News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which big block do I build?

Started by GreenMachine, March 24, 2017, 01:48:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreenMachine

First off, will TTI 1 7/8" 440 B Body headers fit a 400? I realize they list them as different part numbers, but will they fit with just minor issues?

I have a 1968 440, 1978 440, and a 1978 400 all disassembled and all need bored oversize. I need to build an engine for a '68 Coronet with 3.23 gears. I want to build it as a daily driver. I want the 3.23 gears because I live about 20 miles to the nearest anything, so It'll be on interstates regularly.

My original plan was to build the '68 440 with a stroker kit from 440source and Trickflow heads. But then I got to thinking that It would be cheaper just to build a 451 with the '68 crank and the 400 block, or even just a rebuild of the '68 440. I've had a '72 Charger with a stock headed (452) 451 stroker and 4.10 gears that would do high 12's, but I want more with this build without having the low gears. Would the Trickflow heads make much of a difference with a cam mild enough for a daily driver in the 451 or 440?

I have a set of ceramic coated TTI 440 headers that I'd like to use, but I also have a set of Hooker Competition headers for 383-440 that I could also use.

So, would the 451 or 440 make me happy, or do I need the extra 50 CI to make the 3.23 gears seem like they're not slowing me down?

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

BSB67

Step 1 - Get very clear on what you want.
Step 2 - Get real clear on what your budget and schedule are.
Step 3 - Spend some time putting together the actual, all in cost of the three options you are considering.
Step 4 - Revisit Steps 1 and 2, if necessary.

If you do this, your answer will appear.

No one here can guess what will make you happy, nor do we know anything about your budget.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

justcruisin

If cost isn't a problem look at a gear vendors and the 4.10 rear, that will put you back to around the same ratio as the 3.23's.

GreenMachine

I think I'll go with my original plan, I was just second guessing myself. I don't have a budget, I just want the best bang for the buck. If I paid attention to what I spend on these cars, I'd probably get out of the hobby.
  As far as the gear vendors, that's something I may need to consider.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Dino

I had 2.94 gears with stock tires on my mismatched cammed 440 and it was a really good daily. Very happy on the freeway as well. I then changed the rear tires to 28" tall tires and had to change the gears to 3.23s or it would be shifting between 2nd and 3rd in town. With this combo you can cruise at 70-80 on the freeway and still have plenty power to have fun in town. There's no need to go crazy for a daily.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.