News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Rear 11" drum brakes?

Started by rikubot, March 21, 2017, 06:22:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Hi guys.

Got some questions regarding rear brakes on a '69 Charger.

Currently I have 10"x 2 1/2" on my originally 383 base charger. I'm kinda doing an R/T clone type thing as far as components. I recently upgraded to 11" disc up front. A few questions:

Is it worth it to upgrade to 11" rear?

Should I be looking for 11" x 2 1/2" instead of 2"?

I read somewhere that R/Ts came with 11 x 2.5" rear factory. True?

Are the backing plates different for the 2.5" and 2"? I would think so...

My friend is trying to sell me a pair of backing plates for $100 for 11" off his '73 Scamp,
But I'm not sure if they are 2 or 2.5

Is it worth it? Where would I get the rest of the setup, and what would I be looking at cost?

Any advice or resources are very appreciated
- Mike
'69 Charger, 440/727

375instroke

You can find that stuff on mid-'70s vans with 9-1/4" differentials.  Bolts right on and super cheap.  I paid $14 a pair at the local Pull Your Part.  I know A-body 8-3/4 backing plates are unique to that body.  I don't know about the later years.

rikubot

Thank you for the information. If that's the case then these are definitely a no-go. And I'm still not sure to check if these are 2" wide or 2.5". But alas that wouldn't matter if they are different from b body
'69 Charger, 440/727

green69rt

I'm putting 10.5" drums on the rear of my R/T clone, discs on the front.  My original R/T had drums all around 3 1/2" front and 2 1/2" (I think) in the rear.  Wore out the fronts way before the backs so I would guess that most of the stopping action is in the front.  I would think that modern brake material (ceramic) would make the larger drums less necessary.  Still seems a good thing to do, just not a show stopper.   :shruggy:

375instroke

I think those 11" brakes came off another car, so they may work for you.  I only know that the earlier, small bolt pattern backing plates only fit A-bodies.  I only see up to 10X2-1/2" being the largest brakes offered in a Dart or Scamp on the Rock Auto site.

rikubot

I think you're right. He can't remember but now he says it may have come off a roadrunner. I went and checked them out tonight. I ended up buying them anyway, just to help him out more than anything. He'll let me sand blast em and I'll probably end up spray painting them and collecting the rest of the parts. The plates don't have a part number, but they say "719" on them. Any way I can be sure they are what I need for the upgrade?
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Also where would be a good place to find quality drums and pads for a decent price?
'69 Charger, 440/727

John_Kunkel

Here's how to ID the backing plates. Rockauto is a good source for brake parts and discount codes are readily available. (Current 5% discount code is 817709549C2C79)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

rikubot

That is extremely helpful! Thank you very much. I'm going to have to check them out tonight. Again thanks!
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

I picked up those backing plates. I read somewhere that there were also different 11" plates for small bolt pattern?? But I closed the window and can't find the thread now. This whole thing has me very confused. I don't really want to bother painting them until I'm sure they are the right ones. I can take pictures and measure things now. That picture you sent had me confused when talking about measuring for the pad width.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Finally found a way to measure them and it looks like they are the 2" wide version :brickwall:

I don't want to go through the trouble of getting the rest of the parts unless they are the 2.5. I might try to see if he will trade me out for something else...
'69 Charger, 440/727