News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Upstate New York

Started by 69DAYTONASE, March 23, 2017, 10:22:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bakerhillpins

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on March 23, 2017, 10:42:27 AM
The same reason why some people in America still think we are fighting Native Americans on the great plains of Kansas like they see in Westerns.  It is called ignorance of the facts... :eek2:

Yes, I have actually been asked that by more than one person each from the NE area and from the west coast area...  :slap:

Idiocy and lack of education know no boundaries, your probably just not listening to your local contingent.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

69DAYTONASE

Quote from: Kern Dog on March 28, 2017, 11:38:58 PM
That is creative, I just call them burnouts, tweekers, fry-brain, idiot, Liberal jerkoff... :hah:

:smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol: :2thumbs:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

TeeWJay426

Former Upstate NY'er here as well....transplanted to southern NH now. Grew up in a little town called Richfield Springs, about 20 miles from Cooperstown. Lived in both Utica and Binghamton areas, am Syracuse University alum as well. Still miss a lot about the area, but will probably never live there again. Weather and taxes just suck.
74 Charger SE, 400 HP, 4-speed

69DAYTONASE

There is definitely nice things about upstate NY, Finger Lakes,Thousand Islands,Adirondacks...but the NYS Thruway west and Route 81S are getting pretty well worn out with all the exit traffic from people leaving due to the high taxes and bad weather. Most of the tax money goes to Albany & then down to NYC where it gets squandered. There is actually a plot that was unveiled on the part of downstate politicians to depopulate upstate so they can have it as their personal playground. This is a real documented thing, not just paranoia on my part. :shruggy:
If I didn't have to pay public school taxes I could buy a new car every 5 years. Instead our daily drivers are 10+ year old cars with 100k+miles on them. They sure know how to suck you dry in this state. Been very tempted to leave several times but Church ties and Wife's great job keep us here. I built our dream home here 12 years ago. Took 30 years to save up to do that.
It's hard to leave an area where your entire family history is going back to the 1600's. But in this state at this point you don't get ahead when you save money because the government is constantly coming up with ways to take your wealth from you by new "fees" or raising your property assessment which of course raises your public school taxes.
Every time a government entity does find a way to cut taxes another level of government figures out an immediate way to take it from you. It's a vicious cycle and the average person is the victim of it. :shruggy:

BrianShaughnessy

Been in Saugerties / mid-hudson valley since '82 working for HAL.     I'm here til the plane crashes err the toilet flushes for good.   After that I don't know. House is paid for and I have no real ties to anything.   I will die being from Detroit.

I enjoy the scenery here....  been hiking more lately than I did my whole life.   Clears my head.  Every area has good and bad points...  so does MI - not sure I'd ever go back there.  Not a fan of profuse sweating down south either....   :shruggy:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

will

As soon as Indian Point closes, I'm out! Thanks to andy. I hope the lights stay on. Think of my exit when the simpsons make fun of us on Sunday. Too bad my livelihood is a joke, but the lawyers got us. The company spent 200 million trying to re-license the plant, what do you think the state spent?

69DAYTONASE

Zero as usual! This has been hailed as one of the most unfriendly states to do business in for a long time. A lot of great old companies have been driven out of business here. Camillus Cutlery, Syracuse China, Chrysler/ New Process Gear, GM Plant, GE, Carrier is a shell of what it used to be, Lockheed was going to completely get out but Chuck stepped in and did a deal to keep them here(plus he threatened to sue them)....just to name a few. :shruggy:

Old Moparz

I like it here.   :cheers:

I was born in New York City & have lived in the metro area my whole life. If I can afford to stay here when I am old & feeble, I will. I like traveling around the country & there are others places I have seen that I could probably be comfortable living in but it all depends on my health & finances later in life.   :shruggy:

Where I am I don't consider it to be "upstate" as some do, it's just 60 miles north of NYC so I call it a suburb.
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

alfaitalia

I've never been to the States but will go before I check out...lots of places I want to see but NYC is high up the list.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!