News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bleeding procedure for new power steering box?

Started by moparnole, March 22, 2017, 06:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moparnole

Hey guys, I just installed a new steering gear box on the 72 charger and I was curious if there was a correct procedure for bleeding the system? Its a quick, possibly dumb question, but enough stuff breaks on this car for me to risk hurting the power steering  ::) I appreciate any help!!

71charger_fan

I don't know what the recommended procedure is, but I've always just jacked the front wheels off the ground and turned the wheel lock to lock with the engine running.

moparnole

Ok, so just hook it up, top it off with fluid with the lid off, top it off and then the wheel back and forth? The rebuilt box came with a sheet of paper that makes a huge deal about making sure its bled, and I have a very good nack for messing things up ::)

375instroke

As long as there's fluid in the pump, and even if there isn't, I can't see how the box can be hurt.  Perhaps the pump if it's run dry, but the box really just sits there with 800psi of fluid going into it.  Turn the wheel slowly back and forth as to not foam the fluid, and it'll bleed itself.  Maybe they don't want someone starting it and instantly taking it for a drive with erratic steering due to air in the box still.   :Twocents:

garner7555

I do whats mentioned above.   I fill the reservoir, replace cap, start engine, turn the wheel both ways one time, then kill the engine,  remove cap on reservoir, let the foam settle, refill and repeat this process untill it stays full without any air bubbles.   If the air bubbles get bad then it can take 10-30 minutes for them to settle out so that you can get an accurate reading for full.      :2thumbs: 
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

redgum78

Quote from: 71charger_fan on March 22, 2017, 07:44:29 PM
I don't know what the recommended procedure is, but I've always just jacked the front wheels off the ground and turned the wheel lock to lock with the engine running.

:iagree:

alfaitalia

If I have no other reason to lift the car I just drive the front tyres onto two glossy magazines. As the sheets slide over each other the steering goes easily from lock to lock.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!