News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

High revving

Started by Shlep 68, March 27, 2017, 07:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shlep 68

Hello today I ran my Chrysler 440 tromped on it then idle super high holly carb any help would be appreciated
Thank you

BLK 68 R/T

Throttle cable slipped in the bracket causing it to stick open?

Shlep 68

Checked cables seems good it's like I'm flooring it ?

crj1968

Yeah just check to see it isn't hung up on something for starters

crj1968

pull the cable off the bracket and make sure the throttle lever goes all the way forward.

XH29N0G

How many RPM is it reving? From the description it sounds way to high to be the choke hanging.  

Have you looked down into the carburetor (with it off) to see if the butterflies are closing.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

Shlep 68

Shlep 68

crj1968

What the? You need lots of gas and air to rev like that. Does not compute....does not compute.    :scratchchin:

BLK 68 R/T

So how high is the idle? I would undo the throttle cable and transmission linkage if present from the carburetor and see if it idles down. If that works then adjust idle screw as needed. Reset/adjust the throttle cable and trans linkage as needed.

Shlep 68

It just revs high when I start it like it's stuck

Shlep 68

I'll try taking the linkage off for the transmission and see thank you

BLK 68 R/T

Another possibility I was thinking is you may have bent the actual throttle lever on the carb depending on if your throttle cable was not set properly before :shruggy:

johnnycharger

I had an issue years ago on a different car - when I started it up it the thing would rev so high I had to shut it down because I thought it would blow up... it was caused by a leaking intake gasket. Fyi.

Shlep 68

flyinlow

Did the PCV valve hose or power brake vacuum line come loose? (would only change the idle by a few hundred rpm's)  Carb bolted down correct?

Shlep 68

Seems good no power brakes

crj1968

If the carbs is indeed closed, you have a massive vacuum leak from somewhere.

It was running fine, you punched it and now this happened, right?  Have the aircleaner off, have someone start it and put something over the top of the carb,  a large piece of foam or whatever (something that can's get succked in, of coursee) to block all the air from going in.  The engine should die.... if not, air is getting in from somewhere else like others have stated

Shlep 68

firefighter3931

The throttle shaft may be sticking causing the butterfly's to hang open. Sometimes a bent throttle shaft will also hang open causing the same description you describe.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Shlep 68

it was the carburator thx everyone

BSB67

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph