taller center terminal?

Distributor (6 pack auto) 2875 982 uses cap 2585 000
Distributor (6 pack manual) 3438 314 uses cap 2585 000
Distributor (4 barrel HP) 3438 222 uses cap 2444 507

Weird cap, weird wire, coincidence?

The 3438222 is a single point Chrysler distributor with the 2444507 cap,the 2585000 was used only on the Prestolite dual point,both big and small block.The tan 2585000 started in 1966,the Prestolite prior was a black #!BK1003,number was on inside of cap.

Davtona

Quote from: odcics2 on April 01, 2017, 07:31:43 AM
I don't think so. One of the examples posted is a 340.

Yes but a 70 340 distributor can use the #2585000 cap. Distributor #3438521 is a for 70 340 Six Pack. All the 340 Six Packs used the Prestolite dual point distributor it appears to me. I think Arnie is correct in that it may have to do with the cap but that cap also only works on the prestolite dual point.  :Twocents:

62 Max

As above,there is only one cap for the Prestolite beginning in 1966,the 2585000,nothing else ! There are a bunch of after market but the 2585000 is the only original used by Chrysler.

AL66 Niehoff
A304 Delco
AL129 Echlin(Napa)
AL1290 Echlin(Napa)
C152 Borg Warner
AL122 Filko
3-35 motorcraft
AL135 Standard Ignition

Mopar John

Trying to find an original 2585000 cap with " MADE IN USA" is about as hard as finding the red boot we are discussing here!
MJ

moparnation74

Quote from: Mopar John on April 02, 2017, 08:34:10 AM
Trying to find an original 2585000 cap with " MADE IN USA" is about as hard as finding the red boot we are discussing here!
MJ
Is that the black cap?  I have a nice original....Somewhere in storage

62 Max

The black cap is 65 and earlier,the original Prestolite cap,both tan and black have the Prestolite IBK1003 part number molded inside,if that number is not there it is an after market cap.

odcics2

Great...
Now I need to go through my pile of NOS caps... :pushup:

Arnie Cunningham

A friend of mine has the 2585 000 new in the box.  It has a significantly taller center terminal.  My question is what the heck for?  I may have a photo somewhere of the different height.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

62 Max

Have three tan and two black,all N.O.S. all are identical in center terminal height.Have your friend check the IBK1003 number inside.

odcics2

Possible to have assy line parts vs NOS after the fact parts??   :shruggy:

Arnie Cunningham

I will check it out this week.  I have to take him a set of frame rails and other odds and ends.  Still looking for the photo I took.

Arnie Cunningham

Found it.  The angle isn't right to show how much taller the center terminal is than a normal non-six pack/hemi (dual point) piece.  I will see if I can get a shot of both the NOS cap I bought for my 4 bbl car and his six pack cap.

thehemikid

62 Max

Quote from: Arnie Cunningham on April 02, 2017, 12:06:56 PM
Found it.  The angle isn't right to show how much taller the center terminal is than a normal non-six pack/hemi (dual point) piece.  I will see if I can get a shot of both the NOS cap I bought for my 4 bbl car and his six pack cap.

From what I can determine,all Prestolite caps,tan and black have a 1 1/4" high terminal,being Hemi or sixpack has nothing to do with it ,the standard non Prestolite is about 1" being it is a completely different cap.I have some after market caps an they are all over the place except the Atlas.

odcics2

Taller center is for the spring inside, pushing the contact on the rotor. 

Arnie Cunningham

odcics2

Quote from: 62 Max on April 02, 2017, 10:20:39 AM
The black cap is 65 and earlier,the original Prestolite cap,both tan and black have the Prestolite IBK1003 part number molded inside,if that number is not there it is an after market cap.

My tan caps all have a black gasket on the bottom, to seal it to the distributor.   :Twocents:

Arnie Cunningham

I guess as long as we are on this subject, are there any identifying marks on an original 1969 or 1970 2444 507 tan cap for the single point distributor engines?

62 Max

Quote from: odcics2 on April 03, 2017, 07:11:28 PM
Quote from: 62 Max on April 02, 2017, 10:20:39 AM

My tan caps all have a black gasket on the bottom, to seal it to the distributor.   :Twocents:

They're probably Atlas.