News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1970 charger shell no vin

Started by Johnp, March 24, 2017, 06:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnp

Hey everyone
I've never started a discussion on here I normally just spend hours and hours normally reading the boards for all the info everyone has collected and to help point me in the right direction.  I know this is gonna be a sticky topic but I'd like anyone's input if they can help.  I have been working on restoring a 68 charger and I went to a junkyard in Palmyra PA (scheidlers autowrecking, mopar Marty is the owner) in search of parts, in the process I found there wasn't really much left but he had 3/4 of a 70 charger there.  Some has cut the front left 1/4 of from the middle of the cowl to the left  forward.  I was just going to cut it up for parts but I'm looking it over and seeing the original paint in the crevices I realized it was light poly blue( I think the colors called) with black vinyl top and white interior, a/c and it had a big block. Yea I know the cars pretty far gone but I keep thinking "this was a very beautiful car at one time", so I started looking into trying to figure out the vin number, I got the numbers off the trunk gutter and contacted don at the 70 charger registry and came up with about 6 possible combos the vin was.  Does anyone have the vin for this car on an old dash or just laying around in there toolbox?  Maybe a build sheet?  The numbers were 0G123099 any help you can give if greatly appreciate. If I can't find it I'll just end up looking at it for a while till I cut it up.  I know some people will think I'm nuts and this is a sticky topic, I already know I'm alittle crazy for even looking for it.  :P

crj1968

I don't think it's a sticky topic at all. It'd be great if you can save it....

If you think the car can be saved, you can get bill of sale from the junkyard owner and likely get a new state issued VIN for it.   :2thumbs:

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

6bblgt

which big block & full VIN should be easy to determine:
fuel lines - is there a return? = 440 & R/T ONLY
dual exhaust hangers under rear seat = 4bbl ONLY
upper door pads?

got pics?

charger_fan_4ever

Quote from: Johnp on March 24, 2017, 06:08:44 AM
  The numbers were 0G123099 any help you can give if greatly appreciate.

G code is 440 so its an r/t body.

6bblgt

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on March 24, 2017, 12:46:29 PM

:icon_smile_blackeye:

"G" is St Louis assembly - just like all the other '70 Chargers

Kern Dog

Really? All 1970 Chargers were built in St Louis?

crj1968

Need the letter before the "0" for the engine size.

Johnp

Hey guys thanks for all the replys.  I looked it only has one fuel line and it doesn't have the second exhaust hanger bolted to the floor on the left behind the rear seat area, so I guess it's a 383 2bbl car.  I only thought it was a big block because it has the wider radsupport.  Only BB came with that in 1970 correct?  Also I'm assuming since it's most likely a 2bbl it's not possible it's a charger 500 so that should make the vin XH29L0G123099?  Im trying to figure out how to shrink the pics to upload them and then I will

Alaskan_TA

318 cars with AC could also have a 26" radiator support, but I do not see one?

Same car? https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/pts/6050532187.html

hemi-hampton

From the Picture it looks more like 1/2 a car with whole front end gone. Post a pic from the front. If I had to guess if it was a bigblock most likely a Charger 500 XP.  LEON.

Johnp

Yes! That's my posting, it does have the front right there but I cut it at the puller and rocker because of how it's bent

Johnp

This does have the whole in the firewall for A/C air box so it might be a small block then ?

VegasCharger

Even if the "G" was the 5th character it would = 318 anyways and not 440.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: VegasCharger on March 24, 2017, 06:26:25 PM

Even if the "G" was the 5th character it would = 318 anyways and not 440.

I was going to say the same thing. It would have to be a U or a V or a R to be a R/T car. LEON.

Baldwinvette77

redgum78

Quote from: Johnp on March 24, 2017, 04:30:57 PM
Hey guys thanks for all the replys.  I looked it only has one fuel line and it doesn't have the second exhaust hanger bolted to the floor on the left behind the rear seat area, so I guess it's a 383 2bbl car.  I only thought it was a big block because it has the wider radsupport.  Only BB came with that in 1970 correct?  Also I'm assuming since it's most likely a 2bbl it's not possible it's a charger 500 so that should make the vin XH29L0G123099?  Im trying to figure out how to shrink the pics to upload them and then I will

Shrinking pics can be a bit of a pain. There are heaps of ways/programs to do it but I find Facebook messenger is quick and easy!
If you have Facebook just message the image to yourself then save it, Works a treat!

Bronzedodge

Hey, Racer John, is that you?   :icon_smile_big:
Mopar forever!

Johnp

Quote from: Baldwinvette77 on March 24, 2017, 09:47:37 PM
Whats the plan for it?  :popcrn:
Not sure yet, maybe put it back together maybe cut it up, i guess there's no way to figure out if it's a 383 2bbl or 318 car then since it was AC.

Quote from: Bronzedodge on March 25, 2017, 04:16:53 AM
Hey, Racer John, is that you?   :icon_smile_big:
Nope I'm not sure who that is

VegasCharger

Quote from: Johnp on March 25, 2017, 04:22:32 AM
https://flic.kr/p/Tb8uG3
https://flic.kr/p/TbcUPy
https://flic.kr/p/RZVaxv
https://flic.kr/p/SDVt89
https://flic.kr/p/SDVt6W

Here I'll post the pics in here for the DC community.

BTW if you end up with this Charger I have some clean SW frame rails.

:cheers:

Just 6T9 CHGR

I hope you didnt pay too much for it  :slap:

Really dont see much worth saving on that...even the package tray is crushed!
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Johnp

Hey vegas charger,  how did you make it so those pics pop up and they're not just links?
I paid $125.00 for it,  I thought that was a fair price
I think if I do anything with it, I know where there's another 70 charger that was rear ended but from the center of the roof forward and the rockers forward still good.   It's just a shell as well  but it will depend on how much I have to pay for it.   I have a 68 charger that I've Been restoring this would just be something for the future if I do anything with it other than use it for parts

cbrestorations

lukedukem

1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Dino

If you do part it out, I think I might be able to use that package tray despite its shape. Someone enlarged the speaker holes on mine and I'd like to get it back to what it once was. They're the same 69 to 70 right?

cbrestorations

you could take the front half of any 68-70 b body and have a charger again. roof structure is the same till the rear section. it could be restored but to what extent are you willing to go. you will need a chassis jig built off a good straight car. im gonna have to build one here soon to fix some of the junk i have

alfaitalia

That's (half) a parts car at best IMO.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Dino on March 25, 2017, 11:13:18 AM
If you do part it out, I think I might be able to use that package tray despite its shape. Someone enlarged the speaker holes on mine and I'd like to get it back to what it once was. They're the same 69 to 70 right?

Dino, I might have on for you. LEON.

Dino

Quote from: hemi-hampton on March 25, 2017, 12:20:17 PM
Quote from: Dino on March 25, 2017, 11:13:18 AM

Dino, I might have on for you. LEON.

Great! Keep me posted.   :cheers:

Johnp

It would be a pretty cool couch if you had a place big enough to put it.
Also just picture this, your telling your friends, " hey guys I just got this cool couch for the garage, but I need to put quarters on it..."

Johnp

I'll keep you guys posted if I decide to part it.  That's true any b body would work  specially if I found a cheap one.   I saw on 521 restorations website how he built that jig for that car, which seems like it be pretty useful to have but after I used it for this car I don't know if I'd have use for it and it be a shame to just cut it up.  I wonder how well building the base from wood 2x12s would work out that way it can be just unscrewed when all done

paironines

Any of you remember the yard swing made out of a Charger that was on the Internet many many years ago? Kinda looks like this car.