News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Can't spin the wheels on my '72 340 Charger.

Started by Loa, March 21, 2017, 06:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loa

Hello,

I know that small blocks make most of their power at high RPM, but I just can't make the wheels spin on my '72 340 Charger. From standstill, if I apply the brakes and push on the gas, the engine stalls instead of revving up to spin the wheels.

Other than that the engine works fine, and the 650 Holley on it works like a charm (starts very easily, idle is rock solid at 850, responds very quickly to throttle...). I have 3.23 gears in the back. As soon as I get to 2500 rpm, the power surges up to 4500. And it makes a lot of power.

I've had the carb adjusted by a pro, so I'm wondering if it's an issue with the engine...

Thanks for any help.

Loa

c00nhunterjoe

To be blunt and straightforward, fire your pro. If it stalls when you apply throttle, its not adjusted right. More then likely its a severe lean bog, especially having a 650 on a 340. More details are needed though. What model 750, what distributor, base and total timing, specs on engine build to start

Loa

Hello,

I'm not sure what the exact Holley model I have, as the car is still buried under snow. I'm trying to get as much info as I can to fix this as soon as it thaws. It's all mechanical, and replaced an ailing quadrajet Thermoquad late last fall, so I'm not familiar with it yet. The engine only stalls when the brake is on: otherwise the car performs "normally".

As far as I know it's a stock '72 340, with stock distributor. The total timing is around 35*.

Loa

BSB67

Could you make the wheels spin before the carb change. 

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

crj1968

Quote from: Loa on March 21, 2017, 08:31:33 PM
The engine only stalls when the brake is on: otherwise the car performs "normally".

Loa

Power brakes?

Loa

Hello,

The original carb (quadrajet Thermoquad) was not working well, but the car couldn't spin the tires either.

Yes, there's power brakes.

Loa

Kern Dog

The original carburetor would have been a Carter ThermoQuad. The Quadrajet was made by Rochester and was not installed on any Mopar until the mid 80s.
It may have been on the car when you got it but it is not an original carburetor for that car.

Loa

Hello,

You're right, it was a thermoquad. I don't know why I called it a quadrajet.

Loa

John_Kunkel

Advice to those who can't spin the tires with a Torqueflite......Google "neutral drop".  :smilielol:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Loa

I haven't tried that, even though part of me was tempted!     :angel:

ws23rt

This is funny stuff.
In my 57 desoto I would bring the engine to valve float in neutral. Then punch the R button getting -one- tire smoking in reverse.  Next was to punch the L button.--Lots of smoke ;)

The trans. let me do this and a--(single)-- :icon_smile_wink: 95ft black strip lasted for a year in the high school parking lot. :nana:

c00nhunterjoe

Getting offtopic... but the point has been made. A single barrel 318 pickup truck will smoke a tire. You have a tuning issue.

Kern Dog

Maybe you can rig a hose to the windshield washer jug, run it back to point at the rear tires. Fill the jug with WD 40. Push the squirter button as you hammer the throttle and you'll surely smoke the tires then!
(Don't really do this)

Loa

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 23, 2017, 09:23:19 PM
You have a tuning issue.

If the engine is running great otherwise, I'm guessing that it's not simply an issue of adjusting the 2 screws. Could the jets be too small?

Thanks

XH29N0G

Loa,

I just reread your first post.  I assume this was all done.  but the following is what I would do.

I would make sure everything is OK with the ignition and timing.  This can mask issues with the carb.

Then I would adjust the idle mixture screws using a vacuum gauge.  I assume you have done this before, but if not we can point you in a direction to do this.

I would adjust the idle speed screw.

Then I would check the accelerator pumps to make sure they were working correctly - adding fuel as soon as the throttle linkage was touched.  Usually this means checking the full travel so it does not bottom out.

Then I would check it.  If there is a delay, backfire, or bog when mashing it from a roll at different speeds, there would be  some other adjustments. I see you do not have these, so I don't think that is an issue.  

Setting the main jets is something that requires either reading plugs or an A/F gauge.  

This is a vacuum secondary carburetor, right?

I do not know about the power brake issue, whether that could stop it.  I also have not tried to brake and burn out, but I do remember with my 70 (which had 383 4 bbl) that it was less likely to break the tires loose than my 69 350 2 bbl pontial.  The torque was probably similar, but there was a big difference in total power and total acceleration.  The 70 charger just stayed planted.  Once I got more power it broke loose. 

What tires do you have on the back?
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Loa

Hello,

Ignition, timing, idle mixture and idle speed screws were all checked and adjusted.

I'm not sure the accelerator pump was though. I'll check it as soon as the snow melts. :-)

It's mechanical secondary 650.

I have 275/60/15 BF Goodrich Radial TA on the back. Brand new.

Thanks for the help.

comet_666

Is it getting wide open throttle when you mash the gas?

Loa

Good question. I know I checked for my Challenger, but I don't think I did for the Charger. Then again, it reacts very promptly when I push the throttle, so if it's not going all the way, there isn't a lot missing.

But in any case, I can't even go wide open when I try to spin the tires: it bogs down before that.

Loa

comet_666

Loa

No, mechanical. I think the guy set them up to always open in sync with the throttle.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 23, 2017, 09:23:19 PM
You have a tuning issue.

Or some might say you have an insecurity issue. Who cares if it'll spin the tires?

HPP

3:23 aren't exactly steep and 340s don't make a ton of torque until higher in the powerband. Combine with a presumably stock torque convertor that is likely stalling at 1800 rpm, and no, you aren't spinning tires.

birdsandbees

I always thought the idea was to hook up and go !! Never much of an issue for me with my 2.94's !!!  :lol:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

c00nhunterjoe

It shouldnt bog and shut off, regardless of his torque output.

birdsandbees

1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

BSB67

Quote from: Loa on March 24, 2017, 12:53:00 PM
I think the guy set them up to always open in sync with the throttle.

You need to spend some time under the hood of your car, and do some reading.  If you don't want to do that, and if you are not wealthy, this hobby might not be a good fit for you.

Sorry for the brutal honesty.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

XH29N0G

I  wonder if the 275s and mechanical secondary are playing a part in this.  The BFGs aren't sticky but that is a fair amount of tire. 
The stalling is a puzzle because I would think the converter should let it spin a little, but I also wonder if you could end up just dumping too much gas in with the mechanical secondary and then too much air for the low RPM (too little gas would speed up the too much air part)- especially if your brakes stop you from going forward and your 275's stop it from spinning.  Just some thoughts.

I don't know if what I describe is possible.  I don't have an automatic so have not enough experience.  I had difficulty breaking 245's loose with my 383, but I didn't drop the clutch. 

The funny thing in all of this conversation is that I always thought I was lucky having the car stay planted and then did my best to return it that way when I had the engine warmed up.

Soon the snow will be gone. After that, food luck and have fun working through this.  These sorts of problems are always the most fun to try to solve and just plain think about. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

Loa

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on March 24, 2017, 04:47:23 PM
It shouldnt bog and shut off, regardless of his torque output.

That's why I'm concerned. Maybe a 72 340 with 3.23 can't make them spin 45 years later, but it shouldn't bog down.

Daytona R/T SE

Stock 318.

275/60/15 tires on the back.

One foot on the brake,

One on the gas.

Kern Dog

Hell yeah, man!  I LOVE to peel out. That stuff is fun!
Hammer the gas from a dead stop and feel the tail end float a bit to the right, feathering the pedal all the way through first, hit second and it is still rolling forward a bit sideways, lift and let it hook up at about 50-55 and straighten it out....
That is something that you don't get with ABS, traction control, FRONT wheel drive, minivans, 4wd trucks, etc. :2thumbs:

Loa

Quote from: XH29N0G on March 24, 2017, 05:39:45 PM
but I also wonder if you could end up just dumping too much gas in with the mechanical secondary and then too much air for the low RPM

Good point. I'll look it up. I got the car back (with new carb) just in time for the first snow storm last fall and haven't had time to see what the guy did.

Quote from: XH29N0G on March 24, 2017, 05:39:45 PM
Soon the snow will be gone. After that, food luck and have fun working through this.  These sorts of problems are always the most fun to try to solve and just plain think about. 

Indeed! I'm looking forward to finding the solution, but I wanted to get some advice in the mean time. Thanks.

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on March 24, 2017, 10:34:53 PM
Stock 318.

275/60/15 tires on the back.

One foot on the brake,

One on the gas.

Well, that confirms it: the carb needs to be adjusted. This is exactly what happens on my '70 340 Challenger, as simple as you describe.

Can't wait to get the Charger in good shape!

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 25, 2017, 12:10:57 AM
That is something that you don't get with ABS, traction control, FRONT wheel drive, minivans, 4wd trucks, etc. :2thumbs:

Amen!   :-D

Thanks for the inputs guys.

XH29N0G

Daytona RTSE, thanks for the picture.  Loa, it is clear some of my suggestions are clearly off base.  I will continue to put them out there in case they help, but it seems like the others here will be able to help put this straight. 

Or maybe it protects us. 

John_Kunkel

Hammer the gas from a dead stop and feel the tail end float a bit to the right, feathering the pedal all the way through first, hit second and it is still rolling forward a bit sideways, lift and let it hook up at about 50-55 and straighten it out....

That is something that you don't get with ABS, traction control,

Yeah, hook and go....the distinguishing feature of a REAL performance car, not the childish gyrations you describe. But then, I'm an adult so..............

c00nhunterjoe

For once, you can have your cake and eat it too in this situation. Smoke the tires and drag the bumper. Lol

Kern Dog

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 25, 2017, 03:38:26 PM

That is something that you don't get with ABS, traction control,

Yeah, hook and go....the distinguishing feature of a REAL performance car, not the childish gyrations you describe. But then, I'm an adult so..............
I've seen your cars and read your posts. Your life is fun to you? That is fine. I like what I like.  I enjoy getting a car sideways and holding it there at the edge of control. I can appreciate the "drag racer" mentality of your generation  where traction and acceleration results in a lower ET. Some people like me enjoy something different. I'm not talking about a standing burnout to generate smoke, I mean smoking the tires while moving. I'm sure the "sport" of drifting is lost on you.

sccachallenger

At some point, check the stall speed of the converter.
383 4 barrels and all 340s had very nice stock converters.
Somewhere in the last 40+ years yours may have been replaced with the wrong converter.
The right converter makes all the difference!
And I agree with others, check carb and ignition (and vacuum leaks) first.

Loa

Sccachallenger, it's very possible that the converter has been changed: I got this Charger for very cheap and I know that it has extensively been worked on, patched, rebuilt, etc... The front end is from a 74, the back end is from a 73 and the engine is a 72! :o  I don't care for number's matching or stock-originality at all, nor the resale value. I plan on getting this car in a good shape and drive it for pure pleasure.

I've found a simple method to roughly estimate the stall converter on the net (hold brakes and apply throttle to see where RPM will stop). Two questions: will that simple method be of any real use? and will it even work given the problem I'm trying to solve?

Thanks

c00nhunterjoe

With the current running condition of the engine, you will never be able to test stall speed since it coughs and stalls when attemlting to load the engine against it.

sccachallenger

Quote from: Loa on March 26, 2017, 07:48:25 AM
Sccachallenger, it's very possible that the converter has been changed: I got this Charger for very cheap and I know that it has extensively been worked on, patched, rebuilt, etc... The front end is from a 74, the back end is from a 73 and the engine is a 72! :o  I don't care for number's matching or stock-originality at all, nor the resale value. I plan on getting this car in a good shape and drive it for pure pleasure.

I've found a simple method to roughly estimate the stall converter on the net (hold brakes and apply throttle to see where RPM will stop). Two questions: will that simple method be of any real use? and will it even work given the problem I'm trying to solve?

Thanks
yes, that's the basic idea!
I've also heard putting the front bumper (gently) against a big tree or very solid wall is also a good plan if you can't hold it with the brakes.
And 'till you get it running better, you may not be able to do this.
There are numbers on the trans that can be used to see what it came from, or if the VIN pad is stamped,see if the number matches the VIN on the block.
The 340 transmissions had a governor set for higher rpm shifts when in drive.
But even if it matches, the converter may still have been changed.

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Loa

Hello,

Haven't got a chance to work on the carb yet. One of the brake cylinders burst on me and I've replaced both. I've bled the brakes in the rear but can't manage to bleed them properly in the front. I keep getting bubbles.

So I'll work on the carb when the brakes are fixed. Problem is that I can only work on the car outside (no garage) and it's been raining pretty much non stop!

Loa

brad mcintyre

I played with my 383 4bl for a month stalling out when you jump on it put on fuel regulator was getting to much gas and flooding out

Kern Dog

My Holley mechanical fuel pump seemed to be lagging, allowing fuel pressure to drop to zero sometimes when the engine was running hot. I switched to a Carter pump. It hovered at 11 PSI. I was told that was too high but the car ran great. Just to appease the doubts in my head, I added a regulator that is limited to 7 lbs, everything over that returns to the tank.

BSB67

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 03, 2017, 11:26:21 PM
My Holley mechanical fuel pump seemed to be lagging, allowing fuel pressure to drop to zero sometimes when the engine was running hot. I switched to a Carter pump. It hovered at 11 PSI. I was told that was too high but the car ran great. Just to appease the doubts in my head, I added a regulator that is limited to 7 lbs, everything over that returns to the tank.

FWIW, this is usually due to vapor lock.  A weak pump can be a contributing factor.

11.68 @ 120.2 mph